Falling Film Problem: Velocity Profile Independent of z

In summary, the conversation discusses a falling film problem and the confusion about the velocity profile not depending on z. The suggested equation for the final velocity profile is given and the person tries to understand why gravity does not affect the fluid speed. It is suggested that at steady state, the gravitational force is balanced by the drag force and before that, the film is accelerating.
Wisc17

Homework Statement

This is not exactly a homework problem. I am trying to review material so that I can tutor it this semester. In the falling film problem, as described in this link: http://www.syvum.com/cgi/online/serve.cgi/eng/fluid/fluid204.html, I am confused why the velocity profile does not depend on z. I understand why there is dependence on the x direction, but do not understand why the fluid is not speeding up as it moves downward toward the Earth due to gravity.

Homework Equations

Final Velocity Profile: vz(x)=ρgδ2cosβ[1-(x/δ)2]/(2μ)

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought that is perhaps since it is a steady state problem, the fluid shouldn't be speeding up over time, because {accumulation} = {in}-{out} but I am really not sure. I can do the calculations, I just don't understand why gravity does not affect the fluid speed.

Physics news on Phys.org
At steady state, the gravitational force is exactly balanced by the drag force. At locations higher up, before steady state is established, the film is accelerating. This is like one of those terminal velocity problems for a body falling with air drag present.

chet

Related to Falling Film Problem: Velocity Profile Independent of z

1. What is the "Falling Film Problem"?

The Falling Film Problem refers to the study of the flow of a thin liquid film down a vertical surface, such as a wall or a tube. It is a common phenomenon in industrial processes and is of interest to scientists and engineers due to its complex behavior and practical applications.

2. What is meant by "Velocity Profile Independent of z" in the context of the Falling Film Problem?

The term "Velocity Profile Independent of z" refers to the fact that the velocity of the falling film is not affected by its position along the vertical surface (z-direction). In other words, the velocity of the film is constant at any given height, regardless of its location on the surface.

3. Why is understanding the Velocity Profile Independent of z important in the study of the Falling Film Problem?

Understanding the Velocity Profile Independent of z is important because it allows scientists and engineers to simplify the mathematical equations used to model and analyze the falling film flow. This simplification makes it easier to develop practical solutions and optimize industrial processes that involve falling films.

4. What factors can affect the Velocity Profile Independent of z in the Falling Film Problem?

Several factors can affect the Velocity Profile Independent of z in the Falling Film Problem, including the properties of the liquid (such as viscosity and surface tension), the geometry of the surface, and the flow rate. These factors can alter the shape and thickness of the film, which in turn can affect the velocity profile.

5. How is the Velocity Profile Independent of z experimentally determined in the Falling Film Problem?

The Velocity Profile Independent of z can be experimentally determined through techniques such as laser Doppler anemometry or particle image velocimetry. These methods allow for the measurement of the velocity at different locations along the surface, which can be used to validate and refine mathematical models of the falling film flow.