Fluid Mechanics; Lift Force on a Roof; Bernoulli's Equation

In summary: I plugged in my numbers and got: \Sigma F=(P_2-P_1)22500+Mg=\frac{1}{2}\rho v_1^222500+Mg=\frac{1}{2}\rho v_1^2.9000
AdkinsJr

Homework Statement

I need to find the net force acting on a flat squared roof with area A while the wind is blowing outside at some velocity, [tex]v_1[/tex].

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's Equation:
[tex]P_1+\frac{1}{2}\rho v_1^2+\rho gy_1= P_2+\frac{1}{2}\rho v_2^2+\rho gy_2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The roof is flat, so the air pushing up from the inside is at the same depth as the air pushing down on the outside, so [tex]y_1=y_2[/tex]. I'm also assuming that the velocity of the air inside the house is zero, [tex]v_2=0[/tex]. So I can rearrange Bernoulli's equation:

[tex]P_2-P_1=\frac{1}{2}\rho v_1^2[/tex]

I think that the net force should be:

[tex]\Sigma F=(P_2-P_1)A-Mg=\frac{1}{2}\rho v_1^2A-Mg[/tex]

M is the mass of the roof. The problem is that I cannot find the mass, nor is it given. I"m told the that the roof is has an area of 225m and the wind is 100 mph. I convert the airspeed to meters-per-second, which is about 44.70 m/s. I can plug these numbers in, along with the known density of air, but it doesn't do any good if I don't know M.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That roof does not float in the air, but is supported by the walls. I am sure the problem means the net force from air. ehild

ehild said:
That roof does not float in the air, but is supported by the walls. I am sure the problem means the net force from air.

ehild

lol, yeah that's probably true for most roofs.

It turns out that my first instinct was correct, I just need to find the net force from air as you say. When I first made the calculation I obtained a number slightly greater than the value given in the back of the book, it turns out that the density of air is either 1.29 kg/m^3 or 1.20 kg/m^3 depending on varying conditions, I was using the former.

Related to Fluid Mechanics; Lift Force on a Roof; Bernoulli's Equation

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids, which include liquids and gases, and the forces that act on them.

2. How is lift force on a roof calculated?

Lift force on a roof can be calculated using Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account factors such as the shape of the roof, the speed and density of the air, and the angle of attack of the roof.

3. What is Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that relates the velocity, pressure, and density of a fluid at a given point. It states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa.

4. How is Bernoulli's equation used in aerodynamics?

Bernoulli's equation is used in aerodynamics to calculate lift force and drag force on objects, such as airplane wings, by analyzing the flow of air around them. It is also used to explain phenomena such as lift and the formation of vortices.

5. Can Bernoulli's equation be applied to all types of fluids?

Bernoulli's equation is based on the principles of conservation of energy and mass, so it can be applied to all types of fluids as long as certain assumptions are met, such as the fluid being incompressible and the flow being steady and non-turbulent.