Robotics DC Motor Help: Testing Motors for Project

In summary, the conversation revolved around testing the purchased motors for a robotics project. The motors were found to be weaker than expected based on their specifications. The battery used was a 7.2V 5Ah LiPo, which should have been able to provide more current than what was needed for the motors. The motors' specs at 6V were also mentioned, with a free run current of 70 mA, stall current of 1.6 A, and stall torque of 125 oz*in. The torque was measured by attaching a mass to a string and using the equation T=F*r=mg*r. However, during testing with a 600g mass, the gears began to slip and the measured torque was well
jessicadrew
I'm currently trying to test the motors I bought for a robotics project to see if they'll work for our application and they seem to be much weaker than what should be expected based on the specs. During test, the battery is hooked directly to the motor and I'm measuring the current draw and the torque supplied to the wheel. The battery is a 7.2V 5Ah LiPo, so it should be able to much more current than what is needed for one of these motors.

The motors have the following specs at 6V (though it can be safely ran between 3 to 9V):
Free run current: 70 mA
Stall current: 1.6 A
Stall Torque: 125 oz*in

I'm measuring the torque on the motor by attaching a mass to a string and having the string wrap around the wheel and using the equation T=F*r=mg*r, where r is the radius of the wheel.

When testing the motors, the gears begin to slip with a 600g mass attached to the string. My calculations here are:

F=(.6 kg)*(9.81 kg/s^2)=5.9 N=17.9 oz

So,
T=(17.9 oz)*(2.16 in)=39 oz*in which is well below the maximum rated torque of the motor.

With the 600g mass the current was about 600 mA, which also suggests that I'm far from the maximum motor torque.

These results seem to imply that the motors are not performing as specified, but I wanted to make sure that I'm not doing something wrong while testing or with my calculations.

As a side note, these motors do have a 1000:1 gear ratio, so it makes sense that the gears would be the weak link, but only being able to get 30% of the specified torque seems extremely low.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Doesn't sound to me like a battery problem but I do note that you have said nothing about what the battery is capable of producing in sustainable current. That is, it COULD be (seems unlikely) that the 5Ah rating is only good as long as you keep the battery to 10 ma and it has a peak current output of 20 ma (I'm using ridiculously low numbers here just to make the point).

Related to Robotics DC Motor Help: Testing Motors for Project

1. How do I test a DC motor for my robotics project?

To test a DC motor for your robotics project, you will need a power source, a multimeter, and wires. First, connect the motor to the power source and make sure it is properly secured. Then, use the multimeter to measure the voltage across the motor's terminals. If the motor is working, the voltage reading should match the nominal voltage of the motor. You can also test the motor by manually turning the shaft and checking for any unusual noises or resistance.

2. What is the best way to control the speed of a DC motor in a robotics project?

The most common way to control the speed of a DC motor in a robotics project is by using a pulse width modulation (PWM) signal. This involves rapidly turning the motor on and off at varying duty cycles to achieve different speeds. Another option is to use a motor controller, which allows for more precise speed control.

3. How can I determine the torque of a DC motor for my robotics project?

The torque of a DC motor can be determined by applying a known load to the motor and measuring the resulting rotation speed. The torque is then calculated using the formula T = Kt * I, where T is torque, Kt is the torque constant of the motor, and I is the current passing through the motor. You can also consult the datasheet of the motor for its rated torque.

4. Can I use any DC motor for my robotics project?

No, it is important to choose a DC motor that is suitable for your specific robotics project. Factors to consider include the motor's voltage and current requirements, speed and torque capabilities, size and weight, and compatibility with your control system. It is recommended to consult with a knowledgeable engineer or do thorough research before selecting a motor.

5. How can I improve the performance of my DC motor in my robotics project?

There are several ways to improve the performance of a DC motor in a robotics project. Some options include using a higher voltage power supply, adding gears or a gearbox to increase torque, or implementing a closed-loop system with feedback from sensors. It is also important to regularly maintain and lubricate the motor to ensure optimal performance.