Change the "USER" button text (previously "MY PF") to gear symbol

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
In summary, there was a recent discussion about changing the "MY PF" button text to a gear icon. However, it was suggested that using a "user" icon would be more appropriate as it represents more than just account settings. The use of "USER" as the button text was also debated, with some finding it shorter and more fitting than "PF".

Proposal: Replace the text of "USER" button (previously "MY PF") with a gear icon.

• I support this proposal.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Keep the text as it currently is: "USER".

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Change it back to "MY PF".

• None of the above.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Recently, the "MY PF" button text was changed to "USER", as pointed out in this thread. I was thinking whether it would be more appropriate to change it to a gear icon:

gear-34-512.png

Universally, the gear icon symbolizes settings, and this is true across different OS and desktop or mobile environments. I don't think anybody would have any difficulty to understand that the icon displays a menu for account settings. As far as my knowledge goes, this symbol is readily available in most icon packs too.

Hovering over the "USER" button just shows the username. Instead, it should show something like "Account settings" or "Your account" which will make things more clear.

I took the liberty of creating a poll with this thread to collect user responses anonymously.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wrichik Basu said:
Recently, the "MY PF" button text was changed to "USER", as pointed out in this thread. I was thinking whether it would be more appropriate to change it to a gear icon:

Universally, the gear icon symbolizes settings, and this is true across different OS and desktop or mobile environments. I don't think anybody would have any difficulty to understand that the icon displays a menu for account settings.
This is true, however the USER button displays/links to a menu with more than account settings e.g. a log out link, your news feed etc. so the use of a "settings" icon would be misleading.

An icon that could be used to replace it would be a "user" icon e.g.👤but USER is a pretty short word, I don't see the point.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Difficult to figure how exactly to react, but I find very little if any trouble with the "USER" link,...
The word is shorter than USERname and is probably better than "PF".

1. What is the purpose of changing the "USER" button text to a gear symbol?

The purpose of changing the "USER" button text to a gear symbol is to improve the user experience by making the button's function more clear and intuitive. The gear symbol is commonly associated with settings or options, which is likely the function of the button.

2. Will changing the button text affect the functionality of the button?

No, changing the button text will not affect the functionality of the button as long as the underlying code remains the same. The text is simply a visual representation of the button's function.

3. How will this change impact users who are used to seeing "MY PF" instead of a gear symbol?

It may take some time for users to get used to the new symbol, but as long as the button's function remains the same, the impact should be minimal. Additionally, the gear symbol is a commonly used symbol in user interfaces, so users may already be familiar with its meaning.

4. Can the gear symbol be customized to a different symbol or text?

Yes, the gear symbol can be customized to a different symbol or text if desired. This change can be made through the underlying code or by using a different icon or image for the button.

5. Will this change affect the accessibility of the button for users with disabilities?

No, as long as the button's function remains the same, the accessibility of the button should not be affected. However, it is important to ensure that the new symbol or text is easily distinguishable and understandable for all users, including those with disabilities.