Minimum capacity rate ratio of a heat exchanger

In summary, the question is regarding a specific term in a solution to a problem where the minimum capacity rate ratio R is found to be zero. The term in question involves the specific heat of the condensing steam, which may vary in temperature and not all the steam is expected to condense. The rest of the solution makes sense, but the use of R and (mc) in the solution is unclear.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

Here is the question:
2mDpOLz.png

I am confused about the solution. In the solution they found that the minimum capacity rate ratio R = C_min/C_max was zero. This is because of the term I circled in the red which I do not understand why it goes towards infinity.

Here is the solution:
HlcAc5j.png

Could someone please explain why that term goes to infinity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not a subject I know anything about, but it seems to me that ch represents the specific heat of the condensing steam. Where the steam is condensing but not changing in temperature, specific heat = ΔQ/Δθ = ΔQ/0. That said, I'm sure some of the steam would be hotter than its condensate.

haruspex said:
That said, I'm sure some of the steam would be hotter than its condensate.

The problem statement (and the way they solve the problem) implies that not all the steam condenses. So the inlet and outlet temperatures on the steam side are supposed to be taken as 125 C. Regarding the line involving the red encircled portion, I have no idea what the max and min on (mc) or the parameter R are supposed to be used for. Anyway, the rest of the development makes perfect sense.

Chet

Related to Minimum capacity rate ratio of a heat exchanger

1. What is the minimum capacity rate ratio of a heat exchanger?

The minimum capacity rate ratio of a heat exchanger refers to the minimum acceptable ratio of the heat exchanger's capacity rate to the maximum capacity rate. It is typically expressed as a percentage and is used to determine the efficiency of a heat exchanger.

2. How is the minimum capacity rate ratio calculated?

The minimum capacity rate ratio is calculated by dividing the minimum capacity rate by the maximum capacity rate and multiplying by 100. This will give you the minimum capacity rate ratio as a percentage.

3. Why is the minimum capacity rate ratio important?

The minimum capacity rate ratio is important because it indicates the efficiency of a heat exchanger. A low minimum capacity rate ratio means that the heat exchanger is not operating at its full potential and may not be able to meet the required heat transfer demands.

4. What factors can affect the minimum capacity rate ratio of a heat exchanger?

Several factors can affect the minimum capacity rate ratio of a heat exchanger, including the design and size of the heat exchanger, the type of fluids being used, the flow rate, and the temperature difference between the hot and cold fluids.

5. How can the minimum capacity rate ratio be improved?

The minimum capacity rate ratio of a heat exchanger can be improved by optimizing the design and size of the heat exchanger, increasing the flow rate, and reducing the temperature difference between the hot and cold fluids. Regular maintenance and cleaning can also help improve the efficiency of a heat exchanger and increase its minimum capacity rate ratio.