MS Program or Job: Which Should I Choose?

In summary, if I pursue a masters in EE, it will increase my wages significantly and I have the opportunity to do so for free while the economy is not great. I am planning to quit my job to do this, but it is ultimately up to me.
sulymani
Hi Guys

Actually, I've lately applied to a grad school to do a MS program in EE. However, I'm still confused whether to give up my job which is fairly good or pursue my MS studies. For information, I'm on a scholarship which is the core of attending a grad school. If i don't take this chance, it'll be gone. Guys, If you were my place, what would you do ?

Any suggestions or comments welcomed.

Toni

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally, I would go for it. I'm in a similar situation (see post about "Engineer" quitting).

In this economy, I do not see much room for advancement in most situations, in most industries. At least not for a couple years. Why not remove yourself from the rat race of work, for now, and better yourself... for free! Think of it this way: How much do you think an MS degree will potentially increase your wages? How much do you think staying with your company for 2 years will potentially increase your wages?

I'm planning on quitting, while the economy is craptastic, getting my degree, and hopefully in a couple of years when I have my degree the economy will have bounced back. And if it hasn't, than at least I am better prepared to get a better job.. hopefully.

I'd go for it if I was you!

This particular opportunity may pass, but the opportunity to complete a masters degree will always be there.

One of the factors you may want to consider is the stage in your life you're at right now. Are you married? Do you have kids to support? Of course advancing your education can increase your earning potential, but even if you're completely supported, you won't be bringing home too much money for a couple of years. Is that a hit you're willing to take? If you want to do it eventually, will it be better to do it now, or later on?

Another factor to consider is the type of work you will do. Doing a masters degree often means research, or at the very least taking some advanced classes. This will advance your skills as an engineer and can act as a springboard for the kinds of projects that you're involved in. Are you happy with the kinds of projects you get right now? Do you want to do more?

Finally, I think this is a situation where there is no "right" decision. There will be advantages/disadvantages to either route, so there isn't much point in second guessing yourself.

Thanks guys for ur feedbacks

Related to MS Program or Job: Which Should I Choose?

What is the difference between an MS program and a job?

An MS program, or Master of Science program, is a graduate level degree program that focuses on a specific field of study. It typically involves coursework, research, and a thesis or final project. A job, on the other hand, is a paid position in which an individual performs specific tasks and responsibilities for an employer.

Which option is better, an MS program or a job?

This depends on an individual's career goals and personal preferences. An MS program may be more beneficial for those looking to advance in a specific field or pursue a career in academia. A job may be a better fit for those who want to start gaining real-world experience and earning a salary.

Can I do both an MS program and a job at the same time?

It is possible to do both, but it can be challenging to balance the workload and time commitments. It is important to carefully consider your capabilities and priorities before committing to both an MS program and a job simultaneously.

Will having an MS degree increase my job prospects?

Having an MS degree can make you a more competitive candidate for certain jobs, as it demonstrates a higher level of knowledge and expertise in a specific field. However, job prospects also depend on other factors such as experience, skills, and networking.

What skills can I gain from an MS program that will benefit me in a job?

An MS program can provide you with advanced knowledge and skills in your chosen field, as well as research and critical thinking abilities. These skills can be transferable to various industries and can make you a valuable asset to potential employers.