Multivariate Taylor expansion or else a double integral identity

In summary, the conversation is discussing taking the Taylor series expansion of a function, f(x,y) = \cos\sqrt{x+y} and finding an asymptotic expression for a double integral involving this function. The person asking the question is trying to remember an identity for transforming the integrand from f(x,y) to f(x+y) and wonders if it only applies in the case of a square domain. Another person responds with a possible solution for the Taylor series expansion and suggests that the identity may be a generalization of the substitution rule for integrals.
tjackson3

Homework Statement

This is part of a larger problem, but in order to take what I believe is the first step, I need to take the Taylor series expansion of [itex]f(x,y) = \cos\sqrt{x+y}[/itex] about (x,y) = (0,0)

On the other hand, the purpose of doing this expansion is to find an asymptotic expression for the integral

[tex]\int_0^{\pi^2/2}\ ds\int_0^{\pi^2/2}\ e^{x\cos\sqrt{s+t}}\ dt[/tex]

I vaguely remember there being an identity for when you had an integrand that you can transform [itex]f(x,y) \rightarrow f(x+y)[/itex]. Possibly the domain had to be square, which it is here. Does anyone know what I'm talking about there?

Edit: This identity allows for reduction to a single integral

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it'd just be [itex]1 + (1/2)f_{xx}(0,0)x^2 + f_{xy}(0,0)xy + (1/2)f_{yy}(0,0)y^2.[/itex] Would that be correct? The first partials are excluded since f has a maximum there

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
.For the identity I'm thinking of, it may just be a generalization of the substitution rule for integrals. When you have something like \int_a^bf(x)dx, you can do a substitution u = x+c to get \int_{a+c}^{b+c}f(u-c)du. This is likely the same concept, but with integrals over two variables.

Related to Multivariate Taylor expansion or else a double integral identity

1. What is a Multivariate Taylor expansion?

A Multivariate Taylor expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate a multi-variable function using a series of polynomials. It is similar to a Taylor series, which is used to approximate a single-variable function, but instead, it takes into account multiple variables.

2. Why is Multivariate Taylor expansion useful?

Multivariate Taylor expansion is useful because it allows us to approximate complex functions with a series of simpler polynomials. This can be particularly helpful in situations where it is difficult to find an exact solution for a function, or when working with functions that have multiple variables.

3. What is a double integral identity?

A double integral identity is a mathematical equation that shows the relationship between a double integral and a single integral. It is often used in multivariate calculus to solve problems involving two variables.

4. How is Multivariate Taylor expansion related to a double integral identity?

Multivariate Taylor expansion and a double integral identity are closely related because they both involve approximating functions using polynomials. The double integral identity can be derived from the Multivariate Taylor expansion, and it can be used to simplify the process of calculating double integrals.

5. In what fields is knowledge of Multivariate Taylor expansion and double integral identity useful?

Multivariate Taylor expansion and double integral identity are useful in various fields such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and economics. They are commonly used in multivariate calculus, which is used to solve problems involving multiple variables and functions. They are also used in data analysis and machine learning to approximate complex relationships between variables.