Functions of two variables evolving in time with gnuplot

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem with creating multiple .png files for each time step in gnuplot. The solution involved using a loop file and adding a line to specify the input file and title for each plot.
Telemachus
Hi there. I am making some numerical tests, and printing the results in a data file. The data file contains the Cartesian coordinates, and the function to be plotted at the x,y point for each time t in columns: x,y,f(x,y). I could add a fourth column for the time step, or equally print each time step in different files. I have already a script for gnuplot to plot in contour diagrams. I would like to extend this script in such a way that it prints a .png file for each time. This could be done just by using a single data file with x,y,f(x,y),t information in columns, or using different data files with the x,y,f(x,y) information for each time as well. The idea is to use a loop file, but I don't know how to do this.

Does anyone here knows how to do this in gnuplot?

I've tried to call to this file:

t = t + 0.1
outfile = sprintf('animation/analytical1%02.0f.png',10*t)

set output outfile

set terminal png size 1024,768

splot ('fort.1%02.0f',10*t)

if(t<end_time) reread;

From this I get all the png files, but it looks like it is not reading the information.

Originally, for a single time I had:

splot 'file.dat' using 1:2:3

But now if I put "using 1:2:3" the script gives me an error.

Edit: Ok. It seems now it works, I added the line:

infile = sprintf('fort.1%02.0f',10*t)

splot infile using 1:2:3

Edit: Fixed. Now it works.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I added the line:infile = sprintf('fort.1%02.0f',10*t)splot infile using 1:2:3 title sprintf('Time = %2.2f', t) Thanks for your help.

Related to Functions of two variables evolving in time with gnuplot

1. What is gnuplot and how does it work?

Gnuplot is a command-driven open-source software used for creating scientific graphs and plots. It can be used to plot functions of two variables evolving in time by using a combination of mathematical equations and data points. It works by accepting input commands and data, and then generating high-quality 2D and 3D plots based on the provided information.

2. What are the benefits of using gnuplot for plotting functions of two variables evolving in time?

Gnuplot offers a wide range of features and functionalities, making it a powerful tool for scientific visualization. Some of the benefits of using gnuplot for plotting functions of two variables evolving in time include its ability to handle large datasets, its support for various file formats, and its customizable plot options.

3. Can gnuplot handle complex mathematical functions?

Yes, gnuplot has a built-in parser that can handle complex mathematical functions. It supports a wide range of mathematical operations, including trigonometric, logarithmic, and exponential functions. Additionally, gnuplot allows for the use of user-defined functions, making it possible to plot even more complex equations.

4. Can I animate the plot of functions of two variables evolving in time with gnuplot?

Yes, gnuplot has the ability to create animated plots by using the plot with gif command. This allows for the visualization of how a function changes over time. It is a useful tool for understanding the behavior of functions and identifying any patterns or trends.

5. Is gnuplot difficult to learn and use for plotting functions of two variables evolving in time?

Gnuplot has a relatively simple syntax, making it easy to learn and use for plotting functions of two variables evolving in time. There are also plenty of online resources and tutorials available for beginners to get started with gnuplot. With some practice, anyone can become proficient in using gnuplot for scientific visualization.