Plane ride relative motion problem

In summary, when trying to solve for VPG, using the complementary angle of 120, the correct answer is found by multiplying together the i and j components of the vector VPG.
clydefrog

Homework Statement

You are traveling on an airplane. The velocity of the plane with respect to the air is 160 m/s due east. The velocity of the air with respect to the ground is 41 m/s at an angle of 30° west of due north.

1) What is the speed of the plane with respect to the ground?

Homework Equations

VAB=VAC+VBC
Pythagorean theorem
Trigonometry
(Not so sure about these)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that VPG=VPA+VAG, but I'm not sure about how to break velocities into their components.
I kept VPA at 160 since it only moves in one dimension (only east), and I tried breaking up VAG as such:

41cos60i+41sin60j

(60 degrees since that is the angle formed when putting VAG tip to tail with VPA)

Added to VPA:
236.507 m/s

In searching various forums (this seems a common homework question), I've seen very different solutions than mine, so I know mine is wrong.

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
OK so I tried using the complementary angle of 120, and then added the i (160 + 41cos120) and j (41sin60) components, then put each into the Pythagorean theorem

VPG=√(i-components2 + j-components2) = 143.9479, which is the right answer

I'm unsure as to why 120 was the right angle to use... o_O

Last edited:
clydefrog said:
OK so I tried using the complementary angle of 120, and then added the i (160 + 41cos120) and j (41sin60) components, then put each into the Pythagorean theorem

VPG=√(i-components2 + j-components2) = 143.9479, which is the right answer

I'm unsure as to why 120 was the right angle to use... o_O
Always make a sketch. These are quite useful in showing how to decompose vectors into their components.

Remember,to decompose a vector into its unit vector components in i and j, due east represents a heading angle of 0 degrees.

Thanks, the confusion turned out to be coming from a bad drawing.

Related to Plane ride relative motion problem

1. How does the relative motion of a plane affect its flight time?

The relative motion of a plane does not affect its flight time. The flight time is determined by the distance to be traveled, the speed of the plane, and any external factors such as wind or weather conditions.

2. What factors contribute to the relative motion of a plane during a flight?

The main factors that contribute to the relative motion of a plane during a flight are its own speed and direction of travel, the speed and direction of any wind or air currents, and the rotation of the Earth.

3. How does the relative motion of a plane affect the experience of passengers on board?

The relative motion of a plane can affect the experience of passengers on board in terms of turbulence and changes in the angle of the plane. However, modern planes are designed to minimize these effects and provide a smooth ride for passengers.

4. What is the difference between airspeed and groundspeed in relation to a plane's relative motion?

Airspeed refers to the speed of the plane relative to the surrounding air, while groundspeed refers to the speed of the plane relative to the ground. The difference between the two is affected by wind and air currents, and can be used by pilots to determine the most efficient flight path.

5. How does the concept of relative motion apply to air traffic control?

Air traffic controllers use the concept of relative motion to monitor and regulate the movement of planes in the air. They take into account the speed, direction, and altitude of each plane to ensure safe and efficient air traffic flow.