MySQL DDL Column Edit is Disabled. Why?

In summary: Enter the code in a SQL panel:ALTER TABLE `test`.`nokey` CHANGE COLUMN `Column 1` `Column 1` INT(11) NOT NULL , ADD PRIMARY KEY (`Column 1`) ;Click on the button with the lightning to execute the statement.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I am using MySQL in order to design an ERD (Entity Relation Diagram) , and I can make use of
indexes, triggers, etc. but for some reason, the columns tab , which allows me to add data or just edit the
tables is disabled. I have searched online without success. Any ideas on how to enable it ?
Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Hi All,
I am using MySQL in order to design an ERD (Entity Relation Diagram) , and I can make use of
indexes, triggers, etc. but for some reason, the columns tab , which allows me to add data or just edit the
tables is disabled. I have searched online without success. Any ideas on how to enable it ?
Thanks.
What client are you using?

Likes WWGD
Do you have an pkey defined for the table?
I've noticed similar behavior in phpMyAdmin when a pKey hasn't been specified.

Likes WWGD
Samy_A said:
What client are you using?
Sorry, it is MySQL workbench. @cpscdave : I cannot even get to the point of choosing a PK for the table

Last edited:
cpscdave said:
Do you have an pkey defined for the table?
I've noticed similar behavior in phpMyAdmin when a pKey hasn't been specified.
Good catch.
WWGD said:
Sorry, it is MySQL workbench.
I tried it with a table with no PK. MySQL Workbench doesn't let me edit table data. phMyAdmin and HeidiSQL do let me edit table data.

Samy_A said:
Good catch.

I tried it with a table with no PK. MySQL Workbench doesn't let me edit table data. phMyAdmin and HeidiSQL do let me edit table data.

Maybe there is a setting in phpMyAdmin that disables this. I don't have any other admin tools installed currently so can't try them out :)

cpscdave said:
Maybe there is a setting in phpMyAdmin that disables this. I don't have any other admin tools installed currently so can't try them out :)
Thanks for your advice, cpscdave, but I cannot even get to choose a PK for the table.

WWGD said:
Thanks for your advice, cpscdave, but I cannot even get to choose a PK for the table.
My MySQL Workbench is friendlier, and let's me add the PK.

Can you execute the DDL code to create the PK?

Samy_A said:
My MySQL Workbench is friendlier, and let's me add the PK.

Can you execute the DDL code to create the PK?
Thanks, Samy_A, never done it before, could you please suggest a ref for how to do it? I know how to use DDL in general to create and populate (insert values into) tables, but I have never done it in MySQL workbench.

WWGD said:
Thanks, Samy_A, never done it before, could you please suggest a ref for how to do it? I know how to use DDL in general to create and populate (insert values into) table, but I have never done it in MySQL workbench.
Enter the code in a SQL panel:
SQL:
ALTER TABLE `test`.`nokey` 
CHANGE COLUMN `Column 1` `Column 1` INT(11) NOT NULL 
, ADD PRIMARY KEY (`Column 1`) ;
Click on the button with the lightning to execute the statement.

Likes WWGD

Related to MySQL DDL Column Edit is Disabled. Why?

1. Why is the "Edit" option disabled for columns in MySQL DDL?

The "Edit" option for columns in MySQL DDL is disabled because once a table is created, the structure of the table cannot be changed. This is to ensure data consistency and prevent any accidental changes to the table's structure.

2. Can I still modify the columns in a MySQL table without using the "Edit" option?

Yes, you can still modify the columns in a MySQL table by using the ALTER TABLE command. This command allows you to add, modify, or drop columns from an existing table.

3. Does this mean I cannot change the data type of a column in a MySQL table?

No, you can still change the data type of a column in a MySQL table using the ALTER TABLE command. However, this will cause the data in that column to be converted to the new data type, which may result in data loss or errors if the data cannot be converted.

4. Can I enable the "Edit" option for columns in MySQL DDL?

No, the "Edit" option cannot be enabled for columns in MySQL DDL as it goes against the fundamental principles of database design, which prioritize data consistency and integrity.

5. Are there any alternatives to using the "Edit" option for columns in MySQL DDL?

Yes, instead of directly modifying the columns, you can create a new table with the desired structure and use the INSERT INTO SELECT statement to transfer the data from the old table to the new one. This allows you to effectively "edit" the columns in a more controlled manner.