Finding change in internal energy

In summary, a weight lifter loses 0.150 kg of water through evaporation while exercising, which requires 363000 J of energy. Considering the work done in lifting weights (1.40x105 J), the change in the internal energy of the weight lifter is 223000 J. This energy loss can be replenished by consuming a minimum of 53 nutritional calories (1 nutritional Calorie = 4186 J). The negative value of Q in the first law expression indicates that the body loses heat during evaporation.
BOAS

Homework Statement

In exercising, a weight lifter loses 0.150 kg of water through evaporation, the heat
required to evaporate the water coming from the weight lifter's body. The work done
in lifting weights is 1.40x105 J. (a) Assuming that the latent heat of vapourisation
of perspiration is 2.42x106 Jkg-1, find the change in the internal energy of the weight lifter.

Homework Equations

Q = mL

Δu = Q - w

The Attempt at a Solution

Q = mL
= 0.15 * 2.42x106
= 363000 J

This is the amount of energy required to vapourise the perspiration.

Δu = Q - w

= 363000 - 1.40x105

= 223000 J

Is this correct?

I was half expecting my answer to be negative since the weight lifter will have less energy after lifting weights, but I suppose it makes sense that he would also get hot which is what internal energy measures.

ETA The next part of the question goes on to say this;

(b) Determine the minimum number of nutritional calories of food (1 nutritional
Calorie = 4186 J) that must be consumed to replace the loss of internal energy.

Which supports my feeling that I'm wrong...

One thought I'm having is that since the energy required to vapourise the perspiration is coming from the body, I should be giving it as a negative figure.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Q in the first law expression is defined as the heat gained by the body. In your example, Q should be negative because evaporation of sweat causes the body to lose heat.

I thought that would be the case, thanks.

Related to Finding change in internal energy

1. What is internal energy?

Internal energy is the total energy contained within a system. It includes the kinetic energy of molecules and particles, as well as potential energy from chemical bonds and intermolecular forces.

2. How is internal energy measured?

Internal energy is typically measured in joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ). It can be measured using different methods, such as calorimetry or thermodynamics, depending on the system being studied.

3. What causes changes in internal energy?

Changes in internal energy can be caused by a variety of factors, including heat transfer, work done on or by the system, and chemical reactions. It can also change due to changes in temperature, pressure, or volume.

4. How does one calculate the change in internal energy?

The change in internal energy (ΔU) can be calculated using the equation ΔU = Q + W, where Q represents the heat added to or removed from the system and W represents the work done on or by the system. It can also be calculated using the first law of thermodynamics: ΔU = Q - W.

5. What is the significance of finding change in internal energy?

Finding the change in internal energy is important in understanding the behavior and properties of a system. It can help determine the direction of heat and work flow, as well as the efficiency of energy transfer. It is also a crucial concept in thermodynamics and is used in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.