Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Moved to TX.

• Admin

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Well, I have moved to Texas, and am no longer an engineer. I am a teacher, and I'm teaching the following:

AP Physics B (algebra-based)
Intro Physics
AP Calculus AB
Algebra I-B

It's an astounding amount of work - a large part of that being that I'm taking over in the middle of the school year. There are definitely some rough edges to my technique, on account of coming into the high school with college-level expectations! But hopefully I can work that out with the students, parents, and administration.

This is my dream job, so I'm extremely excited to be doing this.

Cheers.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
That's great to hear! I'm glad you are at your dream job :) Hopefully you can spread the word about MHB to your students as well, like you mentioned before. I am going to hang some more flyers at my college this week!

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Hey, congratulations!(d)

I am very happy for you, and judging by the courses you have been assigned, you will be teaching motivated college-bound students ready to learn! With so many students reaching universities ill-prepared, it's nice to know that that number will now go down!

Let us know how you like the humidity of the south! :rolleyes:

Fantini

"Read Euler, read Euler." - Laplace
MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012
It is always good to hear someone's finally doing their dream job! I feel quite happy for you, Ackbach! More people shall be enlightened now that you are a teacher. Feel free to share your teaching experiences, I am certain everybody will benefit. Hope you don't run into too much trouble with the administration (that is, wishing your hands aren't tied).

Cheers!

Fantini

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Well, I have moved to Texas, and am no longer an engineer. I am a teacher, and I'm teaching the following:

AP Physics B (algebra-based)
Intro Physics
AP Calculus AB
Algebra I-B

It's an astounding amount of work - a large part of that being that I'm taking over in the middle of the school year. There are definitely some rough edges to my technique, on account of coming into the high school with college-level expectations! But hopefully I can work that out with the students, parents, and administration.

This is my dream job, so I'm extremely excited to be doing this.

Cheers.
We have our dream jobs in common.

skeeter

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012
Welcome to Texas. I've been teaching in the Ft Worth ISD for over 20 years. My course load is close to yours ...

AP Calculus AB (3 sections) and BC (1 section)

AP Physics C Mechanics + Lab (1 section)

I paid my dues teaching many classes of Algebra 1 and Geometry a long time ago.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions or need to share your successes and failures ... it's a ride on a roller coaster, I'll tell you.

Mike

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012
I'm jealous of both of you. Congrats Achblock!

But I am wondering. Why Texas? If everything's bigger in Texas that means the spiders are bigger, too. (Sweating)

-Dan

skeeter

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
tarantulas aren't anything to worry about...the brown recluse spiders, on the other hand...fly-paper in the corners works wonders. :)

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I used to keep a Mexican redleg as a "pet."

I'm assuming Texas also has these which are no fun to run into walking through the woods:

heather-banana-spider.jpg

They aren't dangerous, but their webs are strong and sticky and when you find your head wrapped up in one, you invariably wonder where the spider is! (Worried)

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012
Gaaaaaaaaa! (Swearing) You made me look at those! (Tmi)

-Dan

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
If you do any driving at night, watch for these cuddly little critters:

armadillo_wide-2258269a1e1501ec358c9cf54d95af9f89182175-s6-c10.jpg

They have a habit of jumping straight up when alarmed, and coupled with their poor eyesight, make them prime candidates for roadkill.

The armadillo is quite common in the southeast, I believe has the lowest body temperature of any mammal and along with humans, are the only known carriers of leprosy. They very nearly always give birth to identical quadruplets.

They can also be very destructive to your lawn, as they like to dig when searching for food.

Welcome to the south! (Yes)

kanderson

Jul 7, 2012
I was born in the south, best place ever. Wish I stilled lived.

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012

alane1994

Oct 16, 2012

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
A necessary but not sufficient condition, I fear.
Don't worry, sufficient conditions have been proven in MHF and MHB. :)

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Texas brown tarantula ... some folks have them as pets.

View attachment 537
I'm jealous of both of you. Congrats Achblock!

But I am wondering. Why Texas? If everything's bigger in Texas that means the spiders are bigger, too. (Sweating)

-Dan
tarantulas aren't anything to worry about...the brown recluse spiders, on the other hand...fly-paper in the corners works wonders. :)
I used to keep a Mexican redleg as a "pet."

I'm assuming Texas also has these which are no fun to run into walking through the woods:

View attachment 538

They aren't dangerous, but their webs are strong and sticky and when you find your head wrapped up in one, you invariably wonder where the spider is! (Worried)
Gaaaaaaaaa! (Swearing) You made me look at those! (Tmi)

-Dan
You hate spiders too? I am terrified of the damn things.... gah...(Worried)(Tmi)
A new kind of tarantulas were discovered from our country. I guess even Texas spiders can't beat them in size. :)

Newly-discovered spider that is as big as your face - Yahoo!7

Normally I fear at the sight of even the smallest of spiders so if I ever come across something as big as this don't know what will happen.............. (Puke)

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
(Cool) Impressive, although the Goliath Birdeater is still the largest tarantula.

I find it amazing that such a large spider was only recently discovered!

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
(Cool) Impressive, although the Goliath Birdeater is still the largest tarantula.

I find it amazing that such a large spider was only recently discovered!
Wow! Never thought spiders big as this exist. And to think of a spider eating a bird is breathtaking. :eek:

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
There are local legends of spiders big enough to eat dogs in Amazonia, although I am somewhat skeptical, given certain aspects of biology, such as oxygen transportation. (Wondering)