Motion in Plane: Calculate Angle of Plane Travel w/ Pythagorean Theorem

In summary, the plane traveled around 270 miles and the car traveled 370 miles. The plane traveled at an angle south of west of 270.8 miles.
dman_PL
A car and a small plane travel from the same starting point to the same destination by different routes. The plane travels in a straight line for 65 minutes at an average speed of 250mph (1m/s = 2.24mph). The car travels 370 miles along a route that goes due south and then due west, further west than south. If the plane traveled in a straight line, at what angle south of west did it travel?

I know I have to use the pythagorean theorem (at least i think so)
but I just can't get it set up right.

Physics news on Phys.org
dman_PL said:
A car and a small plane travel from the same starting point to the same destination by different routes. The plane travels in a straight line for 65 minutes at an average speed of 250mph (1m/s = 2.24mph). The car travels 370 miles along a route that goes due south and then due west, further west than south. If the plane traveled in a straight line, at what angle south of west did it travel?

I know I have to use the pythagorean theorem (at least i think so)
but I just can't get it set up right.

Welcome to the PF.

Start by drawing the triangle that they describe. Label the lengths of the triangle, and see if you see how to do the trig...

See I know how to do the trig, but I just cannot find the lengths of the sides other than the hypothenus

dman_PL said:
See I know how to do the trig, but I just cannot find the lengths of the sides other than the hypothenus

Well, you know the distance that the plane flew (as you say, the hypoteneus). So you could draw a circle centered at the origin of that radius. And the car travels 370 total miles south and then west. Can you construct a sum of the south side and west side of the triangle that totals 370 miles that intersects that circle...? Think of it algebraically...

I'm not sure if the couple of hours I have spent staring at this problem have helped me and I am probably over thinking it, but I am lost.

dman_PL said:
I'm not sure if the couple of hours I have spent staring at this problem have helped me and I am probably over thinking it, but I am lost.

Probably. How far did the plane go?

And what equation can you write relating the x and y sides of the triangle to the hypoteneuse?

You should end up with a quadratic equation, and use the fact that you are given about "farther west than south" to help you pick which of the two solutions is correct...

I got the plane to travel around 270 Miles.

As far as quadratic equations go, I was definitely not even thinking about that. All that is stuck on my paper is like x^2+y^2=c^2 with x being the west direction and y being the south.

dman_PL said:
I got the plane to travel around 270 Miles.

As far as quadratic equations go, I was definitely not even thinking about that. All that is stuck on my paper is like x^2+y^2=c^2 with x being the west direction and y being the south.

Good. Use 270.8 miles for the hypoteneus.

Now, you correctly write the Pythagorean theorm for the sides of the triangle. There is one other equation you need to use, which is the sum of the x and y sides equals what?

Once you have the two equations, you need to solve them together to find x and 7.

I will be offline for a while. Have at it!

Thanks for the help (sorry for being late on this). I did end up getting it, and I was really overthinking it. Thanks again :)

Related to Motion in Plane: Calculate Angle of Plane Travel w/ Pythagorean Theorem

1. How do you calculate the angle of plane travel using the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem can be used to calculate the angle of plane travel by taking the inverse tangent of the ratio of the opposite side (height of plane) to the adjacent side (distance traveled by plane). This will give you the angle in radians, which can be converted to degrees by multiplying by 180/π.

2. What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is a mathematical formula that states the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. It is often used to solve problems involving distance, such as in calculating the angle of plane travel.

3. Why is the Pythagorean theorem useful in motion problems?

The Pythagorean theorem is useful in motion problems because it allows us to calculate the distance traveled or the angle of travel without having to directly measure or observe it. This can be especially helpful in situations where direct measurement is difficult or impossible, such as with planes flying at high altitudes.

4. Can the Pythagorean theorem be used in any plane motion scenario?

Yes, the Pythagorean theorem can be used in any plane motion scenario where a right triangle is involved. This includes situations like a plane traveling at an angle, a car driving on a curved road, or a boat moving through water at an angle.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Pythagorean theorem in motion problems?

The Pythagorean theorem can only be used in situations where the motion is happening in a straight line or along a curve that can be approximated as a series of straight lines. It also assumes that the motion is happening at a constant speed. If there are changes in speed or direction, other formulas and principles, such as calculus, may be necessary to accurately calculate the motion.