Minimising the action for surface area in AdS

In summary: U(r) = (L^2-r^2)^-1/2 over an interval of positive r. In summary, The conversation discusses an action that needs minimizing and the use of EL equations to solve for U(r). The speaker also mentions attempts at using Hamiltonian mechanics and Noether's Theorem. The interval of integration is between 0 and (L^2-c^2)^1/2, and the problem is trying to derive U(r)=(L^2-r^2)^-1/2. However, it is suggested that U=0 may be the best solution.
mattie_p
Hello people.
I've got an action which needs minimising

[tex]\int dr \ r \sqrt{U'^{2}+U^{4}}[/tex]

Where U(r). Simply plugging this into the EL equations yields a nasty looking 2nd order nonlinear differential equation. I'm just wondering if there's an easier way of solving for U(r). I've tried passing over into Hamiltonian mechanics but that seemed to confuse matters slightly (I probably got it wrong). Wondering if there's some implementation of Noether's Theorem that could give a solvable differential equation. As always, much thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I see integral w.r.t. tau and U is a function of what? r?

I see integral w.r.t. tau and U is a function of what? r?
BTW: What is the interval of integration?

Hey, thanks for having a look at this,
I think latex has just made the r look like a tau. It's meant to read
Integral dr*r*(U'^2 + U^4)^1/2

Also, the integration region is between 0 and some constant L, but that will lead to an inifinity, so the problem is actually integrated between 0 and (L^2-c^2)^1/2. I know the answer is roughly U(r)=(L^2-r^2)^-1/2, but my real problem is trying to derive this.

Well, it seems the integral may very well be zero with the right choice of U' and U over an interval of positive r. Considering the even powers involved, there are not many choices other than U= (?)

ans: U=0 (identically).

Related to Minimising the action for surface area in AdS

1. What is meant by "minimising the action" in AdS?

In AdS (Anti-de Sitter) space, the action refers to a mathematical quantity that describes the dynamics of a system. Minimising the action means finding the solution or configuration that satisfies the equations of motion and leads to the most stable state of the system.

2. How does minimising the action relate to surface area in AdS?

In AdS, the action is directly proportional to the surface area of a region in the space. Therefore, minimising the action also minimises the surface area, leading to a more compact and stable configuration.

3. Why is minimising the action for surface area important in AdS?

In AdS, minimising the action for surface area is important because it allows us to study and understand the properties and behavior of the system in a more simplified and elegant manner. It also helps us to identify the most stable and physically relevant solutions.

4. What techniques or methods are used to minimise the action for surface area in AdS?

There are various mathematical and physical techniques used to minimise the action for surface area in AdS, such as the variational principle, the principle of least action, and the Hamiltonian formalism. These methods involve finding the critical points of the action and solving the corresponding equations of motion.

5. What are the applications of minimising the action for surface area in AdS?

Minimising the action for surface area in AdS has applications in various fields of physics, such as string theory, black hole physics, and quantum field theory. It also has implications in understanding the behavior of strongly interacting systems and the holographic principle.