My Dehumidifier Hygrometer Differs From Handheld by 10% on RH....OK?

In summary: Age matters too; humidity meter accuracy drifts/decays over time. I'm not clear on the operating principle, but whatever it is, it is a lot less stable/repeatable than, say, a temperature measurement.Ah, so you're saying that the drift might be more significant over time for humidity meters?Age matters too; humidity meter accuracy drifts/decays over time. I'm not clear on the operating principle, but whatever it is, it is a lot less stable/repeatable than, say, a temperature measurement.If you are measuring relative humidity on a regular basis, it's probably a good idea to get a more accurate device.If you are
kyphysics
The relative humidity readings are:

49% dehu
39% handheld

That's when they are placed side-by-side in the same area. Could both be roughly accurate with a small margin of error or could one (or both) just be wildly off?

Engineering news on Phys.org
kyphysics said:
The relative humidity readings are:

49% dehu
39% handheld

That's when they are placed side-by-side in the same area. Could both be roughly accurate with a small margin of error or could one (or both) just be wildly off?
Yes. All of those are possibilities. How would you expect us to know?

DaveE said:
Yes. All of those are possibilities. How would you expect us to know?
Psychic abilities. :smile: Maybe I should have specified that I'm just curious too how people would handle this?

Buy a third hygrometer? lol Just average them? ...etc.?

• Haha
Likes DaveE
Relative humidity measurements at the level of a common, cheap device is more about magic than accuracy.

You should consider those readings equally as 'comfortable'. That'll just fit the accuracy of such devices.

If you prefer to push this to the extreme then as a calibration, you can check the level of comfort according to the readings.

BTW thermometers are the same (to some extent). So just keep in mind that if you wish to know the temperature, then you should never buy a second thermometer, since that'll only bring confusion :wink:

What is the make/model of the handheld? It might have a published accuracy and I'd expect it to be much better than the one on the humidifier.

Ideally, a RH measuring device should 'equilibrate' quickly - In my experience that isn't always the case. Running the measuring devices side-by-side for an extended length of time might produce a smaller error.

Age matters too; humidity meter accuracy drifts/decays over time. I'm not clear on the operating principle, but whatever it is, it is a lot less stable/repeatable than, say, a temperature measurement.

• Informative
Likes kyphysics
russ_watters said:
I'm not clear on the operating principle,
Stretching hair (human or animal, occasionally spider silk), or assorted artificial fibers in torsion mechanisms, or other mechanical linkages, ...

Likes Keith_McClary
Bystander said:
Stretching hair (human or animal, occasionally spider silk), or assorted artificial fibers in torsion mechanisms, or other mechanical linkages, ...
Even in a digital meter?

Bystander said:
Maybe for the cheap ones. Good sensors use engineered materials and look for changes in physical parameters like dielectric constant or resistivity. Trust me, you won't find farm animals in the production processes of modern sensor manufacturers.

https://www.fierceelectronics.com/components/choosing-a-humidity-sensor-a-review-three-technologies

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/materials-science/humidity-sensor

Likes russ_watters
russ_watters said:
What is the make/model of the handheld? It might have a published accuracy and I'd expect it to be much better than the one on the humidifier.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTPTG1J/?tag=pfamazon01-20

~$15 Probably one of the cheaper ones, Russ. Not that price determines quality always, but just saying.

Rive said:
Relative humidity measurements at the level of a common, cheap device is more about magic than accuracy.

BTW thermometers are the same (to some extent). So just keep in mind that if you wish to know the temperature, then you should never buy a second thermometer, since that'll only bring confusion :wink:
re: accuracy relative to price
How would one know the price threshold for accuracy? ...w/o buying the biggest/baddest hygrometer out there (w/ the assumption it's the most accurate)? It's a device I find useful, but wouldn't spend $100 on, for example...$50...mehhhh...okay, I'd spend that.

re: thermometer accuracy
Any data on the margin of error we're talking about for your average thermometer?

Btw, I am mainly interested in RH levels for mold growth thresholds (making sure my environment is below those levels). Usually not a big deal to me otherwise.

I have two electronic-based hygrometers in the same room about 7 feet apart, they are both an 'added feature' to battery operated clocks. One reads 38%, the other 58%.

A hygrometer in the dehumidifier reads 40%, which experience shows reads low relative to a wet-bulb/dry-bulb hygrometer. (currently out of service because of a mold-contaminated wick :cry:)

Based on the above numbers, I would consider random electronic hygrometers to have accuracy of ±10% of full scale.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes kyphysics, Rive and russ_watters
Also since they measure relative humidity, if you are holding your handheld in hot hands it may affect the reading.

• Informative
Likes kyphysics
kyphysics said:
How would one know the price threshold for accuracy? .
I don't know: never bothered with devices above $30...

kyphysics said:
Any data on the margin of error we're talking about for your average thermometer?
By my experience, for these common/cheap things 2-3 degree (within the usual 0-50 degree Celsius) is pretty common.

kyphysics said:
Btw, I am mainly interested in RH levels for mold growth thresholds
That's a nasty topic, and contrary to the intuitive approach temperature is more important than raw RH value.

We have a wood stove (masonry heater, actually), and at winter RH can go as low as 25-30% (despite any effort to raise it a bit to the not-so-itchy range). And we still has some mold in the corners - mostly, because the comfortable temperature is way too high (around 23 degree Celsius) in this under-insulated house.

Check the RH vs. dew point graphs! Those are the most useful data for mold prevention.

kyphysics said:
re: accuracy relative to price
How would one know the price threshold for accuracy? ...w/o buying the biggest/baddest hygrometer out there (w/ the assumption it's the most accurate)? It's a device I find useful, but wouldn't spend $100 on, for example...$50...mehhhh...okay, I'd spend that.
The only way to really know an instrument's accuracy (when new) is to buy something with a published accuracy. For example, here's one with +/-5% accuracy for $27 USD:
http://www.extech.com/products/RHM15

You can find +/-2%, but they are typically much more expensive.
kyphysics said:
re: thermometer accuracy
Temperature is much easier to measure. Typically you can find +/- 1-2F (or 1C) accuracy even in pretty inexpensive meters.

• Informative
Likes kyphysics

Related to My Dehumidifier Hygrometer Differs From Handheld by 10% on RH....OK?

1. Why is there a difference of 10% on RH between my dehumidifier and handheld hygrometer?

The difference in readings between your dehumidifier and handheld hygrometer could be due to a number of factors. It is important to note that both devices are not 100% accurate and can have a margin of error. Additionally, the placement and calibration of the devices can also affect their readings. It is recommended to place both devices in the same location and compare their readings over time to get a more accurate understanding of the humidity levels in your space.

2. Which device should I trust for measuring humidity levels?

Both your dehumidifier and handheld hygrometer can be used as a guide for measuring humidity levels. However, it is important to keep in mind that they are not 100% accurate and can have a margin of error. It is recommended to use both devices and compare their readings to get a better understanding of the humidity levels in your space.

3. Can the difference in readings affect the effectiveness of my dehumidifier?

The difference in readings between your dehumidifier and handheld hygrometer should not significantly affect the effectiveness of your dehumidifier. However, if there is a large difference in readings, it is recommended to check the placement and calibration of both devices to ensure accuracy.

4. How often should I calibrate my dehumidifier and handheld hygrometer?

The frequency of calibration for your dehumidifier and handheld hygrometer can vary depending on the device and its usage. It is recommended to refer to the manufacturer's instructions for specific calibration guidelines. In general, it is recommended to calibrate both devices at least once a year to ensure accurate readings.

5. Is there a way to adjust the readings on my dehumidifier or handheld hygrometer?

Most dehumidifiers and handheld hygrometers do not have the option to adjust their readings. However, if you notice a consistent difference in readings, you can use this information to make adjustments in your space, such as changing the humidity settings on your dehumidifier or adding more or less moisture to the air, to achieve your desired humidity level.