Rotational Kinetic Energy of Moving Wheel

In summary, to find the fraction of the total kinetic energy of a bicycle (including rider) that is due to the rotational kinetic energy of the wheels, you need to calculate the sum of the two wheels' energy and divide it by the total energy of the system. You can do this by expressing the angular velocity in terms of the linear velocity and using the equations KE=1/2 Iw^2 and KE=1/2 mv^2. The mass of the system is a variable that will be canceled out, so you do not need to be given the actual values for speed. Additionally, the concept of smooth rolling can be helpful in solving this problem.
easchwen

Homework Statement

A bicycle has wheels of radius 0.25 m. Each wheel has a rotational inertia of 0.096 kg* m2 about its axle. The total mass of the bicycle including the wheels and the rider is 79 kg. When coasting at constant speed, what fraction of the total kinetic energy of the bicycle (including rider) is the rotational kinetic energy of the wheels?

Homework Equations

KE=1/2 Iw^2 KE=1/2 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using (1/2 Iw^2)*(1/2 mv^2) = total KE, but that didn't seem to work. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. By " * " did you mean multiplying? It shouldn't be multiplying, it should a plus sign.

2. What you are asked for is the fraction of the wheels' energy; meaning [tex]\frac{E_{wheels}}{E_{total}}[/tex]

3. You have to calculate the sum of the two wheels' energy first. Divide that by the total energy of the whole thing.

yes, I meant a plus sign... my mistake! I still am unsure as to what I should do... I am not given angular velocity or linear velocity so I don't know how to find the energy.

easchwen said:
I am not given angular velocity or linear velocity so I don't know how to find the energy.
Since you only are asked to find the ratio, you don't need the actual values for the speed. Call the linear speed V. (Hint: You should be able to express the angular velocity in terms of V.)

Well, you don't always have to have all the data. e.g. the mass is a variable but will be canceled out--> [tex]E_{g}=K[/tex]
[tex]mgh=\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/tex]

Let me give you a hint. What happens in smooth rolling?

Related to Rotational Kinetic Energy of Moving Wheel

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its rotational motion. It is a form of mechanical energy, similar to the kinetic energy of an object in linear motion.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy calculated?

The rotational kinetic energy of a moving wheel can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where E is the rotational kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity of the wheel.

3. What factors affect the rotational kinetic energy of a moving wheel?

The rotational kinetic energy of a moving wheel is affected by the mass of the wheel, the radius of the wheel, and the angular velocity of the wheel. These factors can be manipulated to increase or decrease the rotational kinetic energy.

4. What is the difference between linear and rotational kinetic energy?

The main difference between linear and rotational kinetic energy is the type of motion they are associated with. Linear kinetic energy is associated with an object's motion in a straight line, while rotational kinetic energy is associated with an object's rotational motion around an axis.

5. How is rotational kinetic energy useful in real-world applications?

Rotational kinetic energy is useful in many real-world applications, such as in the design of machines and vehicles that rely on rotational motion. It is also important in sports, as it affects the performance of objects like balls and wheels. Understanding rotational kinetic energy can also help in the conservation of energy and efficient use of resources.