Multivariable Calculus - Integration Assignment

Good job!In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the volume of a solid created by a cylinder intersecting a sphere. The person initially has trouble with integration and finding the correct bounds, but eventually solves the problem using symmetry and integration by substitution. The final answer is (2a^3 pi)/3 - (8a^3)/9.
ConnorM

Homework Statement

Here is my assignment, http://imgur.com/1edJ3g5
I figured it would be easier if we know we are both looking at the same thing! I'm looking for help with question 2. I seem to be having trouble with the integration.

Homework Equations

r=acosθ

x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = a^2

Cylindrical Coordinates ~ x^2 + y^2 = r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I found my bounds of integration to be,

-sqrt( a^2 - r^2 ) ≤ z ≤ sqrt( a^2 - r^2 )

0 ≤ r ≤ acosθ

-pi/2 ≤ θ ≤ pi/2

After doing this I came up with the integral,

∫∫∫ r dzdrdθ

Since I converted to cylindrical coordinates I need to add the "r" to my integral correct?

From here I integrated and subbed in my limits and found

∫∫2*r*sqrt(a^2 - r^2) drdθ

After doing this if I integrate again I get a really messy answer which I don't think I could integrate again for dθ. Have I messed up somewhere? If I changed the order of my integral would that help at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
After looking into it more,

Using symmetry I can change my bounds to,

0 ≤ z ≤ sqrt( a^2 - r^2 )

0 ≤ r ≤ acosθ

0 ≤ θ ≤ pi/2

I just need to multiply my integral by 4.

Next I solved my integral and found,

4∫∫ r*sqrt(a^2 - r^2) drdθ

4∫[ (-1/3)*(a^2 -r^2)^(3/2) ] 0 --> acosθ dθ

(-4/3 )∫ a^3(sin^3 θ) - a^3 dθ

(-4a^3 )/3 ∫ sin^3 θ - 1 dθ

after integrating using u - substitution,

(4a^3 )/3 [ (θ + cosθ + (cos^3 θ)/3 ) ] 0 --> 2pi

So my answer is,

(2a^3 pi)/3 - (8a^3)/9

Does somebody mind checking this, I'm not sure if this is correct or there is a mistake!

ConnorM said:

0 ≤ r ≤ acosθ

0 ≤ θ ≤ pi/2

So my answer is,

(2a^3 pi)/3 - (8a^3)/9

Does somebody mind checking this, I'm not sure if this is correct or there is a mistake!

You may notice that you are receiving no responses. Perhaps the reason is that (contrary to PF standards and policies) you post images instead of typing out your problem. I, for one, cannot read your attachments on some media.

Ok I will type it out! Sorry about that! Don't know why I didn't just type this question out, I had posted a few days ago a longer question and just used the same picture. So here is the question.

2) Find the volume of the solid that the cylinder r=acosθ cuts out of the sphere of radius "a" centered at the origin.

@ConnorM: Your answer is correct.

Likes 1 person
ConnorM said:

0 ≤ r ≤ acosθ

0 ≤ θ ≤ pi/2

So my answer is,

(2a^3 pi)/3 - (8a^3)/9

I get the same thing, too.

Related to Multivariable Calculus - Integration Assignment

1. What is Multivariable Calculus and why is it important?

Multivariable Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of multiple variables. It involves analyzing and understanding functions with more than one independent variable and their rates of change. It is important because it allows us to solve problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more, where multiple variables are involved.

2. What is the difference between single variable and multivariable calculus?

Single variable calculus deals with functions of one independent variable, while multivariable calculus deals with functions of multiple independent variables. This means that in multivariable calculus, we must consider the effects of changes in more than one variable on the function, which adds complexity to the calculations.

3. What is integration in multivariable calculus?

Integration in multivariable calculus involves finding the area under a curve in a three-dimensional space. It is used to solve problems involving volumes, surface areas, and average values of functions with multiple variables. It is also used to calculate double and triple integrals, which are the generalizations of single variable integrals.

4. How is the concept of integration used in real-world applications?

The concept of integration is used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the work done in physics, finding the center of mass in engineering, and determining the expected value of a variable in economics. It is also used in fields such as computer graphics, where it helps in creating 3D visualizations of objects and surfaces.

5. What are some tips for solving integration problems in multivariable calculus?

Some tips for solving integration problems in multivariable calculus include understanding the concept of partial derivatives, using appropriate integration techniques such as u-substitution and integration by parts, and paying attention to the bounds and limits of the integral. It is also helpful to practice regularly and familiarize oneself with common integration formulas and techniques.