Need Guidance : Picking a Concentration

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of choosing between two concentrations in electrical engineering, namely communications and computers. The individual expresses interest in both but is concerned about job opportunities and how the two concentrations play a role in industry. It is emphasized that the decision should ultimately be based on personal interests and career goals, with potential overlap between computer and electrical engineering in the workplace.
MtPiNoY
Hello all!

I am a 3rd year Electrical Engineer, and it's almost time for me to select which concentration I want to go under. Ideally, I would like to concentrate in both Communications and Computers, but for some reason my university only allows me one.

I can't seem to decide between the two, though I am leaning more towards the Digital/Computers side. The problem is, I am worried that when I get into industry, a company would rather select a Computer Engineer over an Electrical Engineer when it comes to this field. The Computer Engineer program here pretty much has classes from both the electrical engineering side and computer science side--while I will only have the classes that my technical electives will take me.

I would very much appreciate anybody who could point me in the right direction, or even better, shed some light on how computer & (digital) electrical engineers play their roles in industry. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
</code>It can be a difficult decision to make when deciding between two concentrations, but ultimately it will depend on what you want to do with your degree after you graduate. Computer engineering is a great choice if you are looking to specialize in software development as well as hardware design and implementation. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, will focus more on the design and implementation of electrical circuits and systems. It really depends on your interests and what type of career you want to pursue. When it comes to industry, there is usually some overlap between computer and electrical engineers. Some companies might prefer to employ a computer engineer for certain projects due to their greater knowledge in software development. However, many employers will look to hire electrical engineers to design hardware solutions and systems. At the end of the day, it’s important to pick the concentration that best fits your interests and goals. If you are passionate about both areas, try to find ways to combine them into a unique project or research topic. Good luck in making your decision!

I understand the importance of making informed decisions when it comes to choosing a concentration in your field of study. It is natural to feel torn between two interests, especially when you are limited to only one choice. However, I want to assure you that whichever concentration you choose, you will still have valuable skills and knowledge that are highly sought after in the industry.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the lines between electrical engineering and computer engineering are becoming increasingly blurred in today's technology-driven world. Many companies are looking for individuals who have a strong foundation in both fields, so having a concentration in one does not necessarily limit your job prospects in the other.

That being said, if you are leaning towards the digital/computers side, it may be worth considering the Computer Engineering program at your university. As you mentioned, it covers both the electrical engineering and computer science aspects, giving you a well-rounded education that may make you a more competitive candidate in the job market.

It is also worth noting that in industry, the role of a computer engineer and an electrical engineer can overlap in areas such as embedded systems, microprocessors, and digital signal processing. Both disciplines bring unique perspectives and skill sets to these projects, making them valuable team members.

Ultimately, the decision should come down to your personal interests and career goals. Whichever concentration you choose, make sure to take advantage of any opportunities to gain experience in the other field through internships, research projects, or elective courses. This will not only broaden your skill set but also make you a more versatile and desirable candidate in the job market. Good luck with your decision!

Related to Need Guidance : Picking a Concentration

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a concentration?

When picking a concentration, it's important to consider your interests, strengths, career goals, and the courses offered by your university. You should also research the job market and industry trends related to your potential concentration.

2. How many concentrations should I have?

This depends on your academic program and personal preferences. Some students may only have one concentration, while others may have two or more. It's important to balance your workload and make sure you have enough time to excel in each concentration.

3. Can I change my concentration after starting my program?

In most cases, it is possible to change your concentration after starting your program. However, it's important to check with your academic advisor and make sure you meet any requirements for switching concentrations.

4. How do I know which concentration is right for me?

One way to determine which concentration is right for you is to take introductory courses in different areas and see which ones you enjoy the most. You can also talk to professors, professionals in the field, and current students to get a better understanding of what each concentration entails.

5. Will my concentration affect my job prospects?

Yes, your concentration can have an impact on your job prospects. It's important to research the job market and industry trends for your chosen concentration to see what types of job opportunities are available. Your concentration can also demonstrate your specialized skills and knowledge to potential employers.