Most re-watched movies, and why.

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movies
In summary: I mean come on, the acting sucks)The Matrix (I wish I could be Neo. "Stop trying to hit me and hit me!")Fight Club (So much more meaningful than it seems)Office Space (Reminds me of my first job, and anyone who's had a job in a cubicle can relate)In summary, the conversation discussed the movies that the participants have watched multiple times and the reasons behind it. Some mentioned childhood favorites like The Wizard of Oz and Christmas TV movies, while others mentioned movies that they found to be meaningful or relatable. Some had a special connection to the movie, like All That Jazz, while others enjoyed the underdog theme in movies like Seabiscuit and Space Cowboys. Jet Li and
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
While we're on a movie kick, what movies have you watched the most times, and what made you want to watch them more than once?

I knew of people in LA who had seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show hundreds of times. I never saw it until last year. My opinion: :eek:

Wizard of Oz: When I was a kid, this was on every year around Easter for some reason.

All That Jazz: I just loved that movie for some reason; I think because I feel a strong connection to the line and recurring theme, approx: "life is what happens while you're on the wire [referring to a tight-rope as a metaphor for taking risks], and the rest is just waiting".

Christmas TV movies: Watched as a kid for obvious reasons - ie. they were on every year.

Sound of Music - an all time family favorite

But beyond a doubt, Metropolis hooked me unlike any other movie. I probably watched it ten times within a month of the first viewing. So much about this movie works for me that I don't even know where to begin. It is a lesson for all time, a love story, a coming of age story, a science fiction story [the first to use the idea of a robot], a story about excess, social strife, and the separation of the classes. It is the story of how civilizations rise and fall, and a story that ends with hope and the dawn of a new age. It is also a story seen through the eyes of one of the all time grand masters of cinema.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have seen 'On Any Sunday' that old motorcycling movie from the 70's like a million times. It's a classic.

Probably I would watch again any of the classics mentioned in this thread -
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=106987

I remember 'On Any Sunday' - I have watched it twice. :biggrin:

Star Wars and Lord of the Rings - I have watched at least twice, and the SW trilogy probably several times - with the kids.

Mostly, for myself, I would not watch a movie more than twice, and often only once.

Part of a movie experience is sharing it with someone, and that would be the main motivation behind my first statement.

Seabiscuit, dozens of times already. I like the underdog theme.

Music Man, hundreds of times. I like the old fashioned feel.

The Harry Potter movies. I just like them. Probably some of the underdog theme working in them.

Space Cowboys, dozens of times. Just a "Yeehah!" type of fun movie, if you don't get caught up in the science. A little underdog theme in this also.

Galaxy Quest, dozens of times. Fish out of water theme and underdog theme. Fun movie.

M.P. and the Holy Grail, Murder by Death, Young Frankenstein, lots of times each. They're all fun movies.

Desk Set, dozens of times. Cute romance. Involves an engineer and computers, what's not to like?

Wackiest Ship in the Army, dozens of times. Underdog theme.

Vacation, dozens of times. Beverly DeAngleo's boobs. :biggrin: :rolleyes: did I write that outloud?

Leon.

Best preformance of Jean reno. ever.

Bladibla said:
Leon.
Agree with you! That's a great movie!

Best of the best and bloodsport. I can't tell which one I have seen most times. But I have seen each of them atleast 100 times(nope I am not kidding).

This was when me and my friends where really into martial arts movies. We watched them daily for god knows how long :approve:

I have seen The Predator and Commando a awfull lot of times as well. The Predator is easily one of the best movies ever made!

Last edited:
Kiss of the dragon

Jet li is awesometastic! And that scene on the boat where he beats up all the, oddly enough, knife-armed special forces guys is sweeeeeeet

Pengwuino said:
Kiss of the dragon

Jet li is awesometastic! And that scene on the boat where he beats up all the, oddly enough, knife-armed special forces guys is sweeeeeeet

Ohh hell yeah now your talking. But (if you havent) you need to watch his china/hong kong movies. The evil cult, fist of legend, once upon a time in china. They all completely blows KoD away.

Time Bandits, I will NEVER get tired of it. That has to be my favorite movie of all time.

The Brave Little Toaster. I can't count how many times I've watched that. It's a great story, cute characters and I love the songs.

Holy Grail

Evo said:
The Brave Little Toaster. I can't count how many times I've watched that. It's a great story, cute characters and I love the songs.
:smile: Yep, I didn't mention the kids movies, but I watched this one countless times with my children. Cute characters and catchy songs.

When I was little I would watch Bambi all day...it would finish playing and I would have my mom rewind it and play it again...I loved it for some reason ...lol

Greg Bernhardt said:
Big Lebowski, it never gets old.
What he said. Add to that Karate Kid I. Those two I have seen dozens of times each.

I will always re-watch the following:

Airplane
LA Story
Dogma
Monty Python (um...all of them)
Dr Strangelove
Dark City
Contact
Farinelli Il Castrato (amazing music!)

Except for Farinelli, which I don't own yet, I've seen each of these at least a dozen times (Dogma probably about 50 times - must be that recovering catholic in me)

I have a certain core set of movies I will continue to watch until the day I die.

daveb said:
I will always re-watch the following:
Airplane
LA Story
Monty Python (um...all of them)
Awesome start there Dave. I add to those for me:

Big Trouble in Little China (Kurt Russel is hilarious in it)
Breaveheart (awwwwwwesome. If I had to be a 12th century Scottish peseant, that's how I'd want to do it.)
Star Wars (Best story line ever even if poorly acted out)

Pretty much any movie that is a favorite of mine I would watch several times. I've already mentioned some of these...
Brazil
Blade Runner
Pleasantville
Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead
Hitchhiker's Guide (the new one if it were out/ haven't seen the old BBC version yet :redface:)
The Never Ending Story (shut up!:mad::wink:)
Wizards
Reservoir Dogs
and lots more I can't think of at the moment.

Top Gun is the movie that I have seen so many times I hate to watch it. It's all the fault of my mom, sister, aunt, and cousins who all watched it CONSTANTLY!

When I was a kid I used to watch Pete's Dragon all the time. That and Herbie Rides Again. Oh and The Secret of NIMH.

I'm wondering. Has anyone else here seen Pleasantville and liked it? I can't seem to find anyone anywhere that even remembers it let alone likes it as much as I do.

LeBrad said:
What he said. Add to that Karate Kid I. Those two I have seen dozens of times each.

no really, he watches karate kid WAY too much...

me, i like disney movies a lot, especially mulan, hercules, aladdin, and the lion king, because they're inspiring and i love to sing to them and quote all the good lines.

i've recently watched The Life Aquatic quite a few times, i really love that movie.
10 things i hate about you i watched over and over all day long when it first came out. i guess cause I'm a teenage girl :rolleyes: i loved that soundtrack too.
plus anything that's on Starz just cause i get bored and end up watchin the same movies over and over since they don't change their movies often enough.

TheStatutoryApe said:
When I was a kid I used to watch Pete's Dragon all the time. That and Herbie Rides Again. Oh and The Secret of NIMH.

I loved NIMH and the books too. i haven't seen that in ages though. i used to watch that and Fern Gulley all the time.
I'm wondering. Has anyone else here seen Pleasantville and liked it? I can't seem to find anyone anywhere that even remembers it let alone likes it as much as I do.

I loved that movie! i thought it was really good. i never quite got the ending though when the mum is on the bench with her husband AND the diner guy. does she end up staying with them both?? menagez-toi?

TheStatutoryApe said:
Pretty much any movie that is a favorite of mine I would watch several times. I've already mentioned some of these...
Brazil
Blade Runner
Pleasantville
Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead
Hitchhiker's Guide (the new one if it were out/ haven't seen the old BBC version yet :redface:)
The Never Ending Story (shut up!:mad::wink:)
Wizards
Reservoir Dogs
and lots more I can't think of at the moment.
Top Gun is the movie that I have seen so many times I hate to watch it. It's all the fault of my mom, sister, aunt, and cousins who all watched it CONSTANTLY!
The Never Ending Story and The Secret of NIMH.

Princess Bride is another I never get tired of - "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Gale said:
I loved NIMH and the books too. i haven't seen that in ages though. i used to watch that and Fern Gulley all the time.
I loved that movie! i thought it was really good. i never quite got the ending though when the mum is on the bench with her husband AND the diner guy. does she end up staying with them both?? menagez-toi?
I watched Fern Gully a few times.
I haven't seen Pleasantville in a long while but I vaguely remember that part. I'm not really sure.

any animated movie.d..fern gully was a good one...didn't really like NIMH
Down under was good...i like the american tail and land before time series.
Titan AE, Atlantis

JetLi and Jackie Chan chinese filmed movies...Once Upon a Time in China series is awesome(i need 5 and 6 and all the shaolin jackie chan movies.
the gambling series.
stephen chow movies
Hao Hsiao Tze kung fu series.

What Dreams May Come
Ronin
Underworld
Unleashed: jetli's new one the bathroom stall fight scene the best one I've seen.

Leon(the professional was a good movie...don't know if i'd say yit was reno's best movie but its up there, natalie portman and gary oldmans best)

scifi movie like 5th element, aliens, starshiptroopers Riddick

Dark city was also a good movie.
Die Hard 1 and only #1
Some romance comedies like Love Actually
LOTR, HP Series

ah yes Princess bride, Men in tights, and Never ending story,
and Labyrinth.

hmm i watch too many movies.

neurocomp2003 said:
any animated movie.d..fern gully was a good one...didn't really like NIMH
Down under was good...i like the american tail and land before time series.
Titan AE, Atlantis

i never really liked atlantis, i surprisingly really did like Titan AE, though i thought that'd suck. Down under i still watch a lot, i never liked the movie before it so much, and american tail was good, but i liked Feifel goes west better! land before time... oh brother..

oh i really liked the 5th element too. kinda corny, but i get a kick out of it. reminds me of demolition man, which I've seen a dozen times too.

oh, and i really liked romeo and juliet with leo dicaprio, i love the soundtrack and like the whole movie.

I wouldn't have remembered it without Gale, but I agree about The Life Aquatic. I make everyone watch it and I watch it with them, but no one but me seems to like it. I even went out and got the soundtrack which is mostly David bowie songs in Portugese.
Flipping through the channels I'll always stop on Matrix and MASH and there is one movie I don't know the name of but it is about free divers and is really peaceful and the guy dies in the end. I also stop on Braveheart, The Postman, Devil's Advocate and here's my embarassing entry: Sister Act. when the quiet nun sings "Sweet Seraphim" I get goose bumps. Oh and one more I love but don't see anymore is that Steve Martin one where he's a preacher. Add any steve martin movie to my list
I recently got a copy of my favorite Disney Movie, which has never been released in the US. "The Song of the South" It was probably the first movie I ever saw in a theater and when it was over i cried so much my mom had to buy another ticket and watch it again.
I saw the first Star wars over 25 times in the theater back in the 70s. once with only me and my brother in the room. We sat in the front row right in the middle.

Last edited:
I'm ashamed to say that the only movies I rewatch often are Rat Race and Down to Earth. Neither are particularly good, which is why I don't understand why I like them so much. Also, I watch seasons 1 & 2 of Arrested Development as often as I can.

tribdog said:
I wouldn't have remembered it without Gale, but I agree about The Life Aquatic. I make everyone watch it and I watch it with them, but no one but me seems to like it
The Evo Child told me it was a funny movie so we watched it together. After about 45 minutes she said, well, it will start getting funny soon. It never got funny. Ok, I admit, I left the room before the movie finished. It was the first movie in my entire life I was TOO BORED to finish watching. It was neither funny or interesting and I'm pretty easily amused.

Last edited:
Bladibla said:
Leon.

a classic.

it won't be in the oscars or the criterion collection anytime soon but i must've watched die hard 10+ times. second is swingers, total guy movie. every guy should see it. a must see.

I didn't care for The Life Aquatic much myself. It was cute but I thought it was pretty dull for the most part.

Oh hey. There's a movie I saw only a couple scenes from once and have never been able to find it. It's set in England and I thought that the title was something like "One Moment later" or "The Moment After" or something like that. While I can get hits for these titles they don't seem to be the movie I'm looking for.
The scenes I saw...
The main characters (boyfriend and girlfriend) are at an underground club. The atmosphere is like an aniseptic hospital with slightly dimmed and flickering neon lights. Most of the club goers are wearing hospital looking gowns and others are wearing rubber and latex, all the clothes though are white or near white. People are lining up and sitting in stirruped chairs to get piercings of various sorts from these women in bondage nurse uniforms.
The maion characters are talking to a man whom they believe is high up in a drug ring and one of them gets embarassed when they say something about it and everyone looks at them like they just made a big party foul.
The gentleman that they are talking to is dressed in a really nice suit with dark colours in contrast to the majority of the party goers and is the man who is throwing the party. At some point the DJ starts scratching a record and making a terrible attempt at being a DJ rapper. The man in the suit gets up and walks over to his turntable set up. Paraphrased...
"What the hell do you think you're doing?"
"I'm DJing. And who the hell are you?"
"I'm the guy who hired you. Now just play the ****ing music!"
"**** off!"
"Oh... really?"
At this point the man reaches over the turntables, grabs the DJ by his big puffy coat, then head butts him right in the face. He drags him over the turn tables and throws him on the ground then motions for his henchmen to get rid of the guy.
The man takes a hankerchief out of his pocket and wipes his forehead with it thern starts looking around at all of the astonished people as he delicately returns it to his pocket. He starts snapping the fingers of one hand while swinging it as if making time with music. Then he starts singing Sinatra ("Fly Me to the Moon" I think). As he sings he starts dancing around the club and flirting with women, randomly punches some guy in the face.

The other scene the male lead walks into a drug store to buy some food stuffs and cigarettes. When he places his items on the counter the man behind the counter reaches across and grabs him pulling a knifer out from behind the counter. The man orders him to empty his pockets and put all the money on the counter then tells him to pick it up and place it in his pocket(the pocket of the man behind the counter). After this is done the man let's him go and he starts to take off out the door. The man yells "Hey!" and he stops to look back. The man points to the things on the counter and asks "Did you want your stuff?" He walks over carefully, grabs the items, then leaves the store very bewildered.

I think I've gone about this too long huh?
Really I just want to find it for the scene where the guy sings Sinatra.

Evo said:
The Evo Child told me it was a funny movie so we watched it together. After about 45 minutes she said, well, it will start getting funny soon. It never got funny. Ok, I admit, I left the room before the movie finished. It was the first movie in my entire life I was TOO BORED to finish watching. It was neither funny or interesting and I'm pretty easily amused.
I watched the whole thing and said this was either a really stupid movie or a really great movie. I decided not to be so negative and I watched it again and I liked it more and more and more. It is definitely an either love it or hate it movie.
You probably left the movie and jumped online and started editing the GD page. You have physics forums on the brain and nothing else is going to be able to hold your attention for long. You should think about dating someone from pf. Someone fun and exciting. Think about it and give me a call.

gale: yah i shouldn't have said the land before time series..i meant hte american tail series(there was 3rd one but i don't remember the name,i thought the first one was more heartfelt)...I loved the first Land before time. teh 2nd was decent but the last 5(3-7) ugh...well i can only say i watched 3 and 4. and yeah and to add to the cartoon list who can forget the classics GI JOE and Xformers.

also Grosse point blank is a fun movie to watch.

Last edited:
tribdog said:
I watched the whole thing and said this was either a really stupid movie or a really great movie. I decided not to be so negative and I watched it again and I liked it more and more and more. It is definitely an either love it or hate it movie.
Yes, my expectations were set too high. With an all star cast, I was expecting it to be at least tolerable.

I love these critiques from rottentomatoes.com

"has its small pleasures, but mostly it just flaps around like a dying fish"

"magnificent display of talents not weaved into coherent story"

"Anderson's latest endeavor will have you yawning from start to finish"

Yay, it's not just me! :-p

You probably left the movie and jumped online and started editing the GD page. You have physics forums on the brain and nothing else is going to be able to hold your attention for long.
Probably. :-p

You should think about dating someone from pf. Someone fun and exciting. Think about it and give me a call.
:biggrin:

trib, you don't want stalkers getting ahold of that. private message it to her instead. better yet, close the deal and ask her for the home phone #

The_Professional said:
trib, you don't want stalkers getting ahold of that. private message it to her instead. better yet, close the deal and ask her for the home phone #
1-900-CALL-EVO

Evo said:
1-900-CALL-EVO

when's the best time to call you?

The_Professional said:
when's the best time to call you?
:biggrin: awww, for you, the first 3 minutes are free

You get to hear my favorite quotes

"I'm bloated"

"Do I have a double chin?"

"cruciferous vegetables give me gas"