Parameterize an offset ellipse and calculate the surface area

In summary, the conversation discusses parametrizing a surface and calculating its surface area. The original equation for the domain describes an ellipse, but attempts to parametrize it using polar coordinates did not result in the desired shape. It is then suggested to simplify the problem and solve it without parametrization. It is also noted that shifting the surface to the origin does not change the result of integrating a vector field over the surface. Finally, it is concluded that the surface area is √2 times the area of the ellipse.
Thales Costa
I'm given that:

S is the surface z =√(x² + y²) and (x − 2)² + 4y² ≤ 1

I tried parametrizing it using polar coordinates setting
x = 2 + rcos(θ)
y = 2rsin(θ)
0≤θ≤2π, 0≤r≤1
But I'm not getting the ellipse that the original equation for the domain describes
So far I've tried dividing everything by 4 and also tried the method of completing the square, but no success.

I'm supposed to calculate the surface area of S. But without the parametric equations, calculating the normal vector is impossible.

EDIT: Messing with the equations on Wolfram I got the following:

x = 2 + cos(u)
y = (1/2)sin(u)
0≤ u ≤2π

But when I multiply the cosine and sine by r and make r vary from 0 to 1, the parametric plot changes to something completely different

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you need to parametrize? What is the shape of the unconstrained surface? Does the angle between the normal to the surface and the ##z## axis change over the surface? If not, can you simplify the problem and solve it without parametrization?

andrewkirk said:
Are you sure you need to parametrize? What is the shape of the unconstrained surface? Does the angle between the normal to the surface and the ##z## axis change over the surface? If not, can you simplify the problem and solve it without parametrization?
So I didn't need to parametrize the surface.

It was a matter of just simply calculating dS, which is the cross-product between dz/dx and dz/dy. dS = √2 dA

Then integrating over the surface ∫∫√2⋅dA I would get that the surface area I was looking for is √2 times the Area of the ellipse.

I was going in the harder direction trying to figure out the integral that would give me the area of the ellipse. And this I still don't know how.

Thales Costa said:
I was going in the harder direction trying to figure out the integral that would give me the area of the ellipse. And this I still don't know how.
If you change the inequality to an equality that gives you the equation of the ellipse. The area won't change if you translate it in the x direction, so translate it so that the first term becomes just ##x^2##. Now you have an ellipse centred on the origin. If you just integrate the area under the branch in one of the four quadrants and multiply that by four, there's your area of the ellipse.

andrewkirk said:
If you change the inequality to an equality that gives you the equation of the ellipse. The area won't change if you translate it in the x direction, so translate it so that the first term becomes just ##x^2##. Now you have an ellipse centred on the origin. If you just integrate the area under the branch in one of the four quadrants and multiply that by four, there's your area of the ellipse.

This is what I figured. I took me a while to understand that I was integrating a vector field over a surface and that the position of the surface could be shifted to the origin without changing the result.

So integrating the field over x² +4y² = 1 would be the same as integrating it over the original surface. Is that correct?

Thales Costa said:
So integrating the field over x² +4y² = 1 would be the same as integrating it over the original surface. Is that correct?
It would if you also shifted the vector field in the X direction by -2.
But you don't need to worry about that. Above you concluded that
Thales Costa said:
I would get that the surface area I was looking for is √2 times the Area of the ellipse.
Once you've reasoned your way to there, you can forget about the vector field and just calculate the area of the ellipse.

Related to Parameterize an offset ellipse and calculate the surface area

1. What is an offset ellipse?

An offset ellipse is a type of ellipse that is not centered at the origin, but instead has a center at a point (h,k) on the coordinate plane.

2. How do you parameterize an offset ellipse?

To parameterize an offset ellipse, you can use the following parametric equations:

x = h + a*cos(t)

y = k + b*sin(t)

where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse, a is the length of the semi-major axis, b is the length of the semi-minor axis, and t is the parameter representing the angle around the ellipse.

3. How do you calculate the surface area of an offset ellipse?

The formula for calculating the surface area of an offset ellipse is:

Surface Area = π * a * b

where a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

4. Can an offset ellipse have negative values for its semi-major and semi-minor axes?

Yes, an offset ellipse can have negative values for its semi-major and semi-minor axes. This will result in a reflected or rotated ellipse.

5. What are some real-world applications of offset ellipses?

Offset ellipses can be used to describe the orbits of planets and satellites, the shape of planetary rings, and the paths of comets and asteroids. They can also be used in engineering and architecture to create curved structures such as arches and domes.