Molecular biology or particle physics

In summary: I think for many people, understanding the chemical processes that govern life is a fundamental part of understanding the universe.In summary, people who like both particle physics and molecular biology find it more fun than people who only like one or the other. It would be a good idea to take a general first year of science in university to get a feel for what you enjoy and then concentrate on fields you may not be aware of.
kashiark
What do you guys think would be more fun particle physics or molecular biology? I love science and math and i love the idea of working on the most fundamental things of the universe, but i could do more practical things in molecular biology, so I am asking you guys what do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not do a little of both and go into chemical physics/physical chemistry/quantum chemistry and concentrate on biochemical systems?

I can give you my opinion, but it would be biassed towards my own personal likes and dislikes. What I would suggest is that you take a general first year of science in university that exposes you to physics, chemistry and biology. Then you can get a feeling for what you enjoy most and you can learn about fields that you probably aren't even aware of right now.

I don't see how those like almost completely unrelated fields both pique your scientific/experimental interests.

Seriously, two different ways of approaching the science.

hmmm well i think i should go w/ choppy and as for kingdomof's question, i need to know how things work which led me to the most fundamental thing: particle physics but then i started studying biology especially molecular biology and virology and i realized that life is more than just a product of the interactions of particles over billions of years, life is amazing.

It may be alarmingly strange, but I have found myself asking the same question (theoretical particle physics or biochemistry) after 4 years of Applied Physics BSc.

I have tried some of the both subjects (that probably means I suck at both). The only thing I can say is that Quantum Chemistry (MHO after 2 months of work) seems to be quite boring, as there is not much you can be creative about when using standard programs to fold molecules/do the dynamics.

yeah quantum chemistry always seemed boring to me it's just that biochemistry is applicable but there just seems something noble about trying to understand the universe

Adding my thoughts in, i'll mostly be echoing what's been said before. You shouldn't think of particle physics being altogether more esoteric - with molecular biology it would possibly be easier to explain to the layman why your studies are of more 'practical value', but is that how you want your future to be focussed? I have a friend doing a PhD in a particle physics group, who's focussed on the side of designing particle physics detectors - this has some very interesting 'real world' applications - for instance designing new types of imaging devices will improve things like cameras etc.

What it comes down to, for me, is picking something you will enjoy. No-one else can reasonably answer that question for you - if you investigate and have questions about specific things in those fields then I'm sure people will be glad to help out.

kashiark said:
yeah quantum chemistry always seemed boring to me it's just that biochemistry is applicable but there just seems something noble about trying to understand the universe

I love how there are purported stark delineations between biochemistry and quantum mechanics in both field's ultimate goals in knowledge. It is as if the chemistry of biological systems belong in some alternative realm.

Related to Molecular biology or particle physics

1. What is the difference between molecular biology and particle physics?

Molecular biology is a branch of biology that focuses on the study of biological processes at the molecular level, including the interactions between molecules such as DNA, RNA, and proteins. Particle physics, on the other hand, is a branch of physics that focuses on the study of the fundamental particles and forces that make up the universe.

2. How are molecular biology and particle physics related?

While they are distinct fields, molecular biology and particle physics are both important for understanding the building blocks of life and the universe. Many biological processes, such as gene expression and protein folding, involve interactions between molecules that can be studied using the principles of particle physics.

3. What techniques are commonly used in molecular biology and particle physics?

In molecular biology, common techniques include DNA sequencing, polymerase chain reaction (PCR), and gel electrophoresis. In particle physics, common techniques include particle accelerators, detectors, and data analysis tools.

4. How do molecular biologists and particle physicists collaborate?

Collaboration between molecular biologists and particle physicists is crucial for advancing our understanding of complex biological processes. Particle physicists can provide expertise in advanced techniques and data analysis, while molecular biologists can provide knowledge of biological systems and their functions.

5. What are some current research topics in molecular biology and particle physics?

Some current research topics in molecular biology include gene editing, cancer biology, and synthetic biology. In particle physics, current research topics include dark matter, the search for the Higgs boson, and the study of antimatter.