Motorcycle Rotational problems

In summary, a 320 kg motorcycle, including two wheels each with a rotational inertia of 2.1 kg·m2, will reach a height of 9.8 meters upon rolling up a hill at 85 km/h.
hellothere123

Homework Statement

1) A 320 kg motorcycle includes two wheels, each of which is 52 cm in diameter and has rotational inertia 2.1 kg·m2. The cycle and its 73 kg rider are coasting at 82 km/h on a flat road when they encounter a hill. If the cycle rolls up the hill with no applied power and no significant internal friction, what vertical height will it reach?

The Attempt at a Solution

for 1) I did the total kinetic energy(translational and rotational) to equal mgh, and that didnt work am i missing something?
so i had .5(393)(82*(1000/3600))^2 + .5(2.1)(82*(1000/3600)/.26)^2 = mgh

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i would like to learn how to do this..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: You are given the rotational inertia of each wheel. (Your basic approach is fine.)

so i thought i would multiply everything by 2 for each wheel, but still get it wrong.. am i doing anything else wrong?

Last edited:
hellothere123 said:
so i thought i would multiply everything by 2 for each wheel, but still get it wrong.. am i doing anything else wrong?
If you show your corrected equation we can check. What are you using for m?

i will change the numbers slightly to match a different problem that i have the solution for so i can see where i went wrong.
not much difference: A 320 kg motorcycle includes two wheels, each of which is 52 cm in diameter and has rotational inertia 2.1 kg·m2. The cycle and its 75 kg rider are coasting at 85 km/h on a flat road when they encounter a hill. If the cycle rolls up the hill with no applied power and no significant internal friction, what vertical height will it reach?

from .5mv^2 + Iw^2 = mgh

with numbers:
.5(395)(85*(1000/3600))^2 + 2.1([85*(1000/3600)]/.26)^2 = (395)(9.8)(h+.26)

hellothere123 said:
from .5mv^2 + Iw^2 = mgh

with numbers:
.5(395)(85*(1000/3600))^2 + 2.1([85*(1000/3600)]/.26)^2 = (395)(9.8)(h+.26)
The only part I would question is where you put "h + .26". Just use "h", which will give you the height increase of the motorcycle. (I suspect that's all they want.)

yea.. you are right. but to my understanding.. isn't it to the height of the center of mass? so i would have thought i should include the .26 but i guess not.. thanks.

Related to Motorcycle Rotational problems

1. What is motorcycle rotational inertia?

Motorcycle rotational inertia is the measure of how difficult it is to change the rotational motion of a motorcycle. It is determined by the mass and distribution of the motorcycle's components.

2. How does motorcycle rotational inertia affect handling?

The higher the rotational inertia of a motorcycle, the more difficult it is to change its rotational motion. This can make the motorcycle feel less responsive and more difficult to turn and maneuver.

3. How can motorcycle rotational inertia be adjusted?

Motorcycle rotational inertia can be adjusted by changing the mass and distribution of the motorcycle's components, such as the engine and wheels. Adding or removing weight from certain areas can also affect the rotational inertia.

4. What is gyroscopic precession in relation to motorcycles?

Gyroscopic precession is the phenomenon where the axis of rotation of a spinning object (such as a motorcycle wheel) will change when a force is applied at a different point on the object. This can affect the stability and handling of a motorcycle.

5. How does motorcycle rotational inertia affect braking?

Motorcycle rotational inertia can affect braking by causing the motorcycle to resist changes in its rotational motion. This can lead to a phenomenon known as "wheel hop," where the motorcycle's wheels lose traction and bounce off the ground, making it difficult to stop quickly and safely.