More set fun, can u see if i'm right?

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun Set
In summary, the conversation discusses whether {S_a, S_b, S_c, S_NULL} is a partition of P(S), the power set of S. The sets in {S_a, S_b, S_c, S_NULL} are not mutually disjoint, therefore they do not form a partition of P(S). The fact that S is not equal to the union of these sets is irrelevant.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone 'im not sure if this is right or not, its about 4:00am so bare with me on typos.
Let S = {a,b,c} and let S_a be the set of all subsets of S that contain a, let S_b be the set of all subsets of S that contain b, let S_c be the set of all subsets of S that contain c, and let S_null be the set whoese only element is Null. Is {S_a, S_b, S_c, S_NULL} a partion of P(S).

I said:

No, {S_a, S_b, S_c, S_NULL} is not a partion of P(s) becuase S != S_a U S_b U S_C U S_NULL. All the sets must also be mutally disjoint to be a partition so it can't be a parition of P(S).

P stands for power set.

Thanks, if I'm wrong can you tell me what I'm mess up on or misunderstanding. There arn't any examples like this in the book to help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's true that [itex]S \neq S_a \cup S_b \cup S_c \cup S_{\emptyset }[/itex] but this is irrelevant. It so happens that [itex]\mathcal{P}(S) = S_a \cup S_b \cup S_c \cup S_{\emptyset }[/itex], but this is also irrelevant. Since the sets in [itex]\{S_a,\, S_b,\, S_c,\, S_{\emptyset }\}[/itex] are not mutually disjoint, they do not partition [itex]\mathcal{P}(S)[/itex].

Thanks for the help AKG! :biggrin:

Related to More set fun, can u see if i'm right?

1. How do you know if you're right when it comes to set fun?

Determining if you're right in set fun typically involves comparing your results with known facts or data. This could be done through experiments, observations, or calculations. Keep in mind that there is often more than one correct answer in science, so it's important to consider all possibilities.

2. What is set fun and why is it important?

Set fun is a mathematical game that involves identifying sets of three objects with specific attributes. It's important because it helps develop critical thinking skills, pattern recognition, and logical reasoning abilities. These skills are necessary for success in many fields of science and other areas of life.

3. How can I improve my performance in set fun?

Improving in set fun requires practice and a good understanding of the rules and strategies. You can also try developing your memory and visualization skills, as these can be helpful in identifying sets quickly. Additionally, studying and learning from others who are skilled in set fun can also be beneficial.

4. What are some common mistakes people make in set fun?

Some common mistakes in set fun include not considering all possible combinations, focusing too much on one attribute, or not being able to spot a set quickly enough. It's also important to pay attention to the rules and make sure you are correctly identifying sets rather than just guessing.

5. Can playing set fun improve my overall intelligence?

While playing set fun can improve specific skills such as critical thinking and pattern recognition, it is not a guarantee of overall intelligence. However, regularly engaging in mentally stimulating activities like set fun can contribute to overall brain health and potentially enhance cognitive abilities over time.