Vector addition word problem question

In summary, the conversation is about solving a word problem involving the velocity of an aircraft and a northwest wind. The correct solution involves calculating the velocity of the aircraft relative to the ground and determining the angle at which the pilot should point the plane to reach their destination. The confusion arises from the interpretation of the angle, which is determined by the components of the final calculation. The angle of 12.12° south of west is found to be in the fourth quadrant due to both components being negative.
personguything
I solved a word problem correctly...But I'm a little confused about what my answer means, I guess I'm having trouble understanding how they got the meaning of the numbers. My question is about step (b).

Problem:
The velocity of an aircraft is 200 km/hr due west. A northwest wind of 50 km/hr is blowing.
a. What is the velocity of the aircraft relative to the ground?
b. If the pilot's destination is due west, at what angle should he point his plane to get there?
c. If his destination is 400 km due west, how long will it take him to get there?

My correct answer:
G = 200
Gx = 200*cos(180°) = -200
Gy = 200*sin(180°) = 0
Gθ = 180°
---
W = 50
Wx = 50*cos(315°) = 35.36
Wy = 50*sin(315°) = -35.36
Wθ = 315°

R = √[(-35.46)2+(-164.64)2] = 168.4
Rx = -164.64
Ry = -35.36
Rθ = arctan[(-35.36)/(-164.64)] = 12.12°
...And I also solved step C, but it's not relevant.

The book says the plane is moving 168.4 km/hr at 12.12° south of west...
I don't understand how they knew what the 12.12° meant...How did they know it was south of west, rather than north-east, which is the direction your average 12.12° on the unit circle would face?

Physics news on Phys.org
It follows from your definition of the angle as angle between air and ground speed (=W).

mfb said:
It follows from your definition of the angle as angle between air and ground speed (=W).

I don't understand... Normally when I do this exact series of equations, I get an angle that I can just use as a normal angle... What is the difference? How am I supposed to know it means "south of west"?

Somewhere in the solution process, you introduce an angle θ. Check where this is done, and how the angle got defined. You have to stick to that definition in the interpretation of θ afterwards, of course.

Both of the components in your final calculation of Rtheta are negative.
This should tell you that the vector lies in the fourth quadrant, which is south of west.

SteamKing said:
Both of the components in your final calculation of Rtheta are negative.
This should tell you that the vector lies in the fourth quadrant, which is south of west.

The angle made by 12.12° south of west is 192.12°, wouldn't that be in the 3rd quadrant?

personguything said:
The angle made by 12.12° south of west is 192.12°, wouldn't that be in the 3rd quadrant?
I think SteamKing meant that since both components of Rtheta are negative the vector lies in the third quadrant

haruspex said:
I think SteamKing meant that since both components of Rtheta are negative the vector lies in the third quadrant

So if xcomp = neg, ycomp = neg it's 3rd, xcomp = pos, ycomp = neg it's 4th etc?

personguything said:
So if xcomp = neg, ycomp = neg it's 3rd, xcomp = pos, ycomp = neg it's 4th etc?

Yes.

Related to Vector addition word problem question

1. How do I solve a vector addition word problem?

To solve a vector addition word problem, you need to first identify the given vectors and their corresponding magnitudes and directions. Then, use the parallelogram method or the head-to-tail method to draw the vectors and find the resultant vector. Finally, use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to calculate the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

2. What is the difference between scalar and vector addition?

Scalar addition involves adding two quantities that have only magnitude, while vector addition involves adding two quantities that have both magnitude and direction. Scalar addition is a simple arithmetic operation, while vector addition requires the use of graphical methods and trigonometric functions.

3. Can vectors be added in any order?

No, the order in which vectors are added affects the result of vector addition. The head-to-tail method is commutative, meaning the order of addition does not matter. However, the parallelogram method is not commutative, so changing the order of addition will result in a different resultant vector.

4. What is the significance of the direction of a vector in vector addition?

The direction of a vector is crucial in vector addition because it determines the angle at which the vector is added to the resultant vector. This angle affects the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector, making it an essential factor in solving vector addition word problems.

5. How can I check if my answer to a vector addition word problem is correct?

You can check your answer by using the head-to-tail method or the parallelogram method in reverse. This means drawing the resultant vector and one of the given vectors, then using graphical methods and trigonometric functions to find the missing vector. If the answer matches the given vector, then your solution is correct.