Multivariable IBP in the variation of a functional

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of integration by parts in order to obtain everything in terms of delta f and the functional derivative. It is explained that the second term can be transformed using IBP and the internal derivative can be recovered using the formula dg=g'(x) dx. The conversation concludes with a realization that this was a simple oversight.
avikarto
Let's call our functional $$F[f]=\int dx\:A\left(x,f,f',f''...\right)$$ We know that the variation of F can be written as $$\delta F=\int dx\:\left[\frac{\partial A}{\partial f}\delta f+\frac{\partial A}{\partial f'}\delta f'+...\right]$$ If i wanted to get everything in terms of delta f in order to use the definition of the functional derivative, I would have to use integration by parts on the second and further terms. Looking at the second term as an example, $$\int dx \frac{\partial A}{\partial f'}\delta f'$$ we could take $$dv=dx\delta f'\:\:,\:\: u=\frac{\partial A}{\partial f'}$$ The IBP then transforms the term to $$-\int \delta f\:\:d\left(\frac{\partial A}{\partial f'}\right)$$ My questions is: how do we recover a dx from this internal derivative? I know it should be able to transform to $$\frac{d}{dx} (partials) dx$$ but I don't see why. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For any function g(x) , we have dg=g'(x) dx. Now ##\frac{\partial A}{\partial f'} ## is itself a function of x so we have ## d(\frac{\partial A}{\partial f'})=\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\partial A}{\partial f'} dx ##.

A silly oversight. Thanks.

Related to Multivariable IBP in the variation of a functional

1. What is Multivariable IBP?

Multivariable IBP stands for Multivariable Integration by Parts and is a mathematical technique used to integrate functions with multiple variables.

2. What is the purpose of using Multivariable IBP?

Multivariable IBP is useful for simplifying complex integrals, especially in the context of physics and engineering where many problems involve multiple variables.

3. How does Multivariable IBP work?

Multivariable IBP follows the same general principles as the single variable Integration by Parts, but involves using partial derivatives and multiple variables to solve the integral.

4. What are some common applications of Multivariable IBP?

Multivariable IBP has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields where multiple variables are involved, such as calculating work done by a force, finding the center of mass of an object, and solving differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using Multivariable IBP?

While Multivariable IBP is a useful technique, it is not always applicable and may not work for all integrals. It is important to carefully evaluate the integral before using Multivariable IBP to determine if it is the most appropriate method.