Can multiple motors drive single axle (water pump here)

In summary, the conversation is about using multiple motors to drive one shaft in a device. The individual is looking for motors that meet their size and price requirements, and they have found that cordless drill motors are ideal. They are considering using 3-6 motors and want to know if running them in series would provide any benefits. There is a discussion about using brushless vs brushed motors and the concerns with using multiple chains or belts to drive the axle. Additionally, there is a question about whether using multiple motors in parallel would ensure they all run at the same speed and whether there would be complications with using chains. Finally, there is a mention of the speed controller and how it affects the motors.
R_Rose
I have a dilemma with the design of a device I want to build which is acquiring the correct size motor (shape & power) in my price range (even finding one within specs). I have found that the motors from cordless drills are ideal for this application (due to size, price and availability) so they meet all my requirements as long as I can use multiple motors to turn one shaft.

I need 3-6 motors to drive the axle of a water pump. I can easily fit 6-8 in my design if I need the power and battery capacity is not a concern at all.

If I use multiple motors I will use all the same models so they are identical.

If multiple motors are used, let's say 18v brushless DC, can I run them in series (would there be any benefit to this)? I can make the battery bank 18-20v or multiples there-of. I can easily run a heavy bus bar if running in parallel so current isn't an issue here. Is one better than the other?

Attachments

• 4motor.jpg
    4motor.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 409
Engineering news on Phys.org
Won't using multiple brushless motors complicate the speed controller? You can't use one controller to drive them all. Might be simpler to use brushed motors.

CWatters said:
Won't using multiple brushless motors complicate the speed controller? You can't use one controller to drive them all. Might be simpler to use brushed motors.

If the motors are all the same and they are wired in parallel, wouldn't they all run at the same speed? I'm not sure why brushed (universal??) motors would be better.

I was trying to design the motor layout for using multiples and it seems to get complicated (in my arraingement) when figuring out the path of the belt/chain. I'm wondering if there are problems with using 2 chains or belts so I would have 2 sprockets or pullies on the axle to be driven and I would have 2-3 motors on each belt/chain. I'm a little more concerned with using chains in this situation.

On a brushless motor the speed controller also does the comutation. It switches power to each winding in turn based on the rotor position. The rotor position is typically sensed by monitoring the voltage on an un powered winding.

So its not enough that they run at the same speed. They also have to be in phase...or use one controller per motor.

Related to Can multiple motors drive single axle (water pump here)

1. Can multiple motors be connected to a single axle?

Yes, multiple motors can be connected to a single axle as long as the motors are synchronized and have the same power output. This can be achieved by using a gear system or a motor controller.

2. What are the advantages of using multiple motors on a single axle?

Using multiple motors on a single axle can provide more power and torque, resulting in increased efficiency and better performance. It also allows for redundancy, as if one motor fails, the others can still operate the axle.

3. Is it possible to control each motor independently when connected to a single axle?

Yes, it is possible to control each motor independently when connected to a single axle by using a motor controller that allows for individual control of each motor. This can be useful for fine-tuning the performance of the axle.

4. How do you ensure that the multiple motors are synchronized when connected to a single axle?

To ensure that the multiple motors are synchronized, it is important to use motors with the same power output and to properly align and secure them on the axle. Using a motor controller can also help with synchronization.

5. Can any type of motor be used for driving a single axle?

The type of motor used for driving a single axle depends on the specific application and requirements. Electric motors, hydraulic motors, and internal combustion engines are all commonly used for driving axles in various industries.