Modern Algebra: Basic problem dealing with Cosets

In summary: And then on the right by b^{-1}: a= x^{-1}bb^{-1}= x^{-1}. So a is an element of H. Similarly, if Hb = Ha, then b is an element of H.In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that if H is a subgroup of G and Ha = bH for elements a and b in G, then aH = Hb. It is suggested to use individual elements of H and their inverses to prove this.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

If H is a subgroup of G and Ha = bH for elements a and b in G, show that aH = Hb.

Homework Equations

None needed

The Attempt at a Solution

I've basically just been fiddling around by right and left side multiplication of inverses and what not and can't seem to get it in the right form.. anyone want to guide me in the right direction?

My attempt:
Ha = bH --> (b^-1)Ha(a^-1) = (b^-1)bH(a^-1) = (b^-1)H = H(a^-1)

Physics news on Phys.org
Involving the inverses of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] seems unproductive, since you know nothing about them beyond that they exist.

Let [itex]h \in H[/itex]. If [itex]Ha = bH[/itex], what can you say about the element [itex]ha \in bH[/itex]?

I wouldn't try to do it that way. I would, instead, use individual elements of H. And then use inverse of the elements of H, not a and b. "Ha= bH" means that, for any x in H, there exist y in H such that xa= by. Multiply on both sides, on the right, by [itex]y^{-1}[/itex] to get [itex]xay^{-1}= b[/itex]. Now multiply both sides, on the left, by [itex]x^{-1}[/itex]: [itex]ay^{-1}= x^{-1}b[/itex].

Related to Modern Algebra: Basic problem dealing with Cosets

1. What is a coset in modern algebra?

A coset in modern algebra is a subset of a group that is obtained by multiplying a fixed element in the group by every element in the group. It is denoted by aH, where a is the fixed element and H is the group.

2. How are cosets related to subgroups?

Cosets are closely related to subgroups, as every subgroup of a group is also a coset of that group. Additionally, cosets partition a group into distinct subsets that are all isomorphic to the subgroup.

3. What is the purpose of studying cosets in modern algebra?

Studying cosets allows us to understand the structure of groups and their subgroups. It also helps us to prove theorems and solve problems related to group theory.

4. How do you determine the order of a coset?

The order of a coset is equal to the order of the subgroup that it is isomorphic to. This can be determined by finding the number of elements in the subgroup.

5. Can cosets be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, cosets have practical applications in fields such as coding theory, cryptography, and computer science. They can also be used to solve abstract mathematical problems, such as finding the number of distinct solutions to a polynomial equation.