Modeling the removal of waste from a national park

• MHB
  • Thread starter DeusAbscondus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modeling
In summary: I assume that the expression means that at point \(t=10\) the quantity of litter, Q, removed is greater than the quantity of litter removed at point \(t=9\) by an amount that is essentially equal to \(\lambda\).
DeusAbscondus
Hi folks,
This problem is from a trial test (the main test is in one week's time)
Quickly for some background to what I have done maths-wise:
1. a crash course in college level maths in the first semester of Australian academic year: (february 2012 to June 2012) followed by crash course in calculus (july till now) This, just to give you an idea of the level I'm at.

Here is the question/problem, verbatim:

"Data has been recorded over the past 10 years measuring the quantity of litter, Q, removed from a particular park. Over the period $$\frac{dQ}{dt} \text{ is less than 0 and} \frac{d^2Q}{dt^2}\text{ is greater than 0 }$$

i) Draw a neat sketch of Q against t over the last 10 years.
ii) What conclusions can be drawn about the amount of litter over this period?

I deduce from this that:
1. $f(x)$ must slope negatively for the 10 year period (placing the tangent curve below the x-axis) as f'(x) has been less than zero for that period; and
2. the concavity has been positive for the entire period (f''(x) is greater than zero) meaning that f(x) is bending concave up the whole of this time.

Finally, to graph f(x), I chose an abitrary point (what choice did I have here?) up the Q axis, and sketched part of a concave up parabola (a curve whose slope is decreasing, decreasingly) curving down towards Q=0 at point t=10.

Question 1: am i justified in my first 2 assumptions?
Question 2: would my graph be a fair representation of what we know from the problem?
Question 3: is there any reason to support the hypothesis that f(x) is quadratic, f'(x) linear negative and f''(x) positive constant?

thanks guys,
Deus Abs
PS Latex for "less than" and "greater than" ?

Physics news on Phys.org
DeusAbscondus said:
Hi folks,
This problem is from a trial test (the main test is in one week's time)
Quickly for some background to what I have done maths-wise:
1. a crash course in college level maths in the first semester of Australian academic year: (february 2012 to June 2012) followed by crash course in calculus (july till now) This, just to give you an idea of the level I'm at.

Here is the question/problem, verbatim:

"Data has been recorded over the past 10 years measuring the quantity of litter, Q, removed from a particular park. Over the period $$\frac{dQ}{dt} \text{ is less than 0 and} \frac{d^2Q}{dt^2}\text{ is greater than 0 }$$

i) Draw a neat sketch of Q against t over the last 10 years.
ii) What conclusions can be drawn about the amount of litter over this period?

I deduce from this that:
1. $f(x)$ must slope negatively for the 10 year period (placing the tangent curve below the x-axis) as f'(x) has been less than zero for that period; and
2. the concavity has been positive for the entire period (f''(x) is greater than zero) meaning that f(x) is bending concave up the whole of this time.

Finally, to graph f(x), I chose an abitrary point (what choice did I have here?) up the Q axis, and sketched part of a concave up parabola (a curve whose slope is decreasing, decreasingly) curving down towards Q=0 at point t=10.

Question 1: am i justified in my first 2 assumptions?
Question 2: would my graph be a fair representation of what we know from the problem?
Question 3: is there any reason to support the hypothesis that f(x) is quadratic, f'(x) linear negative and f''(x) positive constant?

thanks guys,
Deus Abs
PS Latex for "less than" and "greater than" ?

There is no reason to assume that \(Q=0\) at \(t=10\), that would imply no litter at the current time. Also there is no reason to suppose that Q is even heading towards zero it may level out at some positive value.

1. Yes
2. There is no reason to assume that the curve will ever reach the x-axis, or even approach it.
3. There is no reason to suppose the curve is quadratic, in fact there are good reasons to suppose otherwise. Probably something of the form: \(Q(t)=(Q(0)-Q(\infty))\exp(-\lambda t)+Q(\infty)\) with \(Q(0)>Q(\infty)\) would be better.

CB

CaptainBlack said:
There is no reason to assume that \(Q=0\) at \(t=10\), that would imply no litter at the current time. Also there is no reason to suppose that Q is even heading towards zero it may level out at some positive value.

1. Yes
2. There is no reason to assume that the curve will ever reach the x-axis, or even approach it.
3. There is no reason to suppose the curve is quadratic, in fact there are good reasons to suppose otherwise. Probably something of the form: \(Q(t)=(Q(0)-Q(\infty))\exp(-\lambda t)+Q(\infty)\) with \(Q(0)>Q(\infty)\) would be better.

CB

Thanks Cap'n. The answers above confirm that I am on the right track and correct some false assumpitons.
However, this is lost on me as I have no idea what it means:
$$Q(t)=(Q(0)-Q(\infty))\exp(-\lambda t)+Q(\infty) \text{ with }Q(0)>Q(\infty)$$

If you were to explicate this a bit I would be appreciative.

(I presume that the expression assumes knowledge of the integral, of which, in the famous words of Sergeant Schultz: "I know nothing")

Deus Abs

DeusAbscondus said:
Thanks Cap'n. The answers above confirm that I am on the right track and correct some false assumpitons.
However, this is lost on me as I have no idea what it means:
$$Q(t)=(Q(0)-Q(\infty))\exp(-\lambda t)+Q(\infty) \text{ with }Q(0)>Q(\infty)$$

If you were to explicate this a bit I would be appreciative.

(I presume that the expression assumes knowledge of the integral, of which, in the famous words of Sergeant Schultz: "I know nothing")

Deus Abs

It means that at \(t=0\) the quantity of litter removed over an interval is \(Q(0)\) and that as \(t \to \infty; \ Q(t) \to Q(\infty)\) and the proposed form has the shape specified.

(Put \(Q(0)=0.5\), \(Q(\infty)=1/10\) and \(\lambda=0.1\) and plot the function to see what is going on.Click on the graph below to see in more detail:
[graph]ldvtqukuuc[/graph]

CB

Last edited:
CaptainBlack said:
It means that at \(t=0\) the quantity of litter removed over an interval is \(Q(0)\) and that as \(t \to \infty; \ Q(t) \to Q(\infty)\) and the proposed form has the shape specified.

(Put \(Q(0)=0.5\), \(Q(\infty)=1/10\) and \(\lambda=0.1\) and plot the function to see what is going on.Click on the graph below to see in more detail:
[graph]ldvtqukuuc[/graph]

CB

Thanks kindly Cap'n.
Not least for introducing me to the fantastic graphics calculator at Desmos!

Regs,
Deus Abs

Related to Modeling the removal of waste from a national park

1. How do you model the removal of waste from a national park?

To model the removal of waste from a national park, we first need to collect data on the types and quantities of waste present in the park. This can be done through surveys, waste audits, and observation. Then, we can use mathematical and statistical models to simulate the removal process and predict the impact of different waste management strategies.

2. What are the benefits of modeling waste removal in a national park?

Modeling waste removal allows us to understand the current waste management situation in the park and identify areas for improvement. It also helps us make data-driven decisions for implementing more efficient and effective waste management practices, leading to a cleaner and healthier national park environment.

3. What factors should be considered when modeling waste removal in a national park?

Some important factors to consider when modeling waste removal in a national park include the types and quantities of waste produced, the accessibility of waste collection and disposal facilities, the cost and feasibility of different waste management strategies, and the potential impact on the environment and wildlife.

4. How accurate are the models for waste removal in a national park?

The accuracy of waste removal models depends on the quality and quantity of data used, the assumptions and variables included in the model, and the expertise of the scientist creating the model. While models cannot predict with 100% accuracy, they can provide valuable insights and inform decision-making processes.

5. How can modeling waste removal help protect the environment in a national park?

By modeling waste removal, we can identify the most effective ways to reduce waste and minimize its impact on the environment. This could include implementing recycling and composting programs, reducing single-use plastics, and properly disposing of hazardous waste. Overall, modeling waste removal can help preserve the natural beauty and biodiversity of a national park for future generations.