Navier Stokes two infinite parallel plates

In summary, the conversation discusses comparing COMSOL results to the analytical solution for laminar flow between flat plates. The comparison involves obtaining the velocity at a point in the flow field and the ΔP/L term. It is noted that the entrance boundary condition for the CFD simulation is a uniform velocity profile, which is different from the analytical solution. The conversation also touches on controlling the initial velocity profile in COMSOL and estimating the pressure drop at the entrance of the pipe. A correction is made to the final equation, with the addition of a factor of x and the clarification of the pressure gradient as an ordinary derivative.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Compare the COMSOL results to the analytical solution for laminar flow between flat plates. Assume no effect of gravity on the flow (g = 0). The comparison will involve obtaining the velocity at a point in the flow field and the ΔP/L term. For example, you can compare the velocity at the center of the flow (d/2), where d (not L) is the distance between the two plates. Keep in mind the entrance boundary condition for the CFD simulation is a uniform velocity profile, which is NOT the same as the analytical solution.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am working on the analytical portion of this problem. I have done the COMSOL simulation. I just want to see if I did my velocity profile correctly, and also how to do a pressure profile. I don't know if anyone here is familiar with COMSOL, but I don't know if it gives the equation of the velocity profile, it seems to just give a graph.

Attachments

• COMSOL 2 attempt 1.pdf
    173.9 KB · Views: 253
  • COMSOL laminar graphs.pdf
    171.8 KB · Views: 327
Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you could ad some legends to you graphs.
What are the x and y-axis on these graphs, what are the different curves, ...
I could guess what it is, but writing it down would be better.

It should be clear that when the initial profile gets smoothed by viscosity, the linear pressure drop should be higher. Once this transient is over, you should be able to recover the traditional formula for the linear pressure drop.
How do you control the initial velocity profile in comsol? (Vy(y=0))

You assumed vy dvy/dy = 0 .
This is only true is the "stationary regime", not in the transient regime.
Your stationary solution is very likely correct.
You might try to estimate what happens in the transient phase by not assuming dvy/dy = 0.
just for a quick and dirty approximation, you may just replace vy dvy/dy by vyo dvy/dy,
where vyo is a constant. (or a similar approximation)

We assumed that it is at steady state.

You can have a steady state with vy dvy/dy =/= 0 .
Note in the question:

"Keep in mind the entrance boundary condition for the CFD simulation is a uniform velocity profile, which is NOT the same as the analytical solution."

You could have fun to also estimate analytically the stronger pressure drop at the entrance of the pipe.

Maylis said:
We assumed that it is at steady state.
Your steady state solution was very nicely done. One correction: you lost a factor of x in your final equation. It should be -xd, not -d. Also, the dp/dy should be an ordinary derivative, not a partial, since p varies only with y.

Chet

Thank you, I found the missing x. Also, thanks for clearing up the pressure gradient as far as when its partial and when ordinary. One grad student writes as a partial and the other as a full, so I wasn't sure which one was correct, and thought it was too minor of a detail to ask in class.

Related to Navier Stokes two infinite parallel plates

1. What is the Navier Stokes equation for two infinite parallel plates?

The Navier Stokes equation for two infinite parallel plates is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that describes the motion of a viscous fluid between two flat, parallel surfaces. It takes into account the effects of viscosity, pressure, and inertia on the fluid flow.

2. How is the Navier Stokes equation derived for two infinite parallel plates?

The Navier Stokes equation for two infinite parallel plates is derived by applying the principles of conservation of mass and conservation of momentum to the fluid flow between two parallel plates. This results in a set of partial differential equations that describe the change in velocity and pressure of the fluid over time.

3. What are the boundary conditions for the Navier Stokes equation for two infinite parallel plates?

The boundary conditions for the Navier Stokes equation for two infinite parallel plates include the no-slip condition, which states that the fluid velocity at the surface of the plates is equal to the velocity of the plates, and the no-penetration condition, which states that the fluid cannot pass through the plates.

4. What are some common applications of the Navier Stokes equation for two infinite parallel plates?

The Navier Stokes equation for two infinite parallel plates has many practical applications, including in the design of airfoils for aircraft, the study of blood flow in arteries, and the development of fluid pumps and turbines. It is also used in weather forecasting and oceanography to model the motion of air and water currents.

5. Are there any limitations to the Navier Stokes equation for two infinite parallel plates?

While the Navier Stokes equation for two infinite parallel plates is a powerful tool for studying fluid flow, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the fluid is continuous and has constant properties, and it does not account for turbulence, which can significantly affect the behavior of the fluid. Additionally, it can be difficult to solve analytically, so numerical methods are often used to approximate solutions.