Multiplication tables of rings

In summary, the author is trying to find the elements of the ring Z_3, but is confused. He suggests that it might be helpful if someone reminded people of what things like (bar) mean. He also provides a table with the multiplication table for the ring Z_3, along with the equivalence classes and the form that each number takes when multiplied by itself.
phyguy321

Homework Statement

construct a multiplication table for the ring Z[tex]_{3}[/tex][[tex]\alpha[/tex]], [tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] + 1(bar) = 0(bar)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm actually confused on how to find the elements of the ring. My book and notes have thrown me off a bit and I can't find them. Hint: there are 9 elements

Physics news on Phys.org
I think for advanced courses like yours it might help me and others if you remind us of what things like (bar) mean

and do you mean by Z^3 actually Z_3 or ZxZxZ or something completely different outside my knowledge?

yea sorry the text editor on here sucks...it is supposed to be Z_3 (which is what i put) and (bar) refers to being part of that equivalence class so 1 bar is ...-2,1,4,7... and 0 bar is ...-6,-3,0,3,6... for the integer set Z_3 so the congruent mod 3.

Then, strictly speaking, each member of Z3[/sup] is an equivalence class, each class containing exactly one non-negative integer less than 3. That is, there is an equivalence class containing 0, and equivalence class containing 1, and an equivalence class containing 2. That is, I presume, what you mean by [itex]\bar{0}[/itex], [itex]\bar{1}[/itex], and [itex]\bar{2}[/itex]. Since that does NOT have 9 members. Am I to assume that you mean the set of all numbers of the form [itex]a\alpha+ b[/itex] where a and b are in Z3 and [itex]\alpha[/itex] satisfies the equation above? That has nine members: 0, 1, 2, [itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\alpha+ 1[/itex], [itex]\alpha+ 2[/itex], [itex]2\alpha[/itex], [itex]2\alpha+ 1[/itex], and [itex]2\alpha+ 2[/itex].

Set up your table so it has those both along the top and verticaclly on the left. Multiply each of the 81 pairs and reduce to one of those 9 forms by using the equation [itex]\alpha[/itex] satisfies. For example, [itex]\left(\alpha+ 1\right)\left(2\alpha+ 1\right)= 2\alpha^2+ 3\alpha+ 1[/itex]. Since [itex]\alpha^2+ 1= 0[/itex], [itex]\alpha^2= -1[/itex]. Of course, 3 is equivalent to 0 mod 3 so this reduces to [itex]-2+ 1= -1[/itex] which is 2 mod 3:[itex]\left(\alpha+ 1\right)\left(2\alpha+ 1\right)= 2[/itex].

No, the LaTex editor here does not "suck" but it is a bad idea to try to combine both LaTex and non-LaTex in the same formula: use LaTex for the entire formula.

awesome thanks

Related to Multiplication tables of rings

What are multiplication tables of rings?

Multiplication tables of rings are a mathematical tool used to calculate the product of two elements in a ring. A ring is a mathematical structure that has two operations - addition and multiplication - and follows certain rules such as closure and associativity.

What are the properties of multiplication tables of rings?

The multiplication tables of rings have several important properties, including closure, commutativity, and associativity. These properties ensure that the product of any two elements in the ring is also an element of the ring and that the order in which the elements are multiplied does not affect the result.

How are multiplication tables of rings different from multiplication tables of numbers?

Multiplication tables of numbers only have one operation - multiplication - and follow different rules, such as the commutative and distributive properties. In contrast, multiplication tables of rings have two operations, addition and multiplication, and follow different rules, such as closure and associativity.

What is the purpose of using multiplication tables of rings?

Multiplication tables of rings are used in abstract algebra to study the algebraic structures known as rings. They are also used in cryptography and coding theory to perform mathematical operations on elements within a ring.

How can I create a multiplication table of a specific ring?

To create a multiplication table of a specific ring, you will need to know the elements of the ring, as well as the rules and properties that govern the multiplication operation. You can then use these elements and rules to construct the table by systematically multiplying each element with the others.