Natural Frequency of Cantilevered Coil

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the natural frequency of a cantilevered spiral coil. The existing formula for calculating the frequency of a standard beam is not suitable for this case due to the non-uniform cross-section and spiral shape of the coil. It is recommended to use finite element analysis (FEA) to accurately account for all the factors that affect the frequency of the cantilevered spiral coil.
Sami Lakka
I would like to calculate the natural frequency of a cantilevered spiral coil. So instead of having a standard beam which is straight, I have a beam which has one end fixed to an axle and the beam is spiralled several times around the axle. The end of the beam comes out of the spiral and runs straight for some length.

I know that I can compute the frequency of the standard beam using:

f=1/(2*pi) * sqrt( (3 * E * I)/(l^3*0.23m))

where E = elastic modulus, I=Inertia, l=length of the beam and m=mass of the beam.

Can I use the same formula by just noting the increased length?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Or are there any special considerations that I have to take into account?The formula you provided applies to straight beams and is not suitable for calculating the frequency of a cantilevered spiral coil. The formula assumes a uniform cross-section, which is not applicable in this case. In addition, the spiral shape will affect the stiffness and mass distribution of the beam, which will need to be taken into account when calculating the frequency of the cantilevered spiral coil. If possible, it would be best to use a finite element analysis (FEA) to calculate the frequency of the cantilevered spiral coil. FEA is a computer simulation technique that can accurately simulate the behavior of complex structures. This would allow you to account for all the factors that might influence the frequency of the cantilevered spiral coil, including its shape, mass distribution, and stiffness.

Related to Natural Frequency of Cantilevered Coil

1. What is the natural frequency of a cantilevered coil?

The natural frequency of a cantilevered coil refers to the frequency at which the coil will vibrate when it is not subjected to any external forces. This frequency is determined by the physical properties of the coil, such as its length, diameter, and material composition.

2. How is the natural frequency of a cantilevered coil calculated?

The natural frequency of a cantilevered coil can be calculated using the formula f = 1/(2π)√(K/m), where f is the natural frequency, K is the stiffness constant of the coil, and m is the mass of the coil.

3. What factors affect the natural frequency of a cantilevered coil?

The natural frequency of a cantilevered coil is affected by several factors, including the length and diameter of the coil, the material it is made of, and any external forces acting on the coil.

4. Why is the natural frequency of a cantilevered coil important?

The natural frequency of a cantilevered coil is important because it determines the coil's response to external forces. If the external force matches the natural frequency, it can cause resonance and potentially damage the coil.

5. How can the natural frequency of a cantilevered coil be changed?

The natural frequency of a cantilevered coil can be changed by altering its physical properties, such as its length, diameter, or material composition. It can also be changed by adding mass or adjusting the external forces acting on the coil.