Deflection of partially loaded cantilever beam with non-homogeneous EI

elepolli
TL;DR Summary: I have a cantilever beam with fixed end, known rectangular cross section and total length h. A uniform load is applied on the beam from a distance L from the fixed end, to the free end. The E modulus and inertia I are known, and they are two different constant values for 0<x<L and L<x<0.
I want to know the deflection w(h) of the beam at the free end.

This is my approach, what do you think?
IMG20240205134911.jpg
IMG20240205134911.jpg17071360447057202525035132297061.jpg
sideways beam 01.png
17071360447057202525035132297061.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your image is loaded sideways.

For ## 0 < x_1 \leq L_1## you solve

$$ \frac{d^2y}{dx_1^2} = \frac{M_1(x_1)}{E_1I_1} $$

Then, for ## L_1 < x_2 \leq L_2## you can solve

$$ \frac{d^2y}{dx_2^2} = \frac{M_2(x_2)}{E_2I_2} $$

Where the constants of integration (slope, deflection) at ##x_2 = 0 ## come from the end condition of the first section.

erobz said:
Your image is loaded sideways.

For ## 0 < x_1 \leq L_1## you solve

$$ \frac{d^2y}{dx_1^2} = \frac{M_1(x_1)}{E_1I_1} $$

Then, for ## L_1 < x_2 \leq L_2## you can solve

$$ \frac{d^2y}{dx_2^2} = \frac{M_2(x_2)}{E_2I_2} $$

Where the constants of integration (slope, deflection) at ##x_2 = 0 ## come from the end condition of the first section.
How should I calculate $M_1$ and $M_2$?

elepolli said:
How should I calculate $M_1$ and $M_2$?
Find the reactions at point A( force and moment). Then you write the internal moment at the end of the section as function of x in the typical way(by inspection, or integrating the shear).

Related to Deflection of partially loaded cantilever beam with non-homogeneous EI

1. What is a cantilever beam with non-homogeneous EI?

A cantilever beam with non-homogeneous EI refers to a beam that is fixed at one end (cantilevered) and has a varying flexural rigidity (EI) along its length. This means that the beam's ability to resist bending changes as you move along its span.

2. How does the deflection of a partially loaded cantilever beam with non-homogeneous EI differ from a fully loaded one?

The deflection of a partially loaded cantilever beam with non-homogeneous EI is more complex than that of a fully loaded beam because the distribution of load and flexural rigidity varies along the beam's length. This leads to a non-linear deflection profile that must be calculated using advanced engineering principles.

3. What factors influence the deflection of a partially loaded cantilever beam with non-homogeneous EI?

The deflection of a partially loaded cantilever beam with non-homogeneous EI is influenced by factors such as the magnitude and distribution of the load, the variation in flexural rigidity along the beam's length, and the boundary conditions at the fixed end of the beam. These factors must be carefully considered when analyzing the beam's deflection.

4. How can the deflection of a partially loaded cantilever beam with non-homogeneous EI be calculated?

The deflection of a partially loaded cantilever beam with non-homogeneous EI can be calculated using advanced structural analysis techniques such as the finite element method or analytical methods based on differential equations. These calculations require a thorough understanding of the beam's geometry, material properties, and loading conditions.

5. What are some practical applications of analyzing the deflection of partially loaded cantilever beams with non-homogeneous EI?

Understanding the deflection behavior of partially loaded cantilever beams with non-homogeneous EI is crucial in structural engineering and design. This knowledge can be used to optimize the design of beams in buildings, bridges, and other structures to ensure they can safely support varying loads without excessive deflection or failure.