Need help. How do i start the problem, thank you.

• Thread starter rijo664
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thank you
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to use the first law of thermodynamics to determine the change in internal energy and the number of nutritional calories converted to work and heat by a basketball player who has done 2.43 X 105 J of work and evaporated 0.110 kg of water during a game. The concept of latent heat is brought up and it is explained as the energy absorbed or emitted during a phase transition. The solution involves calculating the net latent heat and combining it with the work done to find the net loss of internal energy.
rijo664

Homework Statement

A basketball player does 2.43 X 105 J of work during her time in the game, and evaporates 0.110 kg of water. Assuming latent heat of 2.26 X 106 J/kg for the perspiration (the same as for water), (a) determine the change in the player’s internal energy, and (b) the number of nutritional calories the player has converted to work and heat.

Homework Equations

First law of thermodynamics
U = Q-W

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help on how to start it and what they mean by latent heat. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The latent heat is the amount of energy absorbed or emitted by a system during a phase transition (liquid -> solid, say) carried out at constant temperature.

You should proceed in calculating what the latent heat is in this instance; then it should be fairly obvious what to do ;)

R.

just calculate net latent heat and this with the work done would be the net loss

Related to Need help. How do i start the problem, thank you.

1. How do I start solving a problem?

To start solving a problem, it is important to first understand what the problem is asking. Read the problem carefully and identify the key information and any given constraints. Then, think about what mathematical or scientific concepts could be applied to solve the problem.

2. What are the steps to solving a problem?

The steps to solving a problem may vary depending on the specific problem, but generally they include: understanding the problem, identifying the necessary information, choosing a method or approach, carrying out the calculations or experiments, and checking the solution for accuracy.

3. How can I break down a complex problem into smaller parts?

Breaking down a complex problem into smaller parts can make it more manageable and easier to solve. To do this, try to identify any sub-problems within the larger problem and focus on solving those individually. You can also try to simplify the problem by using diagrams or visual aids.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on a problem?

If you get stuck on a problem, don't panic. Take a step back and review the information and steps you have already taken. Sometimes taking a break and coming back to the problem with a fresh mind can also be helpful. If you are still stuck, consider reaching out to a teacher, tutor, or classmate for assistance.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Problem-solving skills can be improved through practice and by developing a systematic approach to problem-solving. This includes breaking down problems into smaller parts, being patient and persistent, and seeking out resources and assistance when needed. Reflecting on your problem-solving process and learning from past mistakes can also help you improve your skills.