Qualitative plots of harmonic oscillator wave function

In summary, the conversation discusses qualitative plots of the wave function for the harmonic oscillator. The question is whether the wave function can be less than 0 and have a concave up graph for the first energy eigenfunction. The answer is that it is possible by mirroring the attached image wave function over the x-axis or by multiplying it by an arbitrary phase e^{i \pi}. Both options are considered reasonable.
eprparadox
For the harmonic oscillator, I'm trying to study qualitative plots of the wave function from the one-dimensional time independent schrodinger equation:

[tex] \frac{d^2 \psi(x)}{dx^2} = [V(x) - E] \psi(x) [/tex]

If you look at the attached image, you'll find a plot of the first energy eigenfunction for the HO. In the image, for x > 0, the the wave function is greater than 0 and the graph is concave down.

My question is: why can't the wave function be less than 0 and have the graph be concave up for this first eigenfunction? Put another way, why can't we simply mirror the attached image wave function over the x-axis and have that be a valid first energy eigenfunction of the HO?

Is it just a choice of initial conditions of psi and the derivative of psi and that we chose them to be positive?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 1.53.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 1.53.22 PM.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 521
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that the wave function is complex and a function of time. You have only plotted one part of it (the real part perhaps) at one time. If you wait half a cycle, or if you multiply it by an arbitrary phase [itex] e^{i \pi} [/itex] then it will look like what you suggested.

Hey great points, thanks so much.

Just to confirm:

If I were presented with the wavefunction in the attached image above as well as the one I described and was asked to pick which of the two was a possible wave function for the first energy eigenfunction of the harmonic oscillator, then both are reasonable, correct?

eprparadox said:
Hey great points, thanks so much.

Just to confirm:

If I were presented with the wavefunction in the attached image above as well as the one I described and was asked to pick which of the two was a possible wave function for the first energy eigenfunction of the harmonic oscillator, then both are reasonable, correct?

I think so, yes.

Related to Qualitative plots of harmonic oscillator wave function

What is a harmonic oscillator wave function?

A harmonic oscillator wave function is a mathematical representation of the probability density for a particle in a harmonic potential. It describes the behavior of a quantum mechanical particle, such as an electron, in a harmonic oscillator potential.

What do qualitative plots of harmonic oscillator wave functions show?

Qualitative plots of harmonic oscillator wave functions show the shape and behavior of the wave function at different energy levels. These plots can help us visualize the probability density of the particle and understand its behavior in the harmonic potential.

How are energy levels related to the qualitative plots of harmonic oscillator wave functions?

The energy levels of a harmonic oscillator are directly related to the peaks and valleys in the qualitative plots of its wave function. Higher energy levels correspond to more peaks, while lower energy levels correspond to fewer peaks and more valleys.

Can qualitative plots of harmonic oscillator wave functions be used to determine the energy of a particle?

Yes, the peaks in the qualitative plots of a harmonic oscillator wave function correspond to the allowed energy levels of the particle. By analyzing the number of peaks in the plot, we can determine the energy of the particle in the harmonic potential.

How do changes in the potential affect the qualitative plots of harmonic oscillator wave functions?

If the potential is changed, for example by increasing the strength of the harmonic potential, the qualitative plots of the wave function will also change. This will result in a different distribution of peaks and valleys, reflecting the new energy levels and behavior of the particle in the altered potential.