Calc II: i don't understand integral for surface area

In summary, when finding the volume of a function rotated about the x-axis, the differential element is simply the area multiplied by dx. This can be represented by integrating pi*y^2*dx. However, when finding the surface area, the differential element must account for the function's slope, hence the use of the frustum. Using a cylindrical differential element for surface area results in discrepancies and is not accurate. The choice of differential element for volume and surface area may differ due to the width being very small and not necessarily requiring the shape to conform to the surface. This can be seen by comparing different coordinate systems such as cylindrical and spherical. Therefore, while it is acceptable to use a cylindrical differential element for volume, it is not suitable for
iScience
if we want to find the volume of a function revolved about the x-axis all we do is find the differential element..

dV=(Area)dx =[itex]\pi[/itex]y2 , where y=y(x)

so then..

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\pi[/itex]y2dx

the differential element looks like this...

http://imgur.com/HwrihKA,hjkKFzV,cpUPsvZ,YKIyTIB

so i add a bunch of these up and i get the total volume. okay... fine..

but then we get to surface area.. and the differential element looks like this...

http://imgur.com/HwrihKA,hjkKFzV,cpUPsvZ,YKIyTIB#1

please don't get into the equations trying to explain to me where the frustum equation came from, i know where it came from, and i understand the rationale for using the frustum as the differential element to account for the discrepancies due to the function's slope. the trouble I am having is.. if we must choose our differential element for the surface area to be the frustum, then why is it okay to choose the cylinder as the differential element for finding the volume?

due to the fact that a differential element of a frustum takes into consideration the slope of the function, i can see why this would be more accurate/preferrable over just the side surface area of the cylinder,

ie...

[itex]\int[/itex]2[itex]\pi[/itex]ydx

umm.. here just for the hell of it i drew a picture

http://imgur.com/HwrihKA,hjkKFzV,cpUPsvZ,YKIyTIB#2

Now consider the cylindrical differential element for the volume of the rotated function

http://imgur.com/HwrihKA,hjkKFzV,cpUPsvZ,YKIyTIB#3

(probably going to have to click to enlarge the image)

basically my question is.. if it is NOT okay to use the cylindrical differential element to find the surface area ie...

[itex]\int[/itex]2[itex]\pi[/itex]ydx

then why is it okay to use the cylindrical differential element to find the volume?

look at the image again (and enlarge it)
http://imgur.com/HwrihKA,hjkKFzV,cpUPsvZ,YKIyTIB#3

there is leftover crap from the diff. element sagging outside all over the actual volume of the rotated function.

please help, I've had trouble with this ever since.. well.. calc II which was two years ago

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
All integration is just a fancy way of adding up.
The trouble I am having is.. if we must choose our differential element for the surface area to be the fructum, then why is it okay to choose the cylinder as the differential element for finding the volume?
Because the width is very small ... you don't have to take the cylinder for the volume element ... have a go using something other than a cylinder, and see what happens. i.e. perhaps a truncated cone height dx?

What the hell is a fructum? It's frustum.

SteamKing said:
What the hell is a fructum?
It's Latin for fruit.

lol sorry guys.. yes, i meant frustum :D

Did you try the exercise in post #2 yet?

From what you wrote you seem to actually have a grasp on why the area element needs to conform to the shape of the surface, but you are having trouble making the connection to the volume element not having to conform to the surface.

I suspect that some of the trouble may come from that you are only looking at cases with a particularly symmetry (cylindrical) and some of the details may be hidden. If you tried spherical coordinates, for eg, you'll find the basic volume and surface elements have different shapes again. i.e. you can express volume element ##\small dxdydz## as ##\small r^2\!\sin\!\theta\; drd\theta d\phi## even though one of the volumes is a cube and the other a sort of truncated wedge thing. (Imagine you want the volume of a sphere ... don't slice it up: start by specifying a volume element ##\small d\tau## at a particular position ##\small \vec{r}## and adding up the volumes of all the elements.)

You can try the same comparisons for surface elements.

Related to Calc II: i don't understand integral for surface area

1. What is the purpose of calculating surface area using integrals in Calc II?

The purpose of calculating surface area using integrals in Calc II is to find the total area of a three-dimensional surface. This can be useful in various real-world applications such as calculating the area of a curved roof or determining the amount of paint needed to cover a curved surface.

2. How do integrals relate to surface area?

Integrals relate to surface area by using the concept of infinitesimal rectangles to approximate the area of a curved surface. By breaking down the surface into smaller and smaller rectangles, the sum of their areas can be calculated using integrals to give an accurate measurement of the overall surface area.

3. What is the process for finding surface area using integrals?

The process for finding surface area using integrals involves breaking down the surface into infinitesimal rectangles, finding the area of each rectangle using the formula for area, and then adding up all the areas using integrals. This process can be visualized using Riemann sums and can be made more accurate by using smaller rectangles.

4. What are some common challenges students face when learning about integrals for surface area in Calc II?

Some common challenges students may face when learning about integrals for surface area in Calc II include understanding the concept of infinitesimal rectangles, visualizing the process of using integrals to find surface area, and applying the correct formulas for area in different situations.

5. How can I improve my understanding of integrals for surface area in Calc II?

To improve your understanding of integrals for surface area in Calc II, it is helpful to practice with different types of surfaces and to break them down into smaller rectangles in order to visualize the process. It is also important to review the formulas for area and to understand how they are applied in different scenarios. Seeking help from a tutor or classmate can also be beneficial in understanding the material.