Navier Stokes thin film on infinite wall

In summary: This is because the pressure is constant throughout the falling film, equal to the air pressure. Therefore, the pressure gradient in both the x and z directions is zero. This is due to neglecting hydrostatic pressure changes in the surrounding air. In summary, for steady, incompressible, parallel, laminar flow of a film of oil falling down an infinite vertical wall, with thickness "h" and gravity acting in the negative Z-direction, the velocity and pressure fields can be calculated using the Navier-Stokes equations. The pressure field is constant, with a pressure gradient of zero in both the x and z directions, due to neglecting hydrostatic pressure changes in the surrounding air.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider steady, incompressible, parallel, laminar flow of a film of oil falling down an infinite vertical wall (Figure P-1). The oil film thickness is “h” and gravity acts in the negative Z-direction (downward on the figure). There is no applied pressure driving the flow – the oil falls by gravity alone. Calculate the velocity and pressure fields in the oil film and sketch the normalized velocity profile. Neglect hydrostatic pressure changes in the surrounding air.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello,

I wanted to check if I am doing my Navier-Stokes correctly. Also, why is the dP/dz term zero conceptually? Does that have to do with the last statement ''Neglect hydrostatic pressure changes in the surrounding air''?

Also, I do not know how to calculate the ''pressure field''. First of all, is this the pressure profile, just to understand that the names are synonymous. Secondly, how would I go about calculating a pressure profile? From what I recall, all I remember Navier-Stokes doing is calculating velocity profiles.

Attachments

• COMSOL 1 attempt 1.pdf
    171.6 KB · Views: 868
  • Figure P-1.png
    Figure P-1.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,073
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still confused about how to go about solving the pressure profile. How do I do that?

Maylis said:

Hello,

I wanted to check if I am doing my Navier-Stokes correctly.

Yes. Nice job.

Also, why is the dP/dz term zero conceptually? Does that have to do with the last statement ''Neglect hydrostatic pressure changes in the surrounding air''?

Yes. The air pressure is independent of z at the interface. The normal stress at the interface between the air and the liquid has to be continuous, so, it follows from this that the fluid pressure at the interface is equal to the air pressure. Thus, at the interface at least, the fluid pressure is not varying with z. From the force balance in the x direction, the derivative of pressure with respect to x is also zero. So the pressure is also independent of x. So, throughout the falling film, the fluid pressure is equal to the air pressure.
Also, I do not know how to calculate the ''pressure field''. First of all, is this the pressure profile, just to understand that the names are synonymous.
The pressure field is the pressure expressed as a function of x and z.
Secondly, how would I go about calculating a pressure profile? From what I recall, all I remember Navier-Stokes doing is calculating velocity profiles.
We showed above how we can establish the pressure field for this problem. Basically, you need to consider how the stresses are varying. But, in addition to providing the velocity field, the Navier Stokes equations are also capable of delivering the pressure distribution.

Chet

So that means the pressure profile is dp/dx = 0 and dp/dz = 0?

Maylis said:
So that means the pressure profile is dp/dx = 0 and dp/dz = 0?
Yes.

Related to Navier Stokes thin film on infinite wall

1. What is Navier-Stokes thin film equation?

The Navier-Stokes thin film equation is a partial differential equation that describes the motion of a thin layer of fluid on a solid surface. It takes into account the effects of viscosity, gravity, and surface tension on the fluid flow.

2. What is an infinite wall boundary condition?

An infinite wall boundary condition is a boundary condition in which the fluid layer is assumed to be infinitely long and in contact with a solid surface that extends infinitely in all directions. This means that there is no slip between the fluid and the wall, and the fluid velocity is zero at the wall.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Navier-Stokes thin film equation?

The Navier-Stokes thin film equation assumes that the fluid is incompressible, the flow is laminar, and the film is thin enough that the fluid velocity is constant in the direction perpendicular to the wall. It also assumes that the fluid is subject to gravity and surface tension forces.

4. What is the significance of the Navier-Stokes thin film equation?

The Navier-Stokes thin film equation is important in understanding the behavior of thin fluid films, such as those found in coating and lubrication processes. It also has applications in microfluidics and thin film technology.

5. What are some challenges in solving the Navier-Stokes thin film equation?

The Navier-Stokes thin film equation is a complex partial differential equation, and finding analytical solutions is often difficult. Numerical methods are often used to approximate solutions, but these can be computationally intensive and require careful consideration of boundary conditions and initial conditions.