Minimize an cost function involving an integral

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the objective of minimizing the cost function J(x) = \int y^2 (x+y)^2 dy, where x is the design variable. The poster shares their attempt at a solution, which involves integrating and differentiating the cost function, resulting in a minimizer of x_{\textrm{min}} = \frac{-3y}{4}. However, the expert explains that this is the minimizer for a specific value of y, and to find the overall minimizer, both x and y need to be optimized simultaneously. The background information mentions a technique where minimizing f(x,y) can give the same result as minimizing f(x) or f(y), but this is not always
Aerostd

Homework Statement

The objective is to minimize

[itex]J(x) = \int y^2 (x+y)^2 dy, [/itex]

where x is the design variable.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first integrate over y to get
[itex] J(x) = \frac{x^2 y^3}{3} + \frac{y^5}{5} + \frac{2x y^4}{4}[/itex]
Now, I differentiate over x, and solve for the minimizer, the result is

[itex] x_{\textrm{min}} = \frac{-3y}{4}[/itex]

My question is the following: If I look at the cost function, I feel that the minimizer should be zero. Why am I getting [tex]\frac{-3y}{4}[/itex] as the minimzer?Background:
I heard somewhere that if you want to minimize

[itex] J(x) = \int f(y) f(x,y) dy [/itex],

where [itex]f(x)>0[/itex] and [itex]f(x,y)>0[/itex], then you can just obtain the minimizer by minimizing f(x,y). So I constructed the example above and it doesn't work. Can anyone point to a theorem that lists this kind of result?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post and for sharing your attempt at a solution. I can understand your confusion regarding the minimizer being [tex]\frac{-3y}{4}[/itex] instead of zero. However, the reason for this is because the cost function is a function of both x and y, and when you differentiate with respect to x, you are holding y constant. Therefore, the minimizer you found is the value of x that would minimize the cost function for a specific value of y. In order to find the overall minimizer, you would need to find the values of x and y that minimize the cost function simultaneously.

Regarding your background information, it is true that in some cases, minimizing a function of f(x,y) can give the same result as minimizing f(x) or f(y). However, this is not always the case, and it depends on the specific function and its properties. I am not aware of a specific theorem that lists this result, but it is a useful technique to keep in mind when solving optimization problems.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Best of luck with your research!

Related to Minimize an cost function involving an integral

What is a cost function?

A cost function is a mathematical function that represents the cost of producing or obtaining a certain quantity of goods or services. It is typically used in optimization problems to minimize the cost involved in a process.

Why is it important to minimize a cost function?

Minimizing a cost function is important because it allows for the most efficient allocation of resources. By finding the minimum value of the cost function, we can determine the optimal solution that minimizes the cost involved in a process.

What is an integral in the context of a cost function?

In the context of a cost function, an integral represents the accumulation of small changes in the cost over a continuous range of values. It is used to calculate the total cost involved in a process, taking into account all the variables involved.

What are the steps to minimize a cost function involving an integral?

The steps to minimize a cost function involving an integral are as follows:

• Define the cost function and its variables.
  • Find the function's derivative with respect to the variable to be optimized.
  • Solve for the critical points by setting the derivative equal to zero.
  • Determine whether each critical point is a minimum, maximum, or point of inflection by using the second derivative test.
  • Evaluate the cost function at each critical point and choose the minimum value as the optimal solution.

What are some applications of minimizing a cost function involving an integral?

Minimizing a cost function involving an integral has many applications in different fields, including economics, engineering, and physics. Some examples include optimizing production costs in manufacturing, minimizing energy consumption in transportation systems, and determining the most cost-effective design for a structure.