Can Classical Music Improve Concentration in Studying?

In summary, the author has a hard time studying because of distractions like people walking by or people talking. If he is at university then he can't concentrate because there are too many people around. At home, he can't study because he sits in front of the computer and then steals time by watching Youtube or checking email. He thinks of trying to block youtube but then he needs it sometimes for studying. He suggests getting some classical music to help him concentrate but if he is at university then he can listen to it on his mp3 player. He also suggests trying out a website called Pandora where you can create your own stations with music. He doesn't like listening to music while he studies, but his wife loves it. He suggests trying
Pithikos
I have a real hard time studying. If I am at university then I can't concentrate. I get distracted by just someone passing behind me or others talking.
If I stay home I can't study as I sit in front of the computer and then I always steal some time by staying on youtube or checking my email. I thought of blocking youtube but the thing is that sometimes I need it to assist for my studying.

I thought of getting some classical music and try with that. If I am at university then I can listen to the music through my mp3 and if I am home it will be easier to study at bed with the music playing.

So do you have any suggestions?

Science news on Phys.org
Have you tried http://www.pandora.com/#/stations/create/"? I can't listen to music while I study, but my wife loves that website. It's much more conducive to productive studying as well, since one doesn't need to micromanage a playlist / song order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dembadon said:
Have you tried http://www.pandora.com/#/stations/create/"? I can't listen to music while I study, but my wife loves that website. It's much more conducive to productive studying as well, since one doesn't need to micromanage a playlist / song order.

"We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S." Damn music industry

Last edited by a moderator:
Soft music, preferably instrumentals, is best since lyrics are usually distracting.

fillipeano said:
Soft music, preferably instrumentals, is best since lyrics are usually distracting.

Yes but I would like some more specific suggestion. There must be some cd collections out there for just this. I thought of downloading Mozart or something but the thing is that not all tracks are going to be in the same tempo and tone. So far I found one called "The Most Relaxing Classical Music in the Universe".

Depends on the style of music you are looking for. Classical? Rock? Hip-Hop? Metal? There are a number of different instrumental artists out there, it just depends on what style of music you want.
I prefer instrumental rock most of the time, even soft rock. Explosions in the Sky, Santana, and Jordan Rudess all make great albums.
Sometimes I'll go heaver with bands like Liquid Tension Experiment, Cloudkicker, Russian Circles and Scale the Summit.
Yoshida Brothers use the Japanese Shamisen to make great music as well.

There's always classical as well. Bach, Beethoven, Edward Elgar, etc.. It boils down to what genre you prefer.

As I understand your need, I would recommend acclimating to a classical station on the web (or on FM). My Czech friend told me of a great classical station out of Switzerland, whose frequency I do not recall.

Pandora, as mentioned above, and make a station of your favorite classical composer. I have one of Mozart, and it's my primary studying music.

I find anything with drum beats or lyrics distracting. Besides, studying while listening to mozart makes you feel like a badass. One time I got up from studying to pour myself some coffee while I was still listening to Mozart and it was the most epic cup of coffee ever poured.

Symphony #25 is very motivating, as is Beethoven's 9th symphony. Mozart's lighter stuff like #40 have an intellectual feel to them.

Music selection is probably totally personal and arbitrary, but I actually liked black/death metal for a long time beacause:

a) upbeat, so good psychofuel
b) can't understand lyrics, so no semantic distractions
c) rich tones with melodic breaks

The Gipsy Kings:

a) upbeat
b) if you don't know Calo, no sematic distraction
c) complex mixolydian tones and syncopated beats

Bluegrass:

a) upbeat
b) simple lyrics, not too deep, easy to ignore
c) major pentatonic, usually not my favorite, but bluegrass utilizes in a way that is mysteriously melancholy while still being hopeful.

Proton Soup said:

That sounds good but I don't think it's possible to use your brain when listening to that. Classical music is the best I guess..

1MileCrash I know what you mean. I drank wine yesterday while studying to slow paced classical music under a spotlight and felt like a god :biggrin:

I always enjoy listening to classical piano sonatas while I'm studying... nice and soothing.

Related to Can Classical Music Improve Concentration in Studying?

1. What type of music is best for studying?

The type of music that is best for studying varies from person to person. Some prefer classical music, while others find instrumental music or nature sounds to be more helpful. It is important to choose music that is calming and not too distracting.

2. How does music affect studying?

Music can affect studying in both positive and negative ways. It can help improve focus and concentration, but it can also be a distraction if the music is too loud or has lyrics. It is important to find the right type of music that works for you.

3. Is it better to study with or without music?

This depends on the individual. Some people find it easier to study with music, while others prefer complete silence. It is important to experiment and see what works best for you.

4. Can listening to music while studying improve memory?

There is some evidence that suggests listening to music while studying can improve memory. However, the type of music and volume levels also play a role. It is important to choose music that is not too distracting and to keep the volume at a moderate level.

5. How long should I listen to music while studying?

The duration of music while studying also varies from person to person. Some prefer to listen to music throughout their entire study session, while others find it helpful to take breaks and switch up the type of music they are listening to. It is important to find a balance and not overdo it with music, as it can become a distraction.