Multivariable Delta Function Integral

In summary, the conversation is about finding an integral with a delta function in two dimensions, with variables appearing inside the delta function. The person is semi-familiar with delta functions and is struggling to find a solution. The expert suggests scaling the delta function and integrating one variable at a time.
bologna121121

Homework Statement

I have to find this integral:

[tex]\int \delta (( \frac{p^{2}}{2m} + Cz ) - E ) p^{2} dp dz[/tex]

where E, m, and C can be considered to be constants.

Homework Equations

I'm semi-familiar with delta functions, i.e. i know that:

[tex] \int \delta (x - a) dx = 1 [/tex]

and that you can usually change the variable of integration to match the variable in the delta function, if it's not written explicitly as above.

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that I don't really know how to work with this in two dimensions, with both variables appearing inside the delta function. I thought maybe there might be a way to split it into two different delta functions, with one variable appearing in each? But this is just a guess, and I can't really find any supporting evidence. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
bologna121121 said:

Homework Statement

I have to find this integral:

[tex]\int \delta (( \frac{p^{2}}{2m} + Cz ) - E ) p^{2} dp dz[/tex]

where E, m, and C can be considered to be constants.

Homework Equations

I'm semi-familiar with delta functions, i.e. i know that:

[tex] \int \delta (x - a) dx = 1 [/tex]

and that you can usually change the variable of integration to match the variable in the delta function, if it's not written explicitly as above.

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that I don't really know how to work with this in two dimensions, with both variables appearing inside the delta function. I thought maybe there might be a way to split it into two different delta functions, with one variable appearing in each? But this is just a guess, and I can't really find any supporting evidence. Thanks in advance.

First you need to know how to scale a delta function, i.e., δ(a*x)=1/a*δ(x); then you integrate z first, and treat everything else as constants, the result is very simple.

Ah...I guess that's pretty obvious. Thank you very much.

Related to Multivariable Delta Function Integral

1. What is a multivariable delta function integral?

A multivariable delta function integral is an integral that involves the use of a multivariable delta function, which is a mathematical function that is used to represent the behavior of a point particle in multiple dimensions. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model and solve problems involving multiple variables and dimensions.

2. How is a multivariable delta function integral different from a regular delta function integral?

A regular delta function integral involves integrating a function over a single variable, while a multivariable delta function integral involves integrating a function over multiple variables. This means that a multivariable delta function integral takes into account the behavior of a point particle in multiple dimensions, while a regular delta function integral only considers the behavior in one dimension.

3. What are the applications of multivariable delta function integrals?

Multivariable delta function integrals have various applications in physics and engineering, including calculating the electric field of a charged particle in multiple dimensions, solving problems in quantum mechanics, and modeling fluid flow in multiple dimensions. They are also used in signal processing and image reconstruction.

4. How do you solve a multivariable delta function integral?

Solving a multivariable delta function integral involves using the properties of the delta function to simplify the integral and then using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or Fourier transforms to evaluate the integral. The specific method used will depend on the specific problem and the variables involved.

5. What are some common mistakes when working with multivariable delta function integrals?

Some common mistakes when working with multivariable delta function integrals include forgetting to take into account the dimensions of the integral, using the wrong properties of the delta function, or not properly simplifying the integral before attempting to solve it. It is important to carefully consider the variables and dimensions involved in the problem and to double check all steps when working with these types of integrals.