Need a job in quantum physics

In summary: Additionally, it is recommended to focus on studying math and science, particularly math, and to consider taking further math courses such as differential equations, linear algebra, and numerical analysis, as well as a year of university chemistry. It is important to understand your personal constraints and the necessary prerequisites for your desired field of study in order to make informed decisions about your education.
shane jeffrey
hi my name is Shane and I am currently in college but my college does not help in that branch of science, I am in England Suffolk and I am 17, I was wondering if anyone had an idea where I could start

Likes HaSnain145
Physics news on Phys.org
Your college does not have a physics program?

Dishsoap said:
Your college does not havehen they go off to university. a physics program?
in the UK college means senior high school. meaning 11 and 12th year of high school.

Combining posts #2 and #3, I believe the most sensible first step would be to enroll in a university physics program.

Likes Demystifier, Student100, bhobba and 2 others
Dishsoap said:
Your college does not have a physics program?
nope :/ I really wish thay did all I want to do is study space and time heh all the theory's are in my head

shane jeffrey said:
nope :/ I really wish thay did all I want to do is study space and time heh all the theory's are in my head

Then study all the math and science you can. Especially math.

Then university. (Then Phd, then post-doc, then...)

take further maths for a level, along with A level physics and normal maths. If the school does not offer further maths, do the mechanics modules and not decision mathematics or statistics IMO. Apply for experienc3e in labs

Why are you attending a college that's not providing you with the education you want? Isn't that kind of like getting on a bus that's heading in the wrong direction?

Likes Dishsoap
Choppy said:
Why are you attending a college that's not providing you with the education you want? Isn't that kind of like getting on a bus that's heading in the wrong direction?

I can't speak for the OP, but I see this happen an awful lot. Usually the cause comes down to parental, legal, financial, or geographical constraints. But when it comes to colleges and their ability to prepare students for physics degrees, I don't think many really take students in the "wrong direction."

It's more a matter of not being able to take students as far as they want to go combined with students not fully appreciating the need for prerequisite material before they get to "the good stuff."

But to advise on ones path, it is helpful to know more about what one has already accomplished and where one wants to go. Some appreciation of the constraints also helps, otherwise, we tend to give advice based on our understanding of "normal" opportunities and constraints which may be much different from the individual seeking advice.

But until one has completed all these, most paths to any field of physics or engineering includes the following:

High school math through mastery of algebra and trigonometry, in the US the course is usually called precalculus which builds on earlier algebra 1 and 2, and geometry.

High school physics - a year long course covering mechanics, thermodynamics, and electricity and magnetism that builds on an earlier physical science course and uses algebra and trig in lots of quantitative problem solving.

University Calculus through multivariable and vector calculus. In the US, this usually takes three semesters.

University Physics for Scientists and Engineers In the US this usually is two semesters, one focused on mechanics and the other on electricity and magnetism.

The paths for special subfields do not begin to diverge until at least these courses are completed. If you get this far and are still at an institution that does not offer the courses you really want, you can productively take a year of University Chemistry, as well as math courses commonly known as Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, and Numerical Analysis.

Choppy said:
See post #3

Related to Need a job in quantum physics

1. How do I get a job in quantum physics?

To get a job in quantum physics, you will need to have a strong educational background in physics, mathematics, and computer science. You should also gain research experience through internships, lab work, or independent projects. Networking and attending conferences can also help you connect with potential job opportunities.

2. What kind of jobs are available in quantum physics?

There are a variety of jobs available in quantum physics, including research positions at universities, national labs, and private companies. Other options include working in quantum computing, quantum engineering, or quantum information science. Government agencies, such as NASA and the Department of Defense, also offer job opportunities in quantum physics.

3. What skills do I need to work in quantum physics?

To work in quantum physics, you will need to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematical and computational concepts. Strong communication and collaboration skills are also important, as quantum physics research often involves working in teams.

4. What are the current developments and advancements in quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a rapidly evolving field, with new discoveries and advancements being made all the time. Some current areas of research include quantum computing, quantum information processing, and quantum cryptography. Other developments include studying quantum entanglement, quantum superposition, and quantum teleportation.

5. How can I stay updated on the latest developments in quantum physics?

You can stay updated on the latest developments in quantum physics by reading scientific journals, attending conferences and seminars, and following reputable sources on social media. Joining professional organizations and networking with others in the field can also help you stay informed about new research and advancements in quantum physics.