How Does the Heat Transfer Rate Affect a Beaker of Liquid Nitrogen?

In summary, the conversation discusses the decrease in mass of liquid nitrogen in an open beaker and the calculation of the rate at which the surroundings were heating the beaker. The question of the relevance of the beaker's heat capacity is raised, with the suggestion that the beaker's temperature may be changing due to heat flow from the surroundings. It is explained that the beaker should not be thought of as having a single temperature, but rather as a thermal resistance and capacitance in a thermal circuit, with fixed temperatures at each side. It is clarified that the inside wall of the beaker, in contact with the liquid nitrogen, will have a different temperature than the outside wall, which is exposed to the surrounding air.
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

The mass of liquid nitrogen in an open beaker is found to have decreased by 46.3 g in 10 minutes. If the s.l.h of vaporisation of nitrogen at its boiling point is 1.99 x 105, at what rate were the surroundings heating the beaker? Why is the heat capacity of the beaker irrelevant?

Homework Equations

E = mc delta T
E = m l

The Attempt at a Solution

I am fine with the numerical answer but can't figure out the last part of the question. I would have thought that the specific heat capacity is relevant. I first thought it was irrelevant because the beaker and liquid nitrogen would be at the same temperature but then I thought surely the beaker must be at a higher temperature than the liquid nitrogen inside otherwise there would be no flow of heat? Also it must be higher because the temperature of the surroundings is higher again there would be a flow of heat to the beaker so the beaker's temperature must be changing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't think of the beaker as having a single temperature. It represent a thermal resistance and capacitance in a thermal circuit, and there are fixed temperatures presented at each side. Like any RC "circuit" there will be transient and steady-state conditions. Argue from there.

Likes Jimmy87
I don't think I quite follow. Do you mean the side of the beaker next to the surroundings had a different temperature to the inside part which is in contact with the liquid nitrogen?

Jimmy87 said:
I don't think I quite follow. Do you mean the side of the beaker next to the surroundings had a different temperature to the inside part which is in contact with the liquid nitrogen?
Yes. The inside wall will be held at the liquid nitrogen temperature (or very close to it depending upon the coefficient of heat transfer for the materials) while the outside wall is bathed in the outside air at (presumably) room temperature.

Related to How Does the Heat Transfer Rate Affect a Beaker of Liquid Nitrogen?

1. What is Specific Latent Heat?

Specific Latent Heat is the amount of heat required to change the state of a substance from solid to liquid or from liquid to gas, without changing its temperature.

2. How is Specific Latent Heat different from Specific Heat Capacity (SHC)?

Specific Heat Capacity measures the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree, while Specific Latent Heat measures the amount of heat needed to change the state of a substance.

3. How is Specific Latent Heat calculated?

Specific Latent Heat is calculated by dividing the amount of heat required to change the state of a substance by the mass of the substance.

4. How does Specific Latent Heat play a role in everyday life?

Specific Latent Heat is responsible for various phenomena in everyday life, such as the melting of ice, evaporation of water, and the boiling of water. It is also used in technologies like refrigeration and air conditioning.

5. Can Specific Latent Heat vary for different substances?

Yes, Specific Latent Heat can vary for different substances. Each substance has its own specific latent heat value, which is dependent on factors such as the strength of intermolecular forces and molecular structure.