Movies that you watch over and over again

In summary, some movies that I enjoy watching over and over again are "The Return of the Living Dead", "Tucker and Dale versus Evil", "Planet Terror", and "Secret of the Telegians".
Bystander said:
My favorites: spaghetti westerns; (Hill, Eastwood, and Van Cleef); all the Dirty Harry;

yeah, I can watch these at least once a year :smile:

Likes pinball1970 and epenguin
Physics news on Phys.org
hutchphd said:
Are there no Mel Brooks fans in this group?
yeah 😄
Seen Blazing Saddles so many times

Likes DennisN
Stephen Tashi said:
There are many videos that I like to watch again ... "Danger UXB...

Sometimes we choose a story because of the actors and directors. Anthony Andrews performed so well opposite the great actors in Granada's production of Evelyn Waugh's "Brideshead Revisited"; I watched "Danger UXB" to catch his performance as team leader.

A local Public Broadcasting System (PBS) television station featured "Danger UXB" opposite 'science night' -- Cosmos, Nova, Nature -- on a rival station. UXB held its own and then some describing the technological and psychological warfare between the bomb makers and the engineers tasked with guarding the populace by removing them. Andrew's Brideshead character Sebastian Flyte, raised as a devout Roman Catholic, faced an existential crisis where his life choices lead to mortal sin. His character in UXB faces physical mortality each time he defuses a device.

I have watched Granada's "Brideshead Revisited" many times and also seen different versions of Waugh's novel as movies and TV serials. Except for similar plots in other work, I only watched "Danger UXB" once.

Last edited:
I watch Tim Burton's "Nightmare Before Christmas" regularly, especially around Halloween. Best movie soundtrack ever in my book.

At home, I like to do repeated viewing of "Vera", "Midsomer Murder Mysteries", "Brokenwood Mysteries", and "Shetland".

When I travel, I tend to watch Vivian Howard's "A Chef's Life" series on my tablet. I don't seem to get tired of watching this series. And when I'm at home and I want to take an afternoon nap on my recliner, I put on Bob Ross's "The Joy of Painting", and I will be out like a light in less than `10 minutes! But I suppose, technically, I'm not watching it.

Zz.

Likes Klystron
ZapperZ said:
At home, I like to do repeated viewing of "Vera", "Midsomer Murder Mysteries", "Brokenwood Mysteries", and "Shetland".
Hi Zapper:

If you like old mysteries I recommend the British "Green For Danger" (1946) based on the 1944 novel.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Zapper:

If you like old mysteries I recommend the British "Green For Danger" (1946) based on the 1944 novel.

Regards,
Buzz
I don't know that one but I will check it out.
From the 40s and 50s there some great war films, The Dam busters springs to mind. Barnes Wallis building where the old UMIST site was may still carry his name only under the banner of the University of Manchester.
Reach for the sky was another, Douglas Bader, great story.

Last edited:
pinball1970 said:
I don't know that one but I will check it out.
From the 40s and 50s there some great war films, The Dam busters springs to mind. Barns Wallace building where UMIST site was may still carry his name only under the banner of the University of Manchester.

You mean Barnes Wallis.

PeroK said:
You mean Barnes Wallis.
Damn it. Corrected. If you delete your post now then no one will know, this is as bad as when I spelt Planck as Plank or was it the other way round?
Anyway a great scene from a film that did not grab me at all.
I can watch this over but not the whole thing.
Mr Black is trying to get money out of a federal agent from a disc he found in a gym.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
The warriors is an amazing film, no big names but brilliant all the same.
Easy to watch over and over.

Likes david2
Enter the Void

So yesterday, a 31 year old coworker in a department meeting (40 people) threw out this reference, and only like 2 people got it (disgraceful, imo):

"The client is pushing that schedule so fast it's gone to plaid".

He sits behind me and people keep coming up to him asking what he was talking about.

Definitely needs to be on the list.

russ_watters said:
So yesterday, a 31 year old coworker in a department meeting (40 people) threw out this reference, and only like 2 people got it (disgraceful, imo):

He sits behind me and people keep coming up to him asking what he was talking about.

Collective \Woosh

russ_watters said:

I must admit I have no idea what he was talking about. I understand neither the reference nor the intended meaning.

russ_watters said:

No idea either.

The Grand Budapest Hotel, Moonrise Kingdom...argh Any Wes Anderson Film, Annie Hall, Amélié, The Breakfast Club, Lost In Translation...yea list goes on

Likes Klystron
PeroK said:
I must admit I have no idea what he was talking about. I understand neither the reference nor the intended meaning.
pinball1970 said:
No idea either.
@Buzz Bloom got it: Spaceballs

Also note the origin of Tesla/Elon Musk's "Ludicrous Speed".

• Haha
Likes DennisN
russ_watters said:
@Buzz Bloom got it: Spaceballs
I did not get it, I did not remember that quote from Spaceballs. But I like the movie, it is very funny :smile:.
Another clip down the memory lane:

• Haha
Likes Klystron, russ_watters and pinball1970
... evil will always triumph because good is dumb

Likes Klystron
Most Kubrick films, particularly Barry Lyndon and The Shining

Likes Klystron and epenguin
I' surprised the" Princess Bride" has not been mentioned. The poison duel is particularly memorable.

Likes collinsmark and Buzz Bloom
Naked gun, anyone? Most of them?

Not a movie, but :

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes DennisN
mathwonk said:
... Shawshank Redemption...
Lots of classics on your list, but this one is on TV all the time and pulls me in almost every time. The problem is, the TV cut/censored version of movies is annoying, so I finally had to buy it so I could pop it in when it comes on TV.

• Haha
Likes Klystron and BillTre
WWGD said:
Not a movie, but
He is hilarious! 😄 I have not seen it before, thanks for sharing!

Likes WWGD
Sidenote:

WWGD said:
Not a movie, but :
In the comments under the video you posted someone said his character Homey D. Clown was very funny too, so I searched for it on the tube. And I found a sketch compilation, incredibly funny 😄 :
(and a young Jim Carrey is also playing in some of the sketches)

Best of Homey D. Clown Vol. 1-In Living Color

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
DennisN said:
Sidenote:In the comments under the video you posted someone said his character Homey D. Clown was very funny too, so I searched for it on the tube. And I found a sketch compilation, incredibly funny 😄 :
(and a young Jim Carrey is also playing in some of the sketches)

Best of Homey D. Clown Vol. 1-In Living Color

I think it was an extremely underrated show. I would laugh every time it showed as well as in the reruns. I wonder how a similar shiw would fare today.Strangely,Damon Wayans went on to more serious, straight-laced roles after the show. I guess you can say that he did not proctologize the viscosity of his fecal derriere ;).

Likes DennisN
ZapperZ said:
I watch Tim Burton's "Nightmare Before Christmas" regularly, especially around Halloween. Best movie soundtrack ever in my book.
ZapperZ me too, I’ll be watching it soon. How did you find Corpse Bride I thought the animation was good and the gothic-romance plot 🎞

Good Will Hunting - watch it at least once every six months. Love the scene where Will Hunting is in the bar and dismantles the obnoxious twit that was trying to put down his friend played by Ben Affleck. I always rewind it and watch it a few times while watching the movie. Laugh at the reviews that say he was an undiscovered genius - Gerald Lambeau was a genius - Will Hunting was another Ramanujan or perhaps Feynman ie a Magician that even geniuses can't go where they go. This is a central part of the movie that reviewers don't seem to get, it makes me shake my head. The parallels and differences between Hardy and Ramanujan seem lost on them as well - Ramanujan lived for math, Will Hunting didn't really care that much - he was interested in it - but it was not his deep passion.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Klystron
bhobba said:
Good Will Hunting - watch it at least once every six months. Love the scene where Will Hunting is in the bar and dismantles the obnoxious twit that was trying to put down his friend played by Ben Affleck. I always rewind it and watch it a few times while watching the movie. Laugh at the reviews that say he was an undiscovered genius - Gerald Lambeau was a genius - Will Hunting was another Ramanujan or perhaps Feynman ie a Magician that even geniuses can't go where they go. This is a central part of the movie that reviewers don't seem to get, it makes me shake my head. The parallels and differences between Hardy and Ramanujan seem lost on them as well - Ramanujan lived for math, Will Hunting didn't really care that much - he was interested in it - but it was not his deep passion.

Thanks
Bill
A powerful insightful movie with impressive writing from two young actors evidenced by their Oscar and with excellent supporting roles by Robin Williams, Minnie Driver, and Stellan Skarsgård.

I thoroughly agree that Damon's character is not a mathematician. He likes mathematicians and is mildly intrigued by their struggles to comprehend what he sees so easily. The scenes where he solves connected graphs in his head demonstrates that he visualizes these problems in N-dimensional geometry and simply selects a solution that "Hardy" (Skarsgard) will accept.

I have only watched "Good Will Hunting" once in theatrical release. Two issues keep me from purchasing the DVD.
The profound way the death of his wife affects William's character including painting to cope with loss hits close to home. The highly personal comments Damon makes about child abuse, offhand during a counseling session, also strike home. Damon's character is lucky IMO to still be able to think and speak so adroitly.

When Damon/Affleck list choices faced by a boy confronting a drunk sadistic father -- something about 'choose to be hit by a belt, fist or stick' -- I thought, "Lucky wimps! They get a choice?". A large crescent wrench (adjustable spanner) suprised slammed against the temple hurts more due to the sharp edges and the helical thread. True, a heavy fist deep in the gut causes more physical upset and some lasting damage; but if the child enjoys thinking and the father hates intelligence then blows to the head cause the most problems in my experience.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba
Klystron said:
A powerful insightful movie with impressive writing from two young actors evidenced by their Oscar and great supporting roles by Robin Williams, Minnie Driver, and Stellan Skarsgård.

I thoroughly agree that Damon's character is not a mathematician. He likes mathematicians and is mildly intrigued by their struggles to comprehend what he sees so easily. The scenes where he solves connected graphs in his head demonstrates that he visualizes these problems in N-dimensional geometry and simply selects a solution that "Hardy" (Skarsgard) will accept.

I have only watched "Good Will Hunting" once in theatrical release. Two issues keep me from purchasing the DVD.
The profound way the death of his wife affects William's character including painting to cope with loss hits close to home. The highly personal comments Damon makes about child abuse, offhand during a counseling session, also strike home. Damon's character is lucky IMO to still be able to think and speak so adroitly.

When Damon/Affleck list choices faced by a boy confronting a drunk sadistic father -- something about 'choose to be hit by a belt, fist or stick' -- I thought, "Lucky wimps! They get a choice?". A large crescent wrench (adjustable spanner) suprised slammed against the temple hurts more due to the sharp edges and the helical thread. True, a heavy fist deep in the gut causes more physical upset and some lasting damage; but if the child enjoys thinking and the father hates intelligence then blows to the head cause the most problems in my experience.
Holy cr4p man your post was horrific.
I had a loving family and should remember it was not so bad as a kid at home.

pinball1970 said:
Holy cr4p man your post was horrific.
I had a loving family and should remember it was not so bad as a kid at home.
Oh, sorry. Should I delete the post? The movie is excellent and worth discussing.

The core of the script concerns overcoming child abuse and loss. Damon's character shows practical smarts by becoming a janitor at an Ivy league college in order to devour all those books after work for fun and to self educate. His tendency to physically attack perceived enemies seems counter-productive in such an articulate character. Personally, the idea that abused children grow into abusers is malarkey. Gus van Sant probably meant those scenes as holdovers from Damon's childhood and to contrast the janitor's personal life with the clean quiet university corridors he despises.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba and pinball1970
Klystron said:
Oh, sorry. Should I delete the post? The movie is excellent and worth discussing.

The core of the script concerns overcoming child abuse and loss. Damon's character shows practical smarts by becoming a janitor at an Ivy league college in order to devour all those books after work for fun and to self educate. His tendency to physically attack perceived enemies seems counter-productive in such an articulate person. Personally, the idea that abused children grow into abusers is malarkey. Gus van Sant probably meant those scenes as holdovers from Damon's childhood and to contrast the janitor's personal life with the clean quiet university corridors he despises.
No please don't apologize. It was distressing to read but don't delete.
Some films are just great but others chime with us because of our past experience, good and bad.

Likes bhobba and Klystron
Klystron said:

The core of the script concerns overcoming child abuse and loss. Damon's character shows practical smarts by becoming a janitor at an Ivy league college in order to devour all those books after work for fun and to self educate. His tendency to physically attack perceived enemies seems counter-productive in such an articulate person. Personally, the idea that abused children grow into abusers is malarkey. Gus van Sant probably meant those scenes as holdovers from Damon's childhood and to contrast the janitor's personal life with the clean quiet university corridors he despises.
Feel good film? Over and over.'It could happen to you' Great film. Nicholas Cage, brilliant. Everything that is good and bad about people but I recommend it.
I always watch it with Indian food a few beers on a Friday night with good friends.
How true is it? Apparently it's based on some real events.
Watch it!

Likes Klystron
Klystron said:

Oh no - it was an excellent analysis - more insightful than my effort. English, literature, film analysis etc is not my strength - only average - nor was I that interested in it while at school - but more interested these days. I actually failed it at HS and technically did not graduate because I did no work. The other subjects I did were all science/math based and because I have a natural affinity with them had no trouble passing with no effort - in fact I got a credit average - but not in English. Jordan Peterson, whose intelligence I respect, while not agreeing with all he says, was asked what he did not know. Immediately he said - Physics, Quantum Physics, and Math. Since Quantum Physics is part of Physics I guess he meant especially Quantum Physics. He is the exact opposite to me - still I find what he writes and says interesting. Why some people are good at some things and only average at others, even though they have a high IQ overall, has always been a mystery to me. Will Hunting seemed a 'Magician' at everything - Feynman was a Magician at math at physics, very good at any branch of science as evidenced by his research in Biology, but probably not a Magician, and like me only average at English. That's probably why he only had an IQ of just 128 (some say 125) - the test he did was more oriented to testing humanities type skills rather than logic type skills. He got the highest score in Math and Physics Princeton had ever seen, but the lowest score in the Humanities they had ever seen in their PhD admission test.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970, WWGD and Klystron
I am not sure I would watch the film Infinity about Feynman over and over.
The focus is on his relationship with Arleen rather than the Science.

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto