Subsets & Subspaces: Determine 0 Vector & R4

• Thread starter negation
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
In summary, we are given three subsets: S, T, and U. We need to determine which of these subsets contain the zero vector and which are subspaces of R4. By checking the conditions for a subset to be a subspace, we can see that only T contains the zero vector and is a subspace of R4. S and U do not contain the zero vector and are not subspaces. The conditions for a subset to be a subspace are that it must contain the zero vector, be closed under addition, and be closed under scalar multiplication.
negation

Homework Statement

a)Which of these subsets contain the zero vector 0 = (0, 0, 0, 0) ?
b)Which of these subsets are subspaces of R4 ?S = { (x1, x2, x3, x4) | x4 = -6 - 5 x1 }
T = { (x1, x2, x3, x4) | x4 is an integer }
U = { (x1, x2, x3, x4) | x1 + x4 ≤ -6 }

The Attempt at a Solution

If a set is closed under addition and closed under scalar multiplication, then it contains the zero vector. But isn't the definition of subset such that a vector space is a linear combination of all other vector. I'm terribly lost!

I'm really struggling badly with this. Can someone give me a leg up?

S = (x1,x2,x3,x4) and let W = (w1,w2,w3,w4)

then S+W= (x1+w1,x2+w2,x3+w3,x4+w4)

(x4+w4) = -6-5(x1+w1) (closed under addition?) (Where do I go from here?)

Let k = scalar

KW = (Kw1, kw2,kw3,kw4)

kw4 = -6-5(kw1) (closed under scalar?)

There are values for me to determine if the left hand side values equals the right hand side values.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well,
a) fill in 0000:
S yes/no ?
T yes/no ?
U yes/no ?
b) Only have to look at the yesses ! Take a vector ##\vec x## and see if ##c\vec x## is always in the candidate.

Why are you looking at S + T ?
The question is: Is S a subspace of R4 or is it not
Or am I the one misinterpreting the exercise ?

By editing my reply becomes somewhat floating in the air!

Why don't you just check that 0000 is not in S and thereby discard S as a subspace?

BvU said:
Well,
a) fill in 0000:
S yes/no ?
T yes/no ?
U yes/no ?
b) Only have to look at the yesses ! Take a vector ##\vec x## and see if ##c\vec x## is always in the candidate.

Why are you looking at S + T ?
The question is: Is S a subspace of R4 or is it not
Or am I the one misinterpreting the exercise ?

I'm equally confused too but I'm going with you.
If I get you correctly:

Let S = (x1,x2,x3,x4) = (0,0,0,0,)

S = (x1,x2,x3,x4)| x4=-6-5x1

x1 = 0, x2 = 0, x3=0,x4 = 0

x4 = -6-5(x1) = -6-5(0)=-6
-6=/= 0

0→ is not an element of S so S does not contain the 0→

Let T = (x1,x2,x3,x4) = (0,0,0,0)

T = (x1,x2,x3,x4)| x4 is an integer
x1=0, x2=0, x3=0, x4=0

I presume that by 'integer', it implies relative integer. 0 is a relative integer.
Hence (x4=0) = 0 = integer

The 0→ is an member vector in T and so T contains the 0→Let U = (x1,x2,x3,x4) = (0,0,0,0)

U = (x1,x2,x3,x4) | x1+x4 =< -6

x1 = 0, x2=0,x3=0,x4=0
x1 + x4 = 0, and so, 0 ~ -6 and ~< -6
0→ is not a member vector of U.

b) only T contains the zero vector.

Span(T) = R4 (?)

c1x1 + c2x2 + c3x3 +c4x4 = (x1,x2,x3,x4)
c4x4 = 0 since in part (a) it has been established x4 =0 and any scalar, c, times zero = 0.
Did I got it correctly?

Last edited:
negation said:
I'm equally confused too but I'm going with you.
If I get you correctly:

Let S = (x1,x2,x3,x4) = (0,0,0,0,)
No, S ≠ <0, 0, 0, 0>. S is a set of vectors in R4, subject to the condition you posted at the start of this thread. All you need to do is determine whether the zero vector satisfies the condition that x4 = -6 - 5x1
negation said:
S = (x1,x2,x3,x4)| x4=-6-5x1

x1 = 0, x2 = 0, x3=0,x4 = 0

x4 = -6-5(x1) = -6-5(0)=-6
-6=/= 0

0→ is not an element of S so S does not contain the 0→
Rather than use "→" to stand for "vector" it's better to just write vector.
negation said:
Let T = (x1,x2,x3,x4) = (0,0,0,0)

T = (x1,x2,x3,x4)| x4 is an integer
x1=0, x2=0, x3=0, x4=0

I presume that by 'integer', it implies relative integer. 0 is a relative integer.
Hence (x4=0) = 0 = integer

The 0→ is an member vector in T and so T contains the 0→

Let U = (x1,x2,x3,x4) = (0,0,0,0)

U = (x1,x2,x3,x4) | x1+x4 =< -6

x1 = 0, x2=0,x3=0,x4=0
x1 + x4 = 0, and so, 0 ~ -6 and ~< -6
0→ is not a member vector of U.

b) only T contains the zero vector.

Span(T) = R4 (?)
?
Span has nothing to do with showing that a subset of a vector space is a subspace of that vector space. Your textbook should show you the three things you need to check to demonstrate that a subset of a vector space is a subspace. Showing that the subset contains the zero vector is one of those things. What are the other two?
negation said:
c1x1 + c2x2 + c3x3 +c4x4 = (x1,x2,x3,x4)
c4x4 = 0 since in part (a) it has been established x4 =0 and any scalar, c, times zero = 0.
Did I got it correctly?

Mark44 said:
No, S ≠ <0, 0, 0, 0>. S is a set of vectors in R4, subject to the condition you posted at the start of this thread. All you need to do is determine whether the zero vector satisfies the condition that x4 = -6 - 5x1
Rather than use "→" to stand for "vector" it's better to just write vector.
?
Span has nothing to do with showing that a subset of a vector space is a subspace of that vector space. Your textbook should show you the three things you need to check to demonstrate that a subset of a vector space is a subspace. Showing that the subset contains the zero vector is one of those things. What are the other two?

One moment. Is part (a) correct?

1) zero vector must be a member vector of the set.
2) the set must be closed under addition operation
3) the set must be closed under scalar multiplication

How do I apply the above to the existing problem?

Last edited:
Yes part (a) is correct: Only T contains (0,0,0,0)
Now for part (b). We don't have to look at S and U any more, because they don't contain (0,0,0,0).
T only has as a criterion that x4 is an integer.
It satisfies 1): (0,0,0,0) is a member.
Now how about (2) ? If (a,d,c,d) and (e,f,g,h) both are members of T, what about the sum ?

BvU said:
Yes part (a) is correct: Only T contains (0,0,0,0)
Now for part (b). We don't have to look at S and U any more, because they don't contain (0,0,0,0).
T only has as a criterion that x4 is an integer.
It satisfies 1): (0,0,0,0) is a member.
Now how about (2) ? If (a,d,c,d) and (e,f,g,h) both are members of T, what about the sum ?

Is coming up with (a,b,c,d) and (e,f,g,h) a general strategy to this sort of problems?

Let u = (u1,u2,u3,u4) and v = (v1,v2,v3,v4)

By property (2): u+v = (u1+v1,u2+v2,u3+v3,u4+v4)

x1 = u1+v1, x2 = u2+v2, x3 = u3+v3, x4 = u4+v4
then, since x4 is an integer, u4+v4 is an integer because u4+v4 = 0?

Almost. A general strategy is a bit presumptuous: it's more like a beginning of the solution process to take an example and then generalize while going along.

In this case if d and h are integer, then d+h is an integer too. So I am happy rule 2 holds.
You are happy too, not because u4+v4=0 but because if u4 is an integer and v4 is an integer too, then u4+v4 is also an integer. Which means that the sum vector is indeed IN the subset.

Now what about scalar multiplication ? Is criterion 3 satisfied ?

BvU said:
Almost. A general strategy is a bit presumptuous: it's more like a beginning of the solution process to take an example and then generalize while going along.

In this case if d and h are integer, then d+h is an integer too. So I am happy rule 2 holds.
You are happy too, not because u4+v4=0 but because if u4 is an integer and v4 is an integer too, then u4+v4 is also an integer. Which means that the sum vector is indeed IN the subset.

Now what about scalar multiplication ? Is criterion 3 satisfied ?

Suppose U = (u1,u2,u3,u4) and k is a scalar an element of real number.

kU = (ku1,ku2,ku3,ku4)

x4 = ku4
Since k is a scalar an element of real number and u4 an integer, then ku4 is an integer.

negation said:
Suppose U = (u1,u2,u3,u4) and k is a scalar an element of real number.

kU = (ku1,ku2,ku3,ku4)

x4 = ku4
Since k is a scalar an element of real number and u4 an integer, then ku4 is an integer.

Are you actually thinking about this?

Back to the basic strategy: fill in something and see where it leads:

(0,0,0,5) is a member. 1.5 is a scalar. 1.5 (0,0,0,5) = (0,0,0,7.5) So here we have found a counter example. One case where a scalar times a member does not give us a member. Conclusion ?

BvU said:
Back to the basic strategy: fill in something and see where it leads:

(0,0,0,5) is a member. 1.5 is a scalar. 1.5 (0,0,0,5) = (0,0,0,7.5) So here we have found a counter example. One case where a scalar times a member does not give us a member. Conclusion ?

Where did 0,0,0,5 came from?

I invented it. It is a member of T. Anything else would have been fine too. Point is that if the fourth coordinate is an integer and you multiply by a scalar that is not an integer, then you get something with a fourth coordinate that is not an integer and that means you are no longer in the subset. That means the subset is not a subspacce.

BvU said:
I invented it. It is a member of T. Anything else would have been fine too. Point is that if the fourth coordinate is an integer and you multiply by a scalar that is not an integer, then you get something with a fourth coordinate that is not an integer and that means you are no longer in the subset. That means the subset is not a subspacce.

Yes you're right!
I forgotten that it was real number, k x integer.
It's terrible having only 4 hours of sleep each day for the past 2 weeks..

Get some rest. We won't go away all at the same time, so someone's there when you get up and have more questions !

Related to Subsets & Subspaces: Determine 0 Vector & R4

1. What is a subset in linear algebra?

A subset in linear algebra is a collection of elements that are taken from a larger set, but still maintain the same structure and properties of the larger set. In other words, all elements in the subset must satisfy the same conditions as the larger set.

2. What is a subspace in linear algebra?

A subspace in linear algebra is a subset that also has the properties of a vector space. This means that it must contain the zero vector, be closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and contain all linear combinations of its vectors.

3. How do you determine if a vector is in the subset or subspace?

To determine if a vector is in the subset or subspace, you must first check if it satisfies the conditions or properties of the subset or subspace. If it does, then it is a part of the subset or subspace. If it does not, then it is not a part of the subset or subspace.

4. What is the 0 vector in linear algebra?

The 0 vector, also known as the zero vector, is a vector that has all of its components equal to 0. In other words, it is a vector with no direction or magnitude. It is important in linear algebra because it is the additive identity element in a vector space.

5. How do you determine if a subset or subspace contains the 0 vector?

To determine if a subset or subspace contains the 0 vector, you can check if the 0 vector satisfies the conditions or properties of the subset or subspace. If it does, then the subset or subspace contains the 0 vector. If it does not, then the subset or subspace does not contain the 0 vector.