Mistake in provided solutions?

• Thread starter unscientific
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about a problem attached in a picture and the use of substitutions in solving an integral with respect to x and y. It is determined that the first integral is with respect to x and not y, and a mistake was made in the calculations resulting in a missing term. The mistake is later acknowledged and corrected.
unscientific

Homework Statement

The problem is attached in the picture.

The Attempt at a Solution

If you refer to line 2 of the working, they substituted x with 'b' instead of y with 'b' since the first integral is with respect to y.

Is this a mistake or is there something more?

Attachments

• solution1.jpg
    solution1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like they're substituting x=a and x=0 on line 2, just like you'd expect.

The first integral is NOT with respect to y, it is with respect to x.

I got a different answer when I integrated with respect to y first... I am missing the additional sqrt(b) term..

Then you made a mistake somewhere :-)

clamtrox said:
Then you made a mistake somewhere :-)

You are right, I saw my mistake.. Thanks btw!

Related to Mistake in provided solutions?

1. What is considered a "mistake" in a provided solution?

A mistake in a provided solution can refer to any error or flaw in the proposed solution that deviates from the intended or expected outcome. This can include incorrect calculations, faulty assumptions, or overlooked variables.

2. How can one identify a mistake in a provided solution?

Identifying a mistake in a provided solution can be done through careful examination and evaluation of the solution's logic and methodology. This can involve checking for errors in calculations, double-checking assumptions, and cross-checking with other available data or sources.

3. What should be done if a mistake is found in a provided solution?

If a mistake is found in a provided solution, it is important to communicate this to the individual or team responsible for the solution. This allows for the mistake to be addressed and corrected, ultimately leading to a more accurate and reliable solution.

4. How can one prevent mistakes in provided solutions?

To prevent mistakes in provided solutions, it is crucial to follow a systematic and thorough approach to problem-solving. This can involve double-checking calculations, considering all relevant variables, and seeking feedback or input from others.

5. Are mistakes in provided solutions common?

Mistakes in provided solutions can occur due to human error, miscommunication, or unforeseen circumstances. While they are not uncommon, they can be minimized through careful attention to detail and rigorous problem-solving processes.