Most Persistent Myths: Debunking the Loch Ness Monster

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Myths
In summary, most myths, theories, and conspiracies that bother me are those that are easily debunked, yet keep coming back.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Which myths, theories or conspiricies most annoy you? The kind where no matter how many times you fully debunk them, they just keep coming back again and again, and will probably never go away, despite how obvious it is that they cannat be true.

A personal favorite of mine is:
"The Loch Ness Monster is a descendent of a dinosaur (plesiosaur, icthiosaur, etc.) that was cut off from the sea in prehistoric times, and remained there ever since."
No. Loch Ness is in a glacial trough and would not have been present a million years ago, and even if it were, any dinosaur would be buruied under 20 metres of till at its bed, or frozen in ice and carried out into the middle of the North Sea and dumped on its floor.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. god exists
2. people only use 10 percent of their brain
3. Earth is flat (oh yeah, those exist: www.flat-earth.org )
4. string "theory"

"Evolution is impossible because it contradicts thermodynamics."

1. Glass is a liquid which flows very slowly. ( LoL http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C01/C01Links/www.uAlberta.ca/~bderksen/florin.html )
2. Boiling water freezes faster than cold water. (Come on people, you have freezers! )
3. The universe must be bounded in order to be expanding. (sigh)
4. Horrifying amalgamations of Newtonian principles applied to SR or QM.
Many others that are not as prevalent in my bad memory.

PS. Ah yes, the evolution one always crops up.

Last edited by a moderator:
glass _is_ a liquid

Ball lightning does not exist.

John Crapper invented the toilet. [He was an engineer who designed the London sewer system. Bob Plopper invented the toilet. :rolleyes: ]

All UFO's can be explained as trivial errors in perception, lies, etc.

Occams Razor says that the simplest answer is always correct.

Occams Razor is a definitive test of concept.

Absence of [hard] evidence is evidence of absence.

We know all that we ever will know: i.e. Any claim that can't be explained must be false.

Observations that support the popular paradigm are true, those that do not are false.

Religion and science are mutually exclusive.

God does not exist.

That flat Earth web page is obviously a joke. The author can really be serious.

You can easily tell from his outlandish FAQ: Like this one

11. Does this fit in with the Hollow Earth theory?
Yes. Beneath the Earth, or hanging off the edges, is a land populated by either green-skinned women or Nazis. All those claiming to have seen this have misinterpreted it to fit in with the spurious and false Spherical Earth theory.

and this one

16. Can ships be 'lost' at the edge of the Earth?
Yes, at least in places where there are no mountains preventing this from occurring. The edge of the Earth is, in places a tremendous waterfall, and anything going over the edge will disappear into the aether. This can also happen to aircraft which fly off the edge.

No way someone can truly believe any of that.

Most persistent myths i hate are Santa, Easter bunny etc.. We will always lie to our kids about these so we can continue to brain wash them so they can grow up to be commercial whores.

hypermorphism said:
2. Boiling water freezes faster than cold water. (Come on people, you have freezers! )

Ummmm. if you search the forums you will find a disscussion about his topic which leads to the conclusion that Hot water freezes faster then cold...

Flat Earth Society

I am going to have to agree with Mapper
In the section that has the dig, it says for more info go to Dave Fischer' homepage. If you read his stuff you will find that it is all just a joke. He appears to have a lot of time on his hands. (Or do I since I am doing all this searching? :confused: :confused: )

I am not an expert or anything but I know that one of my proffesors got his PHD for doing work on the visocity of metals. AKA in the application of bridges tall buildings, ect. Why can glass not have any viscosity? It does!

Last edited:
bermuda triangle?

derekmohammed said:
Ummmm. if you search the forums you will find a disscussion about his topic which leads to the conclusion that Hot water freezes faster then cold...

Yeah, I was going to jump on that myself. Not necessarily "boiling" but there are certain threshholds. I didn't see the discussion here on the site but I believe it has to do with the circulation of warmer water transporting heat to the extremties and causing a loop that cools all of the water instead of an icy insulation layer forming quickly.

I'll have to go with Ivan's answers but I'll also add as my annoyance:

1) The belief that Occam's razor is not a useful and important part of the scientific method regardless of proper understanding and proper application.

Just because it's complex doesn't mean it's right...

derekmohammed said:
I am not an expert or anything but I know that one of my proffesors got his PHD for doing work on the visocity of metals. AKA in the application of bridges tall buildings, ect. Why can glass not have any viscosity? It does!
Yet another reason viscosity is a poor judge of character. See Physics FAQ http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/Glass/glass.html .

derekmohammed said:
Not the myth I was going after. When people mention this myth in passing (at least in my experience), they believe it holds true for *any* temperature difference, which is a false statement (hence my "boiling" example). Like most recurring myths, it is an overgeneralization of a truly interesting result.

Last edited:
TheAntiRelative said:
I'll have to go with Ivan's answers but I'll also add as my annoyance:

1) The belief that Occam's razor is not a useful and important part of the scientific method regardless of proper understanding and proper application.

Just because it's complex doesn't mean it's right...

Could you give a specific example? I don't really see where it ever applies in practice except for where either the implication are staggeringly obvious, or perhaps in a purely mathematical sense. If we have two models that are equally successful in predicting results, however one model uses one more variable than the other, based on Occam's Razor, do we say that one is true and the other not, or do we design a test for the question at hand - which is the correct model? Aside from forming the basis for personal opinions, how is it used?

cronxeh said:
glass _is_ a liquid
Glass _is not_ a liquid. We're in the myths, thread, yes? Sorry to say it, but you got suckered.

- Warren

One of the most popular physics myths around is that the coriolis force makes your toilet water drain in one direction, while toilets on the other side of the equator drain the opposite direction.

- Warren

There are so many evolution myths it's not funny.

"The eye is irreducible, and could not have developed by parts."

"Evolution is random, and only occurs by mutation."

"We have never actually seen evolution happen."

- Warren

Well, hot water actually can be frozen faster than cold water. It is called the Mpemba effect.

Chronos said:
Well, hot water actually can be frozen faster than cold water. It is called the Mpemba effect.
This is not the statement made. :smile:

Early steam powered ships often used dehydrated cowpies as fuel. They were much cheaper and lighter than wood. It was common practice to store them below deck in bundles in a room adjacent to the boiler. Unfortunately, upon exposure to water, which was not uncommon in ships of the time, fermentation resumed producing methane gas. The methane would build up and the next time someone went into the storage room with a lantern. BOOOOM! A number of ships were lost in this fashion before it was realized what was happening. The bundles were thereafter required by maritime law to be stamped "S.H.I.T." which meant "Ship High In Transit."

chroot said:
Glass _is not_ a liquid. We're in the myths, thread, yes? Sorry to say it, but you got suckered.

- Warren
From what I have read when silicate is melted and then cooled it does not return to it's crystalized form but retains the form that it had as a liquid only cooled and hardened.

TheStatutoryApe said:
From what I have read when silicate is melted and then cooled it does not return to it's crystalized form but retains the form that it had as a liquid only cooled and hardened.
Glass is an amorphous solid. It is not crystalline, and it is not liquid.

- Warren

Ivan Seeking said:
Could you give a specific example? I don't really see where it ever applies in practice except for where either the implication are staggeringly obvious, or perhaps in a purely mathematical sense. If we have two models that are equally successful in predicting results, however one model uses one more variable than the other, based on Occam's Razor, do we say that one is true and the other not, or do we design a test for the question at hand - which is the correct model? Aside from forming the basis for personal opinions, how is it used?

This reminds me of another myth, that something has to give definite results to be useful. Occam's razor is never the final word, but if you don't consider it in evaluating theories, you'll get easily bogged down by the BS. In the example you gave, all other things equal, a good scientist should favor the one with fewer parameters, but should suspend judgement until its predictions have been tested. The value of this is that we know which theories are more likely to be right and therefore worth devoting time and money to testing. In astronomy, for example, there are many more theories than there is telescope time to test them.

chroot said:
One of the most popular physics myths around is that the coriolis force makes your toilet water drain in one direction, while toilets on the other side of the equator drain the opposite direction.

- Warren

I've never understood this one at all. My toilet does not swirl at all as it flushes, and I'm not sure I've seen any (other than those that use angled water jets) that do.

chroot said:

If you can't trust "The Simpsons", who can you trust?! :cry:

" Einstien got bad grades in school even in arithmetic"
~Another untrue story, records from his scools in germany indicate that he was a good student only liked to rebel againsed the athoritating teaching style in germany at that time

SpaceTiger said:
all other things equal, a good scientist should favor the one with fewer parameters, but should suspend judgement until its predictions have been tested.

How exactly do we determine when all things are equal? When are things ever so simple that this really applies? It seems to me that this gets into [subjective] interpretations of the evidence, which effectively reduces Occams Razor to circular logic.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
How exactly do we determine when all things are equal? When are things ever so simple that this really applies?

This is basically the same perfectionist fallacy I mentioned before. Things are never exactly equal, but that doesn't mean one can't make an educated judgement.

It seems to me that this gets into [subjective] interpretations of the evidence, which effectively reduces Occams Razor to circular logic.

The number of parameters to a model is generally not a subjective thing. There are certainly cases in which the definition of "simplicity" is ambiguous, but not when you're specifically parameterizing a physical law (as in, say, dark matter or dark energy).

Mariko said:
" Einstien got bad grades in school even in arithmetic"
~Another untrue story, records from his scools in germany indicate that he was a good student only liked to rebel againsed the athoritating teaching style in germany at that time

An extension of that is "Einstein was a bad mathematician". My prof said it nicely today "You fail one test and your dogged for life!"

cronxeh said:
1. god exists
2. people only use 10 percent of their brain
3. Earth is flat (oh yeah, those exist: www.flat-earth.org )
4. string "theory"
Actually the Columbus story is the myth. My history teacher taught me that a lot of people during that time period thought the Earth was round. The only reason why Columbus was rejected because they thought it was too big for him to circumnavigate.

Adam Y. said:
Actually the Columbus story is the myth. My history teacher taught me that a lot of people during that time period thought the Earth was round. The only reason why Columbus was rejected because they thought it was too big for him to circumnavigate.
That may be true but there definitely were people who believed that the Earth was flat even as late as this last century.

derekmohammed said:
Well, the real answer is "it depends" (but isn't it always?).
Pengwuino said:
"Einstein was a bad mathematician".
Another Einstein myth:

Einstein was "just" a patent clerk. Actually, he was a technical assistant. And oh, by the way, that was mostly just a way to pay for his phd/support himself while getting his phd.

That's related to the 'Einstein's ideas were not well received' myth.

Most of the Einstein myths exist to paint the picture of an average Joe (and if Einstein was just an average guy, maybe I could be the next Einstein...).