Modeling Aircraft Wing as Cantilevered Beam

In summary, the conversation revolves around the modeling of an aircraft wing as a cantilevered beam with a composite plate sandwiched between two foam materials. The speaker is looking for ways to incorporate the different materials into the model and calculate the tip deflection, considering the variation in stiffness and moment of inertia caused by the different materials and dimensions. A formula for calculating deflection and bending stress is also mentioned.
aa2105
Hi
For an initial approximate, I am modelling an aicraft wing as a cantilevered beam. I want to model the beam to incorporate the different materials used; a composite plate is sandwiched between a foam material and therefore the stiffnesses are different. How can I take this into account or figure out the overall stiffness and hence calculate the tip deflection? I plan to eithe model and lift distribution as triangular or elliptical with the peak load at the root.
For simplicity, the cross section is rectangular.

Also, as the foam is wider than the composite plate and so the moment of inertia, I, is different. How do I model this? Here is a sketch (left hand side is clamped, and RHS is free):

==============================
Foam, thickness 10mm
---------------------------------------
Composite, thickness 3mm
---------------------------------------
Foam, thickness 10mm
==============================

The cross-section looks like:

=====================
Foam, width 160mm
-------------
Composite, width 95mm
-------------
Foam, width 160mm
=====================

Thank you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
aa2105: t1 = composite thickness, t2 = foam thickness, b1 = composite width, b2 = foam width, E1 = composite tensile modulus of elasticity, E2 = foam tensile modulus of elasticity, n = E1/E2, M = bending moment, I = (n*b1*t1^3)/12 + 2(b2*t2^3)/12 + 2*b2*t2*[0.5(t1 + t2)]^2. Now compute deflection as usual. Bending stress in foam is M*(0.5*t1 + t2)/I. Bending stress in composite is n*M*(0.5*t1)/I.

Related to Modeling Aircraft Wing as Cantilevered Beam

1. What is a cantilevered beam?

A cantilevered beam is a type of beam structure that is supported only on one end, with the other end free to move. It is commonly used in aircraft wing design as it allows for a longer and more streamlined wing shape.

2. How is a cantilevered beam used in modeling aircraft wings?

A cantilevered beam is used in modeling aircraft wings by representing the wing structure as a single beam with one end attached to the fuselage and the other end free to move. This simplifies the analysis of the wing's structural integrity and allows for more accurate predictions of its performance.

3. What factors are important to consider when modeling an aircraft wing as a cantilevered beam?

When modeling an aircraft wing as a cantilevered beam, it is important to consider the material properties of the wing, such as its stiffness and strength, as well as the aerodynamic forces acting on the wing during flight. The geometry and shape of the wing must also be taken into account.

4. What are the limitations of using a cantilevered beam model for aircraft wings?

While using a cantilevered beam model for aircraft wings is a common and useful approach, it does have its limitations. For example, it does not take into account the complex internal structures and components of modern aircraft wings, such as ribs, spars, and stringers. It also does not consider the effects of wing flexibility and the interactions between different parts of the wing.

5. How can modeling aircraft wings as cantilevered beams help in the design process?

Modeling aircraft wings as cantilevered beams can help in the design process by providing engineers with a simplified and efficient way to analyze the structural integrity and performance of a wing design. It allows for quick iterations and adjustments to be made, which can save time and resources during the design phase. Additionally, it can provide valuable insights into the behavior of the wing under different conditions, helping to optimize its design for maximum efficiency and safety.