MIT Admissions for International Students: Requirements & Profile

In summary, the conversation discusses the requirements for getting into MIT, particularly for international students. It is mentioned that MIT is a very difficult school to get into and their admission policies are harsh for international students. Some commonalities among students accepted to MIT include good grades, test scores, recommendations, and a strong interest in math/science/engineering. It is also noted that having a unique "hook" or standout achievement can help in the admissions process. However, there is no one specific profile that guarantees acceptance to MIT.
Stodaire
Hello guys !

I'm a french freshman student (14 years old).
I was wondering what do i need to get into the MIT? i don't have any extra', is it too late? I'm not au supa sayajin genius so i don't think i can get an award in the IMO but i will particpate. I give maths lessons, play the guitar, speak 5 languages, writing a book and an alphabet...)What is typical profile of an intl student?

Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
most intl students write at least 2-3 alphabets by the time they apply. how many letters are there in your alphabet?

Mine is a real, for my book and this is not just drawing...
I know my english is not perfect...
So, can anyone help?

You should navigate over to the MIT website and find the email of someone in their admissions department that can help you answer the specific questions. Obviously they want you do be a great student, with high grades, extra-activities, and all that other stuff that comes with the high-school to college transition. As far as being an international student, you should first check their site and see if your issue is already addressed. If not, send over a polite email asking them whatever information you want to know about admissions and/or financials for international students.

I was going to suggest you visit http://web.mit.edu/registrar/stats/geo/index.html to get some idea of your chances of getting into MIT. But given that there are currently *no* undergraduate students from France there...

There *are* 66 graduate students though.

TMFKAN64 said:
I was going to suggest you visit http://web.mit.edu/registrar/stats/geo/index.html to get some idea of your chances of getting into MIT. But given that there are currently *no* undergraduate students from France there...

There *are* 66 graduate students though.

I have a suspicion it's because any French student that can get into MIT can also get into the grand ecoles, and they won't have to pay several tens of thousands of dollars each year.

the Grandes Ecoles are pretty hard but if I'm not accepted in MIT, i probably go to one of them. And i saw in the 2008-2009, 2 french undergraduate but i don't know how to contact them...
Do you think that french graduates can help me?...

im a colombian studying at a really really high-reputation high school in the countryin the story of the school, there has only been 1 guy that has gone to MIT and he was the guy with the typical perfect GPA, perfect SAT, highest AP Scores in all the story of the school (5 in Physics C and 5 in Calculus BC), played piano, played volleyball, NHS etc.

while I've seen other great students at my school, who don't make it to MIT, with almost perfect GPAs, not so awsome SATs, 1 or 2 extracuriculars, NHS, etc.

MIT is a very very hard school to get into, and their admission policies are particularly harsh on international students. Less than 10% of MITs student body is international (for comparison, Yale University (another extremely selective American university) has about 17% international). Obviously it is not impossible to get into MIT as an international student, but it is very very difficult. With lots and lots of hard work there is a chance, and that hard work will also help getting into lots of other good universities.

Yes, i know but what's a typical profile? i mean extra...

There is no "typical profile," if anything the typical profile is not being typical :P

Some commonalities are:

Generally speaking they have very good grades, very good test scores, very good recommendations, and clear interest/passion/skill in math/science/engineering.

I think you will also find that many many people at MIT have some sort of "hook" in that they did something that made them stand out; robotics competitions, advanced coursework, doing very well in some sort of science or math competition, some sort of invention, writing a book, research experience, published papers, overcoming some sort of difficulty, etc.

But no one thing will get you into MIT, IMO participants get rejected all the time, while people who didn't even get above a 650 SAT Math get accepted.

There is no "typical profile," if anything the typical profile is not being typical :P

Some commonalities are:

Generally speaking they have very good grades, very good test scores, very good recommendations, and clear interest/passion/skill in math/science/engineering.

I think you will also find that many many people at MIT have some sort of "hook" in that they did something that made them stand out; robotics competitions, advanced coursework, doing very well in some sort of science or math competition, some sort of invention, writing a book, research experience, published papers, overcoming some sort of difficulty, etc.

But no one thing will get you into MIT, IMO participants get rejected all the time, while people who didn't even get above a 650 SAT Math get accepted.

Related to MIT Admissions for International Students: Requirements & Profile

1. What are the requirements for international students to apply to MIT?

The requirements for international students to apply to MIT are the same as those for domestic students. They must have a strong academic background with challenging coursework in math, science, and the humanities, as well as high standardized test scores. Additionally, international students must provide proof of English proficiency through standardized tests such as TOEFL or IELTS.

2. Does MIT offer financial aid to international students?

Yes, MIT offers financial aid to international students, but it is limited and highly competitive. International students are considered for need-based financial aid on the same basis as domestic students. They must submit the CSS Profile and any other required financial aid documents by the stated deadlines in order to be considered for aid.

3. What is the profile of successful international applicants to MIT?

The profile of successful international applicants to MIT is similar to that of domestic applicants. They have exceptional academic achievements, strong test scores, and a well-rounded background in extracurricular activities. Additionally, successful international applicants have a passion for learning and a drive to make a positive impact in their communities.

4. Are there any additional requirements for international students applying to certain majors at MIT?

No, there are no additional requirements for international students applying to specific majors at MIT. All applicants, regardless of nationality, must meet the same academic and extracurricular requirements for their desired major. However, some majors may have specific course prerequisites that international students may need to fulfill before applying.

5. Can international students transfer to MIT from another university?

Yes, international students can transfer to MIT from another university, but the transfer process is highly competitive. Transfer applicants must have completed a significant amount of coursework in their desired major and have a strong academic record. They must also meet the same requirements for standardized test scores and English proficiency as freshman applicants.