Motor that can move possibly up to 4kg

In summary, to push a 2kg robot using a motor, you will need a gearbox that turns the input shaft 8 times to generate the 4kg force.
CJNight15
I'm designing a robot to compete against a friend who is also making a robot based on the Robot Sumo competitions. We decided on the dimensions of our bots and placed a 2kg limit on their weight. I'm having trouble determining what motor to use that will be able to move my own ~2kg robot around and also push my friends ~2kg robot.

I'm unsure how to figure out the torque required to push (up to) 4kg. There's a stall torque at a particular voltage and then the gear ratio which affects the torque at the wheel and then the radius of the wheels. I've read these from various different sources and am just having trouble piecing it all together.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Suppose you have a motor with a stalled torque of 1inchpound. That means if the motor shaft had attached a pulley two inches in diameter and you wrapped a string around the pulley the string could lift up to a pound in weight (you don't want to overload the motor, this is just for an estimate). If you now attached a pulley that was a 1/4 of an inch in diameter to your motor and again wrapped a string around the pulley the string would now lift up to 8 pounds or about 4 kilograms. The motor pulley radius times the lifting weight is a constant determined by the motor.

This means that if you use 2 inch wheels you will need a gearbox that will increase the torque of your motor about 8 times or 8 turns on the input shaft = 1 turn on the output shaft to get about 4 kilograms of force using the motor above. You only have several numbers to work with, motor torque, wheel size, pushing force, and gear ratios . You can only play around with the numbers a few ways.

Don't worry too much about the math, you will pick that up. Hopefully if I made any gross errors they will be pointed out.

Last edited:

Related to Motor that can move possibly up to 4kg

What is a "Motor that can move possibly up to 4kg"?

A "Motor that can move possibly up to 4kg" refers to a type of motor or engine that is capable of moving objects weighing up to 4kg. This can include various types of motors such as electric motors, combustion engines, or hydraulic motors.

How does a "Motor that can move possibly up to 4kg" work?

The specific mechanism of how a "Motor that can move possibly up to 4kg" works depends on the type of motor. However, in general, it works by converting energy into motion, which is then used to move the object. For example, an electric motor uses electricity to create a magnetic field which interacts with the motor's coils to produce rotational motion.

What are some applications of a "Motor that can move possibly up to 4kg"?

A "Motor that can move possibly up to 4kg" has a wide range of applications, including robotics, manufacturing, transportation, and household appliances. For example, it can be used in robotic arms to perform precise movements, in conveyor belts to move objects along an assembly line, or in vacuum cleaners to power the suction mechanism.

What factors determine the weight capacity of a "Motor that can move possibly up to 4kg"?

The weight capacity of a "Motor that can move possibly up to 4kg" depends on several factors, including the type and size of the motor, the power source, and the efficiency of the motor. Additionally, external factors such as friction, gravity, and the surface on which the motor is operating can also affect its weight capacity.

Is it possible to increase the weight capacity of a "Motor that can move possibly up to 4kg"?

Yes, it is possible to increase the weight capacity of a "Motor that can move possibly up to 4kg" by using a larger or more powerful motor, improving its efficiency, or reducing external factors that may limit its weight capacity. However, there will always be a limit to the weight that a motor can move, and exceeding this limit can cause damage to the motor or the object being moved.