Moving in the 4th Dimension -- Does Time have a velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "passing time" and moving in the 4th dimension in relativistic means. It questions whether this is a real change in position in grade 4 spacetime or just a mathematical effect. The concept of motion through the 4th dimension is compared to other movements in space, such as the Earth's rotation and orbit around the Sun. It is noted that motion through the 4th dimension is not detectable, only relative motion and acceleration are. The conversation also explores the idea of a 4-dimensional spacetime
eaglechief
Hello all,

i read several threads concerning the a.m. topic, but are still not sure if i got it right.

Is "passing time" or moving in the 4th dimension in relativistic means a real changing of position in grade 4 spacetime or is it just a mathematical effect ?

Why asking: If i understood correctly, a resting massobject with no velocity in space S3 has a worldline parallel to the time-axis. If we compare two points in time on the worldline of this object, it has moved in the coordinate system from f.i. A to B in direction of D4, but not in space S3.

If so, we do not recognice this movement (or at least, i don't do it). Is this comparable to other movements in space (and spacetime), that we do not recognice, f.i. the turning of planet Earth or the movement of Earth around the sun, which do really happen ?

Thanks for answers in advance.

Swen

Physics news on Phys.org
eaglechief said:
Is "passing time" or moving in the 4th dimension in relativistic means a real changing of position in grade 4 spacetime or is it just a mathematical effect ?
How would you tell the difference. I mean, what kind of experiment could you do to determine which is right?

eaglechief said:
We don't know. The maths of relativity can be interpreted as describing a 4d spacetime, but it can be interpreted otherwise. Certainly the 4d spacetime is the most popular interpretation, and you often see people writing as if it were the only option. But we don't know for certain.
eaglechief said:
Why asking: If i understood correctly, a resting massobject with no velocity in space S3 has a worldline parallel to the time-axis. If we compare two points in time on the worldline of this object, it has moved in the coordinate system from f.i. A to B in direction of D4, but not in space S3.
S3 means something different from what you're using it for here - I'd advise against that notation.
eaglechief said:
If so, we do not recognice this movement (or at least, i don't do it).
How would you recognise that you were in motion through space?

eaglechief said:
If so, we do not recognice this movement (or at least, i don't do it). Is this comparable to other movements in space (and spacetime), that we do not recognice, f.i. the turning of planet Earth or the movement of Earth around the sun, which do really happen ?

Yes. For instance, the Sun (and the planets along with it) is traveling at over 200 kilometers per second through the Milky Way galaxy. This motion is certainly not detectable without using astronomy. Motion is not detectable, only relative motion (the distances between different objects changes) and acceleration (changes in velocity). Motion through the 4th dimension can be thought of as undetectable inertial motion.

Thanks for the answers and hints so far.

So that means, that while i am sitting on my couch writing this post, my couch and me are traveling with a certain rate of change along the 4th dimension through spacetime. An observer in a higher grade inertial system (4 up) could therefore measure my changing position in way of the 4th dimension from A to B. Is this correct ?

Is it valid to call this rate of change through the 4th dimension "velocity" ? I would assume that velocity only is valid for movements inside 3-dimensional space.

eaglechief said:
An observer in a higher grade inertial system (5 up) could therefore measure my changing position in way of the 4th dimension from A to B. Is this correct ?
There's no evidence such a thing exists, so this isn't really answerable.
eaglechief said:
Is it valid to call this rate of change through the 4th dimension "velocity" ? I would assume that velocity only is valid for movements inside 3-dimensional space.
It depends. You can take the derivative of your path through spacetime with respect to your proper time, and the result of this is a 4-vector usually called a "4-velocity". However, 4-velocities all have magnitude 1, so are a measure of direction in spacetime rather than anything else. I would tend to say that, if we're adopting the 4-d spacetime model, nothing moves in 4-d spacetime. Movement is what you get when you take two 3-d slices through spacetime, declare them to be "the universe, now" and "the universe, a little later" and compare them.

eaglechief said:
It is valid to call it (a component of the) 4-velocity (in contrast to the 3-velocity, which it isn't part of). Since the coordinate time component is multiplied with c to give a length, and then differentiated by proper time just like the other space-components, you could imagine the object traveling through your coordinate system t,x,y,z. The faster its velocity on your x,y,z-axes, the slower its velocity on your t-axis. In this 4D coordinate system t is just as orthogonal to x,y,z as they are to each other. Therefore the euqations of motion always give not only x',y',z' or r',θ',φ' but also t' (meaning dt/dτ), so if not "velocity" you can at least call it "motion" with good conscience.

Last edited:
Yukterez said:
The faster its velocity on your x,y,z-axes, the slower its velocity on your t-axis.

No, this is not correct. The "velocity on the t-axis" is ##dt / d\tau##, the ##t## component of the 4-velocity. If you compare two objects, one at rest and one moving, ##dt / d\tau## for the second object--the moving one--will be larger than for the first, not smaller.

Likes maline
PeterDonis said:
No, this is not correct. The "velocity on the t-axis" is ##dt / d\tau##, the ##t## component of the 4-velocity. If you compare two objects, one at rest and one moving, ##dt / d\tau## for the second object--the moving one--will be larger than for the first, not smaller.
Just to mention that we even have a name for this: time dilation. The faster an object moves in the spatial directions, the more coordinate time elapses per proper time of the object.

Likes PeterDonis
thanks for the answers. using dt/dτ as expression for the t-component of the 4-velocity, we get a non-dimensional number. But don't we talk about a "velocity". Am i forced to use c = 1 or could i also use "real" velocity by inserting SI-units instead ?

eaglechief said:
thanks for the answers. using dt/dτ as expression for the t-component of the 4-velocity, we get a non-dimensional number. But don't we talk about a "velocity". Am i forced to use c = 1 or could i also use "real" velocity by inserting SI-units instead ?
The usual way to do things if you really want to obscure the physics by inserting an arbitrary conversion constant into your equations is to work with the rescaled time coordinate ##x^0 = ct##. The components of the 4-velocity are then ##V^\mu = dx^\mu/d\tau##. In particular, the 0-component is ##V^0 = c\, dt/d\tau##.

From four velocity
##(u^0,u^1,u^2,u^3)## where ##u^0u_0-u^1u_1-u^2u_2-u^3u_3=1##
you can make
[tex]c(1,\frac{u^1}{u^0},\frac{u^2}{u^0},\frac{u^3}{u^0})[/tex] where 1,2 and 3 components are ordinary 3d your "real" velocity. It is not a vector any more in the sense of Relativity theory.

Last edited:
Here the minus-signs must go, because ##u_1=-u^1## etc. The Minkowski product is
$$u_{\mu} u^{\mu}=(u^0)^2-(u^1)^2-(u^2)^2 - (u^3)^2=u_0 u^0 +u_1 u^1+u_2 u^2 +u_3 u^3.$$
That's because, by definition
$$u_{\mu}=\eta_{\mu \nu} u^{\nu}$$
with ##(\eta_{\mu \nu})=\mathrm{diag}(1,-1,-1,-1)##.

Yea, thanks for your correction.

Thanks for the answers so far.

Ibix said:
We don't know. The maths of relativity can be interpreted as describing a 4d spacetime, but it can be interpreted otherwise. Certainly the 4d spacetime is the most popular interpretation, and you often see people writing as if it were the only option. But we don't know for certain.

Another question concerning ibix's quote and the SRT resp. GRT in general.

Do the SRT / GRT equations lead to a blockuniverse as a "must" or are there other interpretations possible with a dynamic universe, as well ?

eaglechief, you sure bring some provocative inquiries. There are physicists who subscribe to the Block Universe concept. And in that context, and along with your original question, we have the picture of an observer moving along his world line at the speed of light. However, note that the observer's physical body would be a 4D object, frozen in spacetime so to speak, in that view--no motion for the physical body. So, it raises the question, "What is doing the moving?" Perhaps you have some thoughts about that.

eaglechief said:
Do the SRT / GRT equations lead to a blockuniverse as a "must" or are there other interpretations possible with a dynamic universe, as well ?
It's certainly possible in SR to just "pick a frame" and declare that it's the "real" frame and the universe only exists at its "now". Anyone using any other frame is, in some sense, wrong. It's not a claim that is testable, though, since there's no consequence to your choice of "real" frame. You can pick a non-inertial one if you like. Or you can pick the block universe.

It's really up to you.
tophatphysicist said:
So, it raises the question, "What is doing the moving?" Perhaps you have some thoughts about that.
Nothing is moving in the block universe picture. The four-velocity is simply the tangent vector to the worldline in this model.

A fairly long thread hijack has been cleaned up ant the thread is reopened

Ibix said:
It's certainly possible in SR to just "pick a frame" and declare that it's the "real" frame and the universe only exists at its "now". Anyone using any other frame is, in some sense, wrong. It's not a claim that is testable, though, since there's no consequence to your choice of "real" frame. You can pick a non-inertial one if you like. Or you can pick the block universe.

It's really up to you.
Nothing is moving in the block universe picture. The four-velocity is simply the tangent vector to the worldline in this model.
There is a related GR interpretation, evolving block universe, pursued by, among others, Ellis of Hawking and Ellis fame. MTW refers to this approach as many fingered time. Ellis puts forth arguments based on QM + GR to prefer EBU models as philosophically preferable.

Point is, the model of a complete manifold cannot say anything about what part of the model is 'real', nor can this be determined by experiment, so all choices are metaphysics rather than physics.

Likes Ibix
This thread has run its course and is now closed.

Related to Moving in the 4th Dimension -- Does Time have a velocity?

1. What is the 4th dimension and how is it related to time?

The 4th dimension is often referred to as time and is considered to be the fourth coordinate in the mathematical concept of space-time. It is a fundamental part of the universe and is the medium through which events in the past, present, and future occur.

2. Does time have a velocity?

No, time does not have a physical velocity like objects in space do. Time is a concept that measures the duration of events and how they change. It is not something that can move or have a speed.

3. How do we perceive the 4th dimension?

As humans, we perceive the 4th dimension, or time, through our senses and our ability to measure and track change. We experience time as a continuous flow, with events occurring one after the other, and we are able to remember past events and anticipate future ones.

4. Can we travel through the 4th dimension?

Currently, our understanding of the laws of physics does not allow for physical travel through the 4th dimension. However, some theories, such as the theory of relativity, suggest that time can be bent and warped, potentially allowing for time travel in the future.

5. How does the concept of time in the 4th dimension affect our daily lives?

The concept of time in the 4th dimension is essential to our daily lives as it allows us to measure and track change, plan for the future, and learn from the past. It also plays a crucial role in various fields of science, such as physics, biology, and astronomy, and has practical applications in technology and engineering.