How Can I Safely Extend the Shaft of My Motor for Encoder Installation?

• Thread starter vinayak Joshi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor Shaft
In summary, the conversation was about finding a way to extend the motor shaft in order to mount an encoder at the back side of the output shaft of the gearbox. The options discussed were drilling a hole into the shaft, bonding a metallic part to the back side with adhesive, or slotting the shaft and adding a matching extension. The concern of damaging the bearing and finding the right adhesive were also brought up. The possibility of using an optical pattern and retroreflector for the encoder and monitoring the motor speed from the long end of the shaft were also mentioned.
vinayak Joshi
Hi,

I have this motor with me,
http://www.etonm.com/products_detail/&productId=46.html

What I want to do is mount an encoder at the back side of the output shaft of the gearbox. I am trying to figure out how to extend the motor shaft in the rear side. The encoder I am fitting will be optical, and as such will not put any load on the gearbox shaft.I thought of drilling a hole into the shaft's back-side, but then realized, that it may cause the shaft to expand making it press fit into the bearing. Now for obvious reasons, I don't want that to happen.

The second idea i though of was to stick a metallic part to the back side of the shaft with a metal adhesive. But my friends told be that's a bad idea, as the adhesive will come off if the motor experiences vibrations, which in my application it will.

Please help.

Thanks for the reply.

Engineering news on Phys.org
vinayak Joshi said:
Hi,

I have this motor with me,
http://www.etonm.com/products_detail/&productId=46.html

What I want to do is mount an encoder at the back side of the output shaft of the gearbox. I am trying to figure out how to extend the motor shaft in the rear side. The encoder I am fitting will be optical, and as such will not put any load on the gearbox shaft.I thought of drilling a hole into the shaft's back-side, but then realized, that it may cause the shaft to expand making it press fit into the bearing. Now for obvious reasons, I don't want that to happen.

The second idea i though of was to stick a metallic part to the back side of the shaft with a metal adhesive. But my friends told be that's a bad idea, as the adhesive will come off if the motor experiences vibrations, which in my application it will.

Please help.

Thanks for the reply.
Welcome to the PF.

From your link, it's hard to see what part of what shaft you are asking about. Could you upload a picture that shown the shaft more clearly? If you can find a *.JPG image of it, you can use the little picture icon thing above the edit window to link to the picture. Otherwise, if you have an image of it on your computer, you can use the UPLOAD button at the bottom right to upload the image or PDF.

It looks to me like the OP wants to attach an encoder to the "stub" shaft at the back of the motor opposite the gearbox.

I'd say your "best" bet is probably to drill a hole in the shaft, but you might be able to bond something to it. Even with vibration its possible to choose a durable adhesive (like a high-strength epoxy) that could tolerate the vibration. But, you would not be able to disassemble the motor for servicing after bonding.

@berkeman: I don't actually have the motor in hand. Still waiting for the delivery. I have taken the picture from online and highlighted the back side of the motor shaft with a red color circle. What you see there, is an 8 mm shaft at the center, then there is a 2mm thickness (OD-ID) bearing, and then an extruded part of the gearbox casing.
What I need is some way to extend the 8mm shaft. I have also uploaded a photo of what the front of the gearbox looks like, so that no-one gets confused. As per what I am rotating with the help of the motor, I have no way of mounting an encoder on the front side. So the back side is where I need the encoder.

@Mech_Engineer: As I Mentioned earlier, I don't want to endup spoiling the bearing, while drilling. I think there is a reason to believe, that the shaft might expand slightly If I drill it. Now if there is a way to absolutely avoid that, I am all ears.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 418
  • Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 425
What if you slot the shaft along a diameter, and then you can add a matching shaft of desired length and width with the end machined to fit nicely into the slot. Slot can be part of an arc and you might be able to do that carefully with a dremel tool. Just make sure the fit is just tight enough so that backlash is eliminated and alignment of the extension does not cause problems when assembled. Or that the bearing surface is disturbed one either the shaft or mating surface.

What resolution do you need from your encoder? You might just be able to glue an optical pattern to the short end of the shaft and use a fine retroreflector to read the pulses as the shaft turns.

Also, how come you can't do something with the long end of the shaft instead? What are you attaching to the long end? Is it that you want the motor speed monitored and not the geared-down speed?

Likes CWatters
+1 to that. Just watch you don't get paint of glue in the bearing.

I reckon you could carefully drill and tap a thread up to say M3 in the 8mm shaft. Use a lathe to centre the hole? Take it apart first.

You might also find that the gear inside is a press fit on the shaft - might be possible to push the gear along the shaft so that a bit more sticks out the back.

Likes billy_joule

Related to How Can I Safely Extend the Shaft of My Motor for Encoder Installation?

What is a motor shaft extender?

A motor shaft extender is a component that is attached to the end of a motor shaft to extend its length. This allows for the motor to be used in applications where a longer shaft is required.

How does a motor shaft extender work?

A motor shaft extender is typically made of a strong and durable material, such as steel, and is designed to fit securely onto the end of a motor shaft. It may have threading or keys to ensure a tight fit. The extended length of the shaft allows for the motor to reach further distances or connect to other components.

What are the benefits of using a motor shaft extender?

The main benefit of using a motor shaft extender is that it allows for flexibility in motor applications. It eliminates the need to purchase a new motor with a longer shaft, and instead, a motor with a shorter shaft can be extended to fit the desired length. This saves time and money in the long run.

How do I choose the right motor shaft extender?

When choosing a motor shaft extender, it is important to consider the size and type of motor shaft it will be attached to, as well as the length of the extender. It should also be made of a durable material that can withstand the torque and load of the motor. It is recommended to consult with a professional or refer to the manufacturer's specifications to ensure the correct fit.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a motor shaft extender?

Yes, it is important to make sure the motor shaft extender is securely attached to the motor shaft and that it is not overloaded beyond its capacity. It is also important to follow proper installation procedures to avoid any potential hazards. Always refer to the manufacturer's instructions for proper and safe use.